20 ways to use Epsom salt around the house (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Epsom salt is a combination of magnesium and sulfate and can be used in so many ways. Here are 20 ways to use this mineral that will benefit your health and your beauty.

IMG_5040.JPG

Angela Brown
Contributing Writer

1. Clean your hair: If your hair is particularly greasy, you can pull excess oils right out by adding a bit of Epsom salt to your shampoo. Wash and rinse as usual.
2. Foot scrub: Winter weather can leave toes and feet dry, cracked and gross. Get rid of dry skin by combining a cup of Epsom salt with olive oil, castile soap and some essential oils and scrubbing your feet once or twice a week.
3. Bye bye frizz, hello volume: Mix equal parts hair conditioner and Epsom salt together. Heat the mixture in a pan. Then starting at the roots and working your way down, massage the mixture into your hair. Let set for 20 minutes and rinse. This works great for getting rid of frizz and adding volume to your hair.
4. Wash your face: Mix Epsom salt with liquid soap or face cream. Rub gently into your skin and rinse. You'll get a moisture boost and remove dead skin cells.
5. Deflake the lips: Mix a bit of Epsom salt with petroleum jelly and massage it into your lips to remove dead skin cells.
6. Ease a headache: If you have an aching head after a rough day at the office (or with the kids), try soaking in an Epsom salt bath. The salt-soaked bath can help relieve tension in your muscles and ease your headache.
7. Nix tummy troubles: Help ease constipation symptoms by drinking a teaspoon of Epsom salt in a glass of water. The magnesium should help get things flowing again.
8. Have a better morning after: If you had a little too much red wine last night, you can ease hangover symptoms. Sip a teaspoon in a bit of water to help flush out your system. Make sure to drink tons of water to stay hydrated, though!
9. Fade a bruise: Skip the raw meat compress and grab the Epsom salt instead. Mix two tablespoons of Epsom salt with a little water and apply it to the bruised area.
10. Get more shut-eye: Soak in an Epsom salt bath for about 20 minutes before dozing off to help you relax and loosen up for a better night's sleep.
11. Ease muscle pain: Enjoy an Epsom salt bath after a hard day at the gym or working in the yard to alleviate muscle soreness and speed recovery.
12. Remove a splinter: Apply salt to the skin over the splinter to help pull it to the surface. Bid a fond farewell to the painful tweezer method!

Wellness Mama and SaltWorks offer a few suggestions for using Epsom salt around the house and garden:

13. Plant fertilizer: Add one tablespoon of salt to tomato plant soil to encourage bigger plant growth.
14. Clean the bathroom: Mix one part Epsom salt with one part liquid dish soap, and scrub grout and tile well.
15. Water your houseplants: Mix a few tablespoons of Epsom salt with water and feed your plants as usual.
16. Deter Slugs: Sprinkle a bit of Epsom salt onto the patio to keep slugs at bay on rainy days.

More ways to benefit from Epsom salt

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Love these body friendly health posts. Thank you for posting this.
You're very welcome. I wish more people liked natural products because the less chemicals we are exposed to the better for us and the better for the earth. I'm surprised there's not more interest in natural products as we move more into the shift.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
I think we have been seeing a trend toward natural products, yet it isn't the majority yet. I do have an online shop selling them. I intend to write more on here about them, but have been so busy w my tots & lazy/fatigued. Also, since this is a spiritual forum, I wanted to relate natural remedies/health/nutrition/ essential oil uae to the metaphysical & energy medicine.

Reactions: Vickie
OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
I think we have been seeing a trend toward natural products, yet it isn't the majority yet. I do have an online shop selling them. I intend to write more on here about them, but have been so busy w my tots & lazy/fatigued. Also, since this is a spiritual forum, I wanted to relate natural remedies/health/nutrition/ essential oil uae to the metaphysical & energy medicine.
I can't wait to read your posts on Natural Products when you get the time.

Reactions: Anaeika

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I still remember when Epsom salts were a part of every household in our parts.
Now, they are kind of a rarity, though being slowly rediscovered.

Of course, I also recall when molasses were a part of every household. And big tubs of both Crisco lard and ice cream:ROFL:

Reactions: Anaeika and Vickie
OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
I still remember when Epsom salts were a part of every household in our parts.
Now, they are kind of a rarity, though being slowly rediscovered.

Of course, I also recall when molasses were a part of every household. And big tubs of both Crisco lard and ice cream:ROFL:
My mom had a tub of Crisco too but it's not lard. The tub of Crisco is vegetable oil that's thick like lard but not animal based. Memories...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Anaeika

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Didn't know that about Crisco! Lots of recipes would call for a cup or two for baking.

Reactions: Vickie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)