Info Life Hacks - Share Tips or Ask Questions - Handling Stuff In and Out of the House (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Several of us have found great ways to handle the everyday tasks. So, this thread is a great place to share your gems.

• Informative
Reactions: Laron

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Drill one or two 1 inch holes in the back of the plastic bin, near the bottom. This will allow air in when you try to pull the bag out, and it will be a lot easier.

I use a step bit.

• Winner
Reactions: Lila

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
If your not sure how to do something. Ask it here. Somebody will know how to fix it.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
How do you change a toilet seat without getting your head too close to the bowl? (Real-life question :eek:)

• Intriguing Post

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
How do you change a toilet seat without getting your head too close to the bowl? (Real-life question :eek:)

The seat is held in place with two bolts At the rear hinge point. Feel underneath close to the tank, there are large plastic butterfly type nuts there on either side. Just twist them off and lift off the seat. You will probably have to clean off some grime there. Then plop down the new seat and bolt it back in. Easy.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
How do you change a toilet seat without getting your head too close to the bowl?
From the woman's perspective - :-D

Put the lid down and sit side-saddle or astride facing the tank, depending on how much room you have.
Hopefully you have the plastic nuts and bolts, which should be easy enough to manage, as PG described.

If you have the metal type, give it a try. However, there may may be corrosion on the nuts and bolts, and if so, getting on the floor with big pliers (channel locks) that can turn stuck nuts may be necessary. Worst case, you need a wire brush to knock off the corrosion and possibly some oil or "liquid wrench" to loosen the connection. (I don't know what the solution might be called in AU, but here there is a brand called Liquid Wrench.) You will want to put down some newspaper on the floor if you are going this route. So far in my life, when this situation has arisen, someone else has volunteered to do it for me.

Also, when tightening the nuts on the new seat, make it snug but not really tight. This is especially important if the new nuts and bolts are metal, as there is a possibility of cracking the porcelain, if you really crank down the nuts.

From the helpful hints I learned from my Dad.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
A few 'mom' things that come immediately to mind:
- whatever you talk about/say to your kid just before sleep is sucked into the kid more strongly than probably anything else they encounter that day. When it's spit out it's been processed and pondered. Amazing things can happen then. Perhaps that's where the concept of hugging your kid good night, tucking them in and saying "I love you" came from?
Works well with spouses and other assorted family members too<3
... while writing this above I realized that my own teen had just gone to bed. I went up to give her a hug and kiss, gracefully knocking over something loudly in the process and thankfully not scaring the kid too badly this time (other times I've apparently come 'out of nowhere' in the dark causing heart palpitations and exclamations, sigh, I guess they're geting used to me).

- when I make a good, though time consuming, 'base' for a meal (eg onions or leaks, grated celery root + fennel, tumeric w pepper, ginger, garlic or whatever I have around the house and garden that day) I've discovered that I can make a bit of a bigger batch and use it in a couple of meals (eg in a stir fry and a pasta sauce with maybe a few variations, additions or deletions). It can freeze well too or it can be the start of a meal which I can then ask someone to finish while I'm at work, having done the futzy, healthy part others may not bother with.

- always make time for yourself. That includes sleep, vacations, no-screen time, do-nothing time, time with friends, camping time and all the rest of it. If you don't include it in your schedule nobody else will. Don't buy into that must-do-everything-for-everyone-without-taking-time-for-myself meme that's strong out there. It just doesn't work.
Having made that me-time you'll be happier, more productive and a whole lot more fun to be with. Life will go better for everyone:-D

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Flatware and dishes
If you need more flatware or dishes, tag sales are a good place to start. However, if that does not work, then try a restaurant supply company. I've gotten and given very nice sets of stainless steel flatware, including serving pieces. They are heavy and durable and reasonably priced. If you look for sets in discount retailers like Target or Walmart, you will be stunned at how crummy and light they are, as well as more expensive than a restaurant supply place.

