What Did the Hubble Telescope See on Your Birthday? (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
NASA has a fun activity. Enter the month and date of your birth, and get a photo of something the telescope spotted that day. For me, it came up with an image from 2007 of Planetary Nebula NGC 2371.

This image captures the planetary nebula NGC 2371, the glowing remains of a Sun-like star. The remnant star visible at the center of NGC 2371 is the super-hot core of the former red giant, now stripped of its outer layers.

I got a kick out of it because it looks as though I left a foot print. Yes, I know there are many questions about the Not A Straight Answer group, but thought this might be fun for some. Did anyone else find something interesting?

november-15-2019-planetary-nebula-ngc-2371.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: Lila and One65

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
NASA has a fun activity. Enter the month and date of your birth, and get a photo of something the telescope spotted that day. For me, it came up with an image from 2007 of Planetary Nebula NGC 2371.

This image captures the planetary nebula NGC 2371, the glowing remains of a Sun-like star. The remnant star visible at the center of NGC 2371 is the super-hot core of the former red giant, now stripped of its outer layers.

I got a kick out of it because it looks as though I left a foot print. Yes, I know there are many questions about the Not A Straight Answer group, but thought this might be fun for some. Did anyone else find something interesting?

View attachment 13505
On yours, not only a footprint (my, that is amazing), but if you rotate the whole image 90 degrees to the left you see the entire alien head, with the gleam in its eye and a kind of bobble eye, like a fish guppy !!! The footprint is then directly on its mouth.

• Funny
Reactions: Lila and Linda

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I got the Southern Crab Nebula, an ageing red giant doing a tango with a hot small white dwarf (and blasting megatons of material out of the way while doing so), This is appropriate as it is in the southern skies in Centaurus, the well-known Crab Nebula is viewed from the northern skies. This was photographed by Hubble on March 11, 2019.

march-11-2019-southern-crab-nebula.png

• Love this post!
Reactions: June and Linda

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
Mine was the inner region of Abell, a 1689 cluster of galaxies 2.2 billion light years away6E5B3AE3-6F2C-433D-99F5-E963F2A24634.jpeg

• Love this post!
Reactions: Linda
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)