Pumping iron is for grandmothers, too (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
[Replies closed as the article has been promoted to the front page. You can find it here to comment.—Laron]

To everyone who is younger - don't stop exercising!

The other day I was sitting in the front yard with our four-legged visitor, and a neighbor came over to say hello. He started to walk away and turned back saying "OMG, do you need help getting up?". Sigh........

I used to be very active - swam a mile, hiked, walked in races, rode my bike long distances, skied, and even tried hang-gliding. Where did this woman go, and more importantly, how can I get her back.

I'm back to walking and stretching with some basic yoga. I've heard that weight bearing exercise, such as walking, was very important, but I came across this article about the value of lifting weights.

Many people think of weight training as exercise that augments muscle size and strength, which is certainly true. But Schoenfeld says the “load” that this form of training puts on bones and their supporting muscles, tendons and ligaments is probably a bigger deal when it comes to health and physical function.

“Resistance training counteracts all those bone losses and postural deficits,” he says. Through a process known as bone remodeling, strength training stimulates the development of bone osteoblasts: cells that build bones back up. While you can achieve some of these bone benefits through aerobic exercise, especially in your lower body, resistance training is really the best way to maintain and enhance total-body bone strength.

The article is interesting and a quick read. Gotta go now - need to dust off the bar bells.

http://time.com/4803697/bodybuilding-strength-training/?xid=newsletter-brief

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: June and Stargazer

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
My favourite type of weight training tends to be in the garden:p (which will surprise no one who has read a few of my posts:rolleyes:). Lots of things to lift there! No problem getting the lifting to that sought-after 'almost breaking' point either.
It's an ongoing use-it or lose-it proposition, our bodies:eek:

Reactions: Stargazer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)