The Colors We're Dyeing For (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I ran into this photo which I couldn't find the original source of, so I don't have a follow up article, but I don't think this is something we have ever discussed on the forum.

download.jpg
A google search of "is food coloring good for you?" brings up the following result first:
#1 – Artificial food coloring is linked with hyperactivity, allergic reactions, and tumor growth. Because of these measures, many European manufacturers are opting for more natural dyes over the chemical dyes, but here in the U.S. manufacturers are still dumping toxic colorings into processed food. (Source)​
Something to be mindful of.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Every parent knows about red dye. Just a few minutes after ingestion, we see take-off. Heard a neighbor child yelling one evening. Went out to see a kid running around all over the place. Asked the parents if they gave him an expresso, and they said it was a piece of red velvet cake (red food coloring). I laughed, said good luck, and went back inside.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Red velvet cake made w red food coloring makes my throat hurt. Beets is a better alternative for dye. It is best to look up natural colors and make it yourself.

On Tuesday, I made an orange fondant pumpkin and stuck it on top of a cupcake. I let my kids share one cupcake and that was a mistake, as it made them absolutely hyperactive. It is also a lot of sugar!

I try to stay away from artificial dyes. Anyone here have any experience making your own natural & safe to eat dyes?

Reactions: Alain and Lila

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I use a very old and original recipe for red velvet cake. Years ago, I stopped using red dye, so now it is pink velvet cake. The cocoa gives it the pink color.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Red velvet cake made w red food coloring makes my throat hurt. Beets is a better alternative for dye. It is best to look up natural colors and make it yourself.

On Tuesday, I made an orange fondant pumpkin and stuck it on top of a cupcake. I let my kids share one cupcake and that was a mistake, as it made them absolutely hyperactive. It is also a lot of sugar!

I try to stay away from artificial dyes. Anyone here have any experience making your own natural & safe to eat dyes?
I've done a little bit of 'natural dye' for easter eggs. Not yet with food, at least not formally. I guess when I think about it I do sometimes choose a fruit with a particular colour to add the visual zest to a dish.
A key seems to be not mixing too many colours together as you get some version of brown that is often unappetizing looking.

Reactions: Alain and Anaeika

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Laron, thanks for posting on this important health issue.

Sometimes I feel like we are using ourselves and our children as guinea pigs. When I look at this issue, it is one of those times.
A quick look at just about any parental-driven site on ADHD (i.e hyperactivity disorder) will reveal lots of comments about absolutely staying away from food dyes and additives because of the predictably unpredictable effects on these sensitive souls.

Reactions: Anaeika

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
I use a very old and original recipe for red velvet cake. Years ago, I stopped using red dye, so now it is pink velvet cake. The cocoa gives it the pink color.
That sounds good. Will you share your recipe w me please?

Biting into artificial red velvet is comparable to pen ink. It is such a weird bitter flavor. I think I may be the only one who perceives the taste that way?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)