Overripe Bananas in the Garden Attract Butterflies (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Butterflies have always been very special to me. I love them hanging around if I'm out in nature. By hanging your overripe bananas in the garden, the butterflies will come!

They love them, but are also fond of grapefruit, cantelope, orange, watermelon, strawberries, peaches, nectarines, kiwi and apples.

Image8sdf.jpg

Mushy bananas that have been stored in the freezer, and then thawed, are extra popular with the butterflies.

Some butterfly species also love a “brew” of brown sugar, rotting fruit, beer and molasses.

Now, I just need a garden! One day...

• Divine
Reactions: Lila and Linda

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Hey Laron, you're already creating an oasis - but a garden will come to you too - trust.

• I agree
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Lila and Laron
OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I've moved around so much over the past six years and haven't been in a spot that I knew I was going to stay, so never bothered growing anything or even getting a pot plant, which I used to have many of, both at home and in the workplace.

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
A friend of mine has the best show of roses ever this year after putting banana skins, inside down, round the roots.

• Cool Post
Reactions: Laron and Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Whenever I plant something I put whatever's in the compost bin at the roots. I do some culling to make sure that everything I put in is clean and that there is not too much citrus. Also, I try to balance out what is there; a bit of this and a bit of that.
Anyway, most often there is a banana peel or two in there.
A fellow gardener started me on this path by reminding me that composting material is a way to attract worms which are beneficial to all growing things.

Sarah830

Rambling Companion
Feb 27, 2019
I use leaf tea which I brew for 10 minutes and add powder milk after straining it. So, all those brewed tea leaves along with banana peels go to my rose bushes. They are a great natural rose food.

• Informative
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Laron and Lila

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
When our local indoor garden exposition (that goes year round) has a live butterfly exhibit (they import cocoons), this (overripe bananas) is one of the things they feed the butterflies. The indoor part is a tropical garden with bamboo, orchids, and many other trees and plants, and live quail running around and the quail breed on their own too. So sometimes we will see baby quail running around.

Last edited:

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I use leaf tea which I brew for 10 minutes and add powder milk after straining it. So, all those brewed tea leaves along with banana peels go to my rose bushes. They are a great natural rose food.
Mine go to my peach tree.

Reactions: Sarah830

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)