Dogs for diagnosing corona (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Researchers then set up samples from 1,000 people at random, ordered the dogs to pinpoint the infected ones — and found the animals were accurate 94 percent of the time, according to the study.
Not only are they cute and cuddly but dog's are capable of doing so much more if we pay attention. Here is an article on their ability to sniff out the pandemic with numbers that outdo the current tests we use. Just imagine if streamlined this kind of detection system. It would make so much possible!

Previously, dogs have been used to detect cancer, etc with excellent accuracy. We haven't really, in practical terms, used that yet. I guess it doesn't really suit our current medical system; maybe a new system would be better able to handle such innovations? We can hope! They are used in some places, eg children's cancer wards, as companions.

Here's the link which includes a video: https://nypost.com/2020/07/29/dogs-can-sniff-out-coronavirus-with-94-accuracy-study-says/

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I heard second-hand that dogs are also affected by the virus, hence why the sniff dogs have their own style of masks.

• Intriguing Post
  • I agree
Reactions: Linda and Lila

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
I have to wonder if some dogs have a highly intelligent spirit and they are here to help us at this time. We've had 2 dogs. One was dumb as a box of hair (Shih Tzu). One (cockapoo) was so smart she baffled us! This is the one that learned to spell w-a-l-k. And learned not to get on the couch until we left for work. (Which I found out when I drove my car to work, stopped at the end of the street, and walked back to the house to find her on the couch!) We also taught her to play dead when we pointed a finger gun at her and said "Bang!" She would roll onto her back. lol. We also taught her to say "I love you".

But that Shih Tzu, we could not teach her to stop running into walls. Cute dog, great with kids, dumb as a brillo pad.

And then there's my wife's beagle who would push a chair up to a counter so he could get at food. He has also pulled on a table cloth to get the food on the table, onto the ground. Beware of beagles, they are sometimes very smart. And they are VERY driven by their nose, and often by food.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Lila and Snowmelt
OP
Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I have to wonder if some dogs have a highly intelligent spirit and they are here to help us at this time. We've had 2 dogs. One was dumb as a box of hair (Shih Tzu). One (cockapoo) was so smart she baffled us! This is the one that learned to spell w-a-l-k. And learned not to get on the couch until we left for work. (Which I found out when I drove my car to work, stopped at the end of the street, and walked back to the house to find her on the couch!) We also taught her to play dead when we pointed a finger gun at her and said "Bang!" She would roll onto her back. lol. We also taught her to say "I love you".

But that Shih Tzu, we could not teach her to stop running into walls. Cute dog, great with kids, dumb as a brillo pad.

And then there's my wife's beagle who would push a chair up to a counter so he could get at food. He has also pulled on a table cloth to get the food on the table, onto the ground. Beware of beagles, they are sometimes very smart. And they are VERY driven by their nose, and often by food.
Yep, that's dogs; each their own personality + character.
Kinda like humans that way, lol:ROFL:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)