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
  1. When sick, get lots or rest and drink 8oz of water every hour. Use a countdown timer if you have to. Do not drink juice with added sugar, processed sugar is bad for you and at least some of the corn syrup products will have glyphosate, especially in the US where food and labeling laws and regulations are pretty shady.
  2. Be kind to your gut bacteria, it's really important. Glyphosate, sucrulose (Splenda?), and aspartame (Nutrasweet) all kill the gut bacteria as does a regular diet with processed sugar. More and more food products are adding sucrolose or aspartame for no reason and formulas are changing. Everytime you buy food, even the same food, check the ingredients, the ingredients may have changed.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Dog Beds
If you have a very large dog, traditional dog beds cost a fortune, but you know your dog needs some relief for their joints.
Check out a baby crib mattress. You can find quite a few in the $35-$50 range. A friend shared this with me and said they also got a mattress pad and flannel sheets, which they can easily wash. Their 100-lb. dog loves it.

• Cool Post

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Here's one from my friend who got it from another friend...
In case of a lack of TP one can use flannels cut into pieces, dropped into a bucket with your choice of antiseptic then washed for reuse.

... this seemed like a timely life hack to put out there
I will add that knowing how to properly disinfect something like that would be vital so as to not spread disease.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: June
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Organizing a chest freezer

Got a garage freezer and then considered different ways to organize because it is deep - too far for me to reach the bottom. Finally I found the simplest and best idea for me - those reusable grocery bags (not the fabric ones). I have a bunch in different colors and used a permanent marker to label the categories on the handles. Voila - I can reach the bags on the bottom easily, without lifting heavy plastic crates.

• Creative Post
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Snowmelt and Lila

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
How do you change a toilet seat without getting your head too close to the bowl?
You don't. You realize that science shows us the toilet is more clean than your doorknob, that's why the dog drinks from the toilet, and doesn't lick the doorknob. Dogs know! They also know when you have an infection and some dogs will lick your wounds, even if they have scabbed over. Later in the day you might get an itchy feeling, because a dog's saliva has anti-biotic properties, and your wound healing has accelerated. Itching is normal for a healing wound. (My dog used to lick my scabs.)

If the problem is long hair falling into the bowl, tie up the hair in a bun or use a hair net.

- Make your own foaming soap:
Combine 1 part liquid hand soap with 2-3 parts water. Mix gently. Pour into your foaming soap dispenser.

- Use old toilet paper cardboard insert to organize cords. Fold the cord back and forth and stuff into the cardboard portion of bog roll. The cords will not get tangled now. They also sell silicon rings for this which do not deteriorate like rubber bands do.

- Plastic toggles are great for cords on coats but also for many other things.
- Releasable zip ties are also handy for lots of things and they are easy to reuse.
- Coffee filters are an easy, cheap, disposable bowl for popcorn and light snacks.

- There is no plastic ware that degrades outside. It's all a scam. I've been doing my own experiment for the past 13 months. The "biodegradeable" utensils have not changed a bit even after going through one complete summer and one complete winter. Don't waste your money on them. However there are disposable utensils made from potato powder and wheat flour.

• New to me!
Reactions: Snowmelt
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Can opener for those hard plastic packages

Needed to put a new head on my toothbrush - and there it was - the dreaded impossible to open plastic package. Then I remembered something I read recently - use a can opener for these types of packages. So I dug out the can opener and gave it a try. Starting at the corner did not work very well, but starting along one side worked great.

• Intriguing Post
Reactions: Snowmelt

buddy love

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Oct 1, 2018
***Flatware
I just bought some silverplate forks on etsy.com They are antique, silverplated over steel. very beautiful with the benefits of silver for your heatlh.

***baby mattress for a dog bed
what a great idea!

***can opener for opening hard plastic packaging.
i have used a paring knife / sharp edge to cut through and then slide along the packaging to more easily access the item.

***toilet paper core for storing cords. brilliant.

all these hacks on this page are grand. thank you for sharing them.

• Cool Post
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Ran across an idea for dry-erase boards.

If you accidentally use a permanent marker, write over with an erasable marker, and both will wipe away.

I did not have that issue, but I did have a note in erasable marker that sat a long time and parts would not come off. I figured this idea might work in this case ... and ... it did. Yea!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)