Help Crystal Identification (Part Two) - Post Your Photos (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
That's an interesting one. Beats me. The red/orange ones look like agate, but … ?

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Are those little blue opals in the big bottom piece?

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
If they were opals they'd have that 'opalescent' quality that always reminds me of flowing water. That one can be tough to capture on film.

• Magical
Reactions: Maryann

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I'd expect different colours, but the sheen almost looks like ammolite. If so, it's a real find. It does look tough to take a picture of that sheen.

Reactions: Maryann

bri_f35

Just Arrived
Jul 19, 2020
Hi! I am new here and was hoping you could help me identify some crystals I’ve recently inherited. My grandmother was an avid crystal and gemstone collector, and when she passed she left me her collection. I learned a lot from her before she passed and I was able to identify many of them, but these I am not 100% sure of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Nice pieces - so great when they are handed down. We've got a couple of people who are good at identification, and they should be along soon.
Lila Maryann

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
We've got a couple of people who are good at identification, and they should be along soon.
I'm going to have to bow out of rock-id service for a while. Happy to relinquish my spot to others with a keener eye than mine. <3

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
In that first photo I think I see some pyrite in that dark green rock to the left. The light green one at the top could be jade or agate.
In the next photo the lavender one toward the bottom reminds me of the glow that chalcedony can get. The chunky yellow pieces also remind me of something though I can't place it.
The third photo has what looks like a piece of shiny peacock ore to the right though I'd expect to possibly see some purples and/or greens; not just blue.
I wonder if your next piece has fluorite. I think I see cubic shapes there that fluorite makes.
Could be garnet on the dark rock that is next. Hard to tell in the light.
Left to right in your last pick I'd guess sodalite and agate. Not sure about that green shaded one.

I hope that gives you at least a start.

bri_f35

Just Arrived
Jul 19, 2020
In that first photo I think I see some pyrite in that dark green rock to the left. The light green one at the top could be jade or agate.
In the next photo the lavender one toward the bottom reminds me of the glow that chalcedony can get. The chunky yellow pieces also remind me of something though I can't place it.
The third photo has what looks like a piece of shiny peacock ore to the right though I'd expect to possibly see some purples and/or greens; not just blue.
I wonder if your next piece has fluorite. I think I see cubic shapes there that fluorite makes.
Could be garnet on the dark rock that is next. Hard to tell in the light.
Left to right in your last pick I'd guess sodalite and agate. Not sure about that green shaded one.

I hope that gives you at least a start.
Thank you for your help!!!

• Compassionate
Reactions: Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
My first thought was that this is a big beauuuutiful piece of blue calcite., though that very blue shade in your first pic could perhaps be angelite too, like One65 mentioned.

jahnsolo

Just Arrived
Aug 4, 2020
I contacted the museum of natural history and they confirmed it was Beryl. Rough aquamarine

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Wow, even more beautiful. And such a large piece!
You are in luck.

Hmiller8156

Just Arrived
Aug 20, 2020
hi, i need help identifying my raw crystals.

I think i have some right but others i am unsure about. Please let me know what you thinkIMG_20200820_170809_844.jpg

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
hi, i need help identifying my raw crystals.
Looks like you did a great job on the top batches. You've got some interesting pieces in the bottom photo. We've got a person who is good at identifying, but she is on vacation right now. I'm sure she can help when she returns.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
It looks like you have your top two photos already named so I'll do my best with the bottom photo. They're a bit small so some detail is being guessed at: hence the ?s.

I believe you may have some obsidian there in the middle.
The top right: maybe nephrite jade?
Under it, bottom right: I've seen serpentine that looks similar.
Middle right: perhaps mookite?
The light blue one starting the second row: most likely blue calcite from what I think I see of its form, but it could be anything from celestite or aquamarine to fluorite.
Under that: is that tiffany stone?
Second over to the right in second row seems to twinkle a bit: perhaps pyrite?
The big black one with markings in it that is second over in the last row looks like it may be fossilized? Too small to really check out that theory.

I hope this gives you a start.

Prospector Rai

Just Arrived
Sep 27, 2020
Hi So I have both of these which I found myself, the white opaque looking one I got in texas, my initial impression was either snow quartz or something of the sort, and the reddish brown one I found in New Mexico, and I belive it to be petrified wood, I could be mistaken just looking for any reaffirmation.
Screenshot_20200927-081210_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200927-081158_Gallery.jpg

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
am trying to identify these two buddies of mine, any idea my friends??
I've got a couple of pieces of snow quartz that look just like yours. Petrified wood takes on the surrounding mineral content, so it differs from place to place. While I've not seen any with those colors, it does have the markings of wood grain. Lila is better at this than I am, so we will wait around for her. (We've got people from many time zones, so sometimes it takes a while to get an answer.)

