A bit of parenting humour (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I decided to share a very honest yet humourous video about parenting. If you are a parent, hopefully you can relate. Mine are very young, so please share your advice if you have been there and have something brilliant to offer.

My children have by far been my greatest teachers. They give me new meaning to the word patience. They taught me sacrifice. They’ve changed my priorities in life.

Even the best of parents pop their top from time to time. It is OK, as we are all human. The most important thing is to keep growing and learning together with a compassionate heart.

Some things I’ve found to be helpful for moms in regards to spiritual tools is kunzite—the mother’s stone, yarrow—the mothering flower, & Balance blend and Past Tense essential oil blends. What do they all have in common? They all work at the vibratory level to provide balance on emotional well-being.

Last edited:

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I wish "from time to time" didn't mean on a daily basis. Yesterday, as I was at work, I got one of those uncomfortable phone calls from my girl who is now nearly hitting 18 years old; but it was a cry for help. So when I got home, I brought Indian takeaway, had her put rice in the steamer so it was ready when I got home. She had two girlfriends there - I got them to dish up the dinner, then went into my daughter's room and shut the door. I think she thought she was in big trouble. But no, I just wanted to hold her, rock her and be her rock, hug her, and have a little cry, and let her know that I was there for her at all times. We didn't say much. I don't think she has accepted this level of mothering for a long time. I closed the door on the girlfriends so they got the message we needed some space. Then I quietly let them get on with their dinner, and it was smiles all round.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Both!!! (ie, as it says at the end; you and your kids are both psychotic)

These are some talented mom-actresses:cool:

The best parenting comment I ever heard was when I was apologizing for our child waking up in the middle of the night with night terrors at a campground that had a steep dropoff over a cliff not far away. She'd woken up screaming (and kids with night terrors appear awake but don't respond) so I took her outside to try to rock her and soothe her in hopes she wouldn't wake up the entire campsite, knowing how well sound travels at night outdoors and hoping the entire time I didn't misstep and take a plummet (I stepped very carefully and there was a fair bit of moonlight). It took me a long time to fall back asleep after she did. The 15 minutes of screaming seemed like hours long.
Anyway, the next morning I was apologizing for waking anybody up and unsure if I'd done things as well as I could have (half asleep as I was) so I hope I hadn't upset them by being frazzled this morning and snapping at the kids. Our friend (who I didn't know that well yet) looked at me and said, striaghtfaced "Oh, that never happens at our house" (as in, we never yell at our kids when we're frazzled).
We became great friends then and there!

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I have the long view, as all our kids are in their 30s. Life often does not go smoothly, and we do our kids a disservice if we try to act like it does. I think an important lesson is to be honest about our own feelings and demonstrate how we handle them. It is ok to be mad enough to bite nails, as long as we don't take it out on others.

My daughter shared with me one of the important things she learned from me - to own up to mistakes. I owned up to mine, as well as creating a safe place for her to do the same. It is so much easier to say I screwed up and be done with it, rather than spend hours or days rationalizing and hiding what happened. The corollary to this is to give kids the chance to make decisions and deal with the consequences. When they are younger the decisions and consequences are smaller and easier to handle.

I think another thing is the ability to see other people and consider what they might be going through. Not everything orbits around us. The other day I was raking leaves and one of the younger kids came over to see what I was doing. He carried a couple of handfuls to the bag and declared that he was the winner. Without thinking, I said "I don't think so. I've been out here for an hour." He threw a fit about not being the winner, which floored me. So, I threw a bigger fit, and we all laughed.

I have one last helpful hint - once they got into their teens and were making bigger choices, I did not want to nag. So, I would say "I'm just sharing information". "A cold front is coming in this afternoon - just sharing information. The speed limit is 35 - just sharing information." Of course, the hard part is to keep your mouth closed afterwards.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I have the long view, as all our kids are in their 30s. Life often does not go smoothly, and we do our kids a disservice if we try to act like it does. I think an important lesson is to be honest about our own feelings and demonstrate how we handle them. It is ok to be mad enough to bite nails, as long as we don't take it out on others.

My daughter shared with me one of the important things she learned from me - to own up to mistakes. I owned up to mine, as well as creating a safe place for her to do the same. It is so much easier to say I screwed up and be done with it, rather than spend hours or days rationalizing and hiding what happened. The corollary to this is to give kids the chance to make decisions and deal with the consequences. When they are younger the decisions and consequences are smaller and easier to handle.

I think another thing is the ability to see other people and consider what they might be going through. Not everything orbits around us. The other day I was raking leaves and one of the younger kids came over to see what I was doing. He carried a couple of handfuls to the bag and declared that he was the winner. Without thinking, I said "I don't think so. I've been out here for an hour." He threw a fit about not being the winner, which floored me. So, I threw a bigger fit, and we all laughed.

I have one last helpful hint - once they get into their teens and are making bigger choices, I did not want to nag. So, I would say "I'm just sharing information". "A cold front is coming in this afternoon - just sharing information. The speed limit is 35 - just sharing information." Of course, the hard part is to keep your mouth closed afterwards.
All true, very compassionate, and I need to say "...xxx - just sharing information. And take those ear buds out of your ears!"

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
So, I would say "I'm just sharing information". "A cold front is coming in this afternoon - just sharing information. The speed limit is 35 - just sharing information." Of course, the hard part is to keep your mouth closed afterwards.
Yes, maybe someone should sell 'parental mouth glue' (or tape) for such situations.
If it were tape it should say on the outside 'I am keeping my mouth firmly shut.' or 'I didn't say anything!" or somesuch:ROFL::D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)