How to deskunk your dog (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Some of you live in places like NZ where there are no skunks. Yea for you. Now for the rest of us.
Skunks are found in cities and in the country - yep, just about everywhere. If you have not had direct experience, then you probably have smelled their calling card - something like scorched garlic and burning tires. The spray has the most potent lasting power - the original chemical weapon.

Over the years, my dogs have had encounters with skunks, and I've tried all the remedies. This last time, I learned about a new one. I am sharing it here because IT WORKS!!

1/4 cup baking soda
2 tsp liquid soap
1 quart hydrogen peroxide

Mix together, work into your dog's fur, and let the baking soda and peroxide foam do its work. Leave it a bit, and then wash off.

Now I keep plenty of hydrogen peroxide in the pantry.

This website has a video on how to do it and why it works.

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
This recipe really does work. I have two dogs that got skunked and I used this on both of them. The smell doesn't completely go away using this recipe but it's a lot better. Don't get any in their eyes though.

Reactions: Linda

Kristy

Star child
Retired Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
3rd rock from the Sun
Some of you live in places like NZ where there are no skunks. Yea for you. Now for the rest of us.
Skunks are found in cities and in the country - yep, just about everywhere. If you have not had direct experience, then you probably have smelled their calling card - something like scorched garlic and burning tires. The spray has the most potent lasting power - the original chemical weapon.

Over the years, my dogs have had encounters with skunks, and I've tried all the remedies. This last time, I learned about a new one. I am sharing it here because IT WORKS!!

1/4 cup baking soda
2 tsp liquid soap
1 quart hydrogen peroxide

Mix together, work into your dog's fur, and let the baking soda and peroxide foam do its work. Leave it a bit, and then wash off.

Now I keep plenty of hydrogen peroxide in the pantry.

This website has a video on how to do it and why it works.

I always thought taking a bath in tomato soup was the trick? Or was that an old tale?

Reactions: Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I always thought taking a bath in tomato soup was the trick? Or was that an old tale?
I've used tomato juice (even V-8) in the past, and it mostly masks the odor.
Now this concoction neutralizes it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)