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Hi So I have both of these which I found myself, the white opaque looking one I got in texas, my initial impression was either snow quartz or something of the sort, and the reddish brown one I found in New Mexico, and I belive it to be petrified wood, I could be mistaken just looking for any reaffirmation.
View attachment 10189View attachment 10190
I agree with you about the quartz in the first one though I am pretty sure I also see glints of calcite. I love this particular combination.
Another possibility that I can't differentiate in this picture, is whether there are zeolites there such as stilbite. If so, that is a real find.

I see why you say petrified wood for the second. I don't know enough about it to be sure and would look for markers like the general shape of the piece but there does seem to be a grain there. The pieces I have found that I am quite sure of show the shape of the limb or bark on the outside. Since this is a polished cut through the stone you'd have to check the outside. It does seem like something agatized/jasper such as petrified wood.
I agree with Linda that familiarity with the local wood types is really helpful.

What I don't doubt is that you've found some beautiful pieces.
Hopefully you'll have the opportunity to go out and look for more:-D

Prospector Rai

Just Arrived
Sep 27, 2020
I've got a couple of pieces of snow quartz that look just like yours. Petrified wood takes on the surrounding mineral content, so it differs from place to place. While I've not seen any with those colors, it does have the markings of wood grain. Lila is better at this than I am, so we will wait around for her. (We've got people from many time zones, so sometimes it takes a while to get an answer.)
Wow that makes me really happy, because I'm a Capricorn and Snow quartz is one of my stones, I guess the universe set it in my path, I had my eye on this one for some time:)

• Cool Post

Prospector Rai

Just Arrived
Sep 27, 2020
I agree with you about the quartz in the first one though I am pretty sure I also see glints of calcite. I love this particular combination.
Another possibility that I can't differentiate in this picture, is whether there are zeolites there such as stilbite. If so, that is a real find.

I see why you say petrified wood for the second. I don't know enough about it to be sure and would look for markers like the general shape of the piece but there does seem to be a grain there. The pieces I have found that I am quite sure of show the shape of the limb or bark on the outside. Since this is a polished cut through the stone you'd have to check the outside. It does seem like something agatized/jasper such as petrified wood.
I agree with Linda that familiarity with the local wood types is really helpful.

What I don't doubt is that you've found some beautiful pieces.
Hopefully you'll have the opportunity to go out and look for more:-D
At first I was skeptical because I didn't realize how much quartz could differ from one piece to the next, but I know that when I found it I was really happy as well as drawn to it. I've found other stones before that I had trouble identifying but this ones particular energy I decided to keep nearby:), Thanks for the info I really appreciate it!!!

• Love this post!

Fathima

Involved Wayfarer
Jun 17, 2019
Do you think that this crystal is also an elestial?
View attachment 9267
This reminds me of something when I moved into my current home it was just laying there at the back, never was into crystals or so. But it was huge and I could not carry it but I did end up burying it, wish I could remember where so I could dig it up.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
This reminds me of something when I moved into my current home it was just laying there at the back, never was into crystals or so. But it was huge and I could not carry it but I did end up burying it, wish I could remember where so I could dig it up.
It sounds like the rocks are coming to you; some wonderful ones. I hope you get the change to enjoy them :)

• Compassionate
Reactions: Fathima

Prospector Rai

Just Arrived
Sep 27, 2020
Hey RT Friends, So due to Covid in the States I Ordered Some crystals online and these 5 were gifted with my order but came with no description, I've been trying to identify them, what assumptions I came up with were for the blue: Sapphire, Darker Blueish Black: Originally thought it could be blue kyanite but my roommate said it looked like an onyx, The Green: Honestly I don't really know maybe an aventurine, The Red: I had no clue and my roommate said he believed it could be red tigers eye, The White: I thought it was a form of quartz. I love crystals & am just seeking to hopefully name these lovelies ☺
20201003_090154.jpg20201003_090245.jpg20201003_090307.jpg20201003_090323.jpg20201003_090335.jpg20201003_090351.jpg20201003_090400.jpg20201003_090414.jpg20201003_090431.jpg20201003_090456.jpg20201003_090507.jpg

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
<3
The first looks like red tiger's eye.
Next, I believe is sodalite followed by aventurine (with those little sparkles showing up well in the pic).
The fourth one is tugging on my memory and I'll let you know if I remember it.
The last is most likely to be a nice piece of tumbled quartz, I believe.

I hope this helps, delay and all.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Prospector Rai

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)