Sashiko - Japanese Art of Clothing Repair (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I knew about the art of ceramic repair, which produces the most gorgeous results. To my surprise, I discovered Sashiko, which is the Japanese art of clothing repair. I take pretty good care of my clothes, and they last a long time, but tears still happen. I have one t-shirt that is very old, but so soft and comfortable. I wanted a way for it to look nice - and voila. I'll post my photo at the end. I used what I had, which was tightly woven fabric and regular needle and thread. It definitely looks like it is from kindergarten. However, I find hand sewing very calming, and I'm happy with my result. New ideas are blooming in my head right now.

Found a few nice sites with good info.

Examples of patterns.

1638056538732.png

My first sashiko.

sashiko.jpg

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Once again, the Japanese bringing sacred geometry and nature into the Court of the practical.

• Love this post!
  • I agree
Reactions: Lila and Linda
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I'm wearing my shirt today, and I really like it. I've received a request to do one for another person, and it will be fantastic with the fabric I have in mind for the mending piece. This is fun - like wearing a bit of love.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Lila and Snowmelt

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
This reminds me of a pair of jogging pants which got one hole, then another, each of which I patched with a travel patch from someplace I'd enjoyed going to. I liked the idea so much that I decided to cover the pants in patches.

I realize that the skill level required to sew a patch is not the same as sewing the patterns and I see a real resemblance in the idea too. That pair of pants ran into an issue with the patches not being stretchy where the original pants were, so when things got busy I put them aside with a few patches not yet placed. They're still there. Thanks for bringing me back.

The entire idea of quilting came from this, as do the 'repair centers' where people gather to share ideas and knowledge about how to repair whatever needs repairing. It's a lot like making music or any other art form together, since we humans do our best when we consciously intend to work together; amazing things always seem to come out of that!

What a beautiful world ours would become if we were to cherish our old whatevers (dishes, clothes, people, etc) and build upon what is there rather than throwing out the old just for the sake of throwing it out. To do so would mean we could see the beauty in where we've been and wish to carry it forward in some way, as beautifully as possible :-D

• Love this post!
  • Divine
Reactions: Snowmelt and Linda
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The entire idea of quilting came from this, as do the 'repair centers' where people gather to share ideas and knowledge about how to repair whatever needs repairing. It's a lot like making music or any other art form together, since we humans do our best when we consciously intend to work together; amazing things always seem to come out of that!
That came up in one of my dreams - like a farmer's market but with people needing help and others able to help. It is a wonderful, positive energy.

The small group I've shared my mending with is very interested. I've picked up another request. I think one reason for the interest is that hand sewing is not known by many younger people.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Lila
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Working on a smaller piece and got out my embroidery hoop. It was my grandmothers, and as I looked at it, I realized that it likely was older than I am. Feeling a sense of continuity.

• Divine
Reactions: Snowmelt and Lila

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
When I was 7, I did a tie-dye of fabric, then embroidered it and gave it to my parents for Christmas. I don't think I ever saw it again. But I remember the amount of honesty and integrity I sewed into the piece.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Linda
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I'll not be showing my latest projects because they are awful. Fortunately, I've been working on old shirts that I like but only wear around the house. Now I have more info on what does not work. When the repair is small, something with a low contrast looks better. I'm using embroidery needles and quilting thread because the fabrics have a tighter weave. On a whim, I bought a shiny copper color thread (rayon) and really like the way it looks.

• Winner
Reactions: Snowmelt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)