Life Hacks - Share Tips or Ask Questions - Handling Stuff In and Out of the House (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Several of us have found great ways to handle the everyday tasks. So, this thread is a great place to share your gems.

• Informative
Reactions: Laron

therium

Involved Wayfarer
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Drill one or two 1 inch holes in the back of the plastic bin, near the bottom. This will allow air in when you try to pull the bag out, and it will be a lot easier.

I use a step bit.

• Winner
Reactions: Lila

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
If your not sure how to do something. Ask it here. Somebody will know how to fix it.

Hailstones Melt

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
How do you change a toilet seat without getting your head too close to the bowl? (Real-life question :eek:)

• Intriguing Post

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
How do you change a toilet seat without getting your head too close to the bowl? (Real-life question :eek:)

The seat is held in place with two bolts At the rear hinge point. Feel underneath close to the tank, there are large plastic butterfly type nuts there on either side. Just twist them off and lift off the seat. You will probably have to clean off some grime there. Then plop down the new seat and bolt it back in. Easy.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
How do you change a toilet seat without getting your head too close to the bowl?
From the woman's perspective - :-D

Put the lid down and sit side-saddle or astride facing the tank, depending on how much room you have.
Hopefully you have the plastic nuts and bolts, which should be easy enough to manage, as PG described.

If you have the metal type, give it a try. However, there may may be corrosion on the nuts and bolts, and if so, getting on the floor with big pliers (channel locks) that can turn stuck nuts may be necessary. Worst case, you need a wire brush to knock off the corrosion and possibly some oil or "liquid wrench" to loosen the connection. (I don't know what the solution might be called in AU, but here there is a brand called Liquid Wrench.) You will want to put down some newspaper on the floor if you are going this route. So far in my life, when this situation has arisen, someone else has volunteered to do it for me.

Also, when tightening the nuts on the new seat, make it snug but not really tight. This is especially important if the new nuts and bolts are metal, as there is a possibility of cracking the porcelain, if you really crank down the nuts.

From the helpful hints I learned from my Dad.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
A few 'mom' things that come immediately to mind:
- whatever you talk about/say to your kid just before sleep is sucked into the kid more strongly than probably anything else they encounter that day. When it's spit out it's been processed and pondered. Amazing things can happen then. Perhaps that's where the concept of hugging your kid good night, tucking them in and saying "I love you" came from?
Works well with spouses and other assorted family members too<3
... while writing this above I realized that my own teen had just gone to bed. I went up to give her a hug and kiss, gracefully knocking over something loudly in the process and thankfully not scaring the kid too badly this time (other times I've apparently come 'out of nowhere' in the dark causing heart palpitations and exclamations, sigh, I guess they're geting used to me).

- when I make a good, though time consuming, 'base' for a meal (eg onions or leaks, grated celery root + fennel, tumeric w pepper, ginger, garlic or whatever I have around the house and garden that day) I've discovered that I can make a bit of a bigger batch and use it in a couple of meals (eg in a stir fry and a pasta sauce with maybe a few variations, additions or deletions). It can freeze well too or it can be the start of a meal which I can then ask someone to finish while I'm at work, having done the futzy, healthy part others may not bother with.

- always make time for yourself. That includes sleep, vacations, no-screen time, do-nothing time, time with friends, camping time and all the rest of it. If you don't include it in your schedule nobody else will. Don't buy into that must-do-everything-for-everyone-without-taking-time-for-myself meme that's strong out there. It just doesn't work.
Having made that me-time you'll be happier, more productive and a whole lot more fun to be with. Life will go better for everyone:-D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)