Try some Four o'clocks in your yard (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
People seem to have lots of stories from their childhood about these plants. The blooms open in the late afternoon (hence the name) and kids pick them and suck the nectar from the ends. I think children like the idea that blooms will open while they watch.

Four o'clocks, Marvel of Peru, mirabilis jalapa are the names this hardy plant goes by. I have no idea if they are found in other parts of the world beside the US. Although one of the names suggests they might be in South America.

They are tough enough for the heat of central Texas, grow into big shrubs, and have flowers in several colors, as well as variegated, often on the same bush. Also, they are easy to grow from seed.

Give them a try!

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
People seem to have lots of stories from their childhood about these plants. The blooms open in the late afternoon (hence the name) and kids pick them and suck the nectar from the ends. I think children like the idea that blooms will open while they watch.

Four o'clocks, Marvel of Peru, mirabilis jalapa are the names this hardy plant goes by. I have no idea if they are found in other parts of the world beside the US. Although one of the names suggests they might be in South America.

They are tough enough for the heat of central Texas, grow into big shrubs, and have flowers in several colors, as well as variegated, often on the same bush. Also, they are easy to grow from seed.

Give them a try!
I LOVE these!!! The grow very well here in central California, even in the heat. Mine reseed themselves every year and I always look forward to their variegated orange, yellow, red, and white blossoms again when they bloom. I also look forward to the re-emergence of our grape hyacinths, daffodils, Mexican evening primrose, gladiolus, California Poppies...and soooooo many others!

Isn't spring wonderful?

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I'll have to give them a look. :)
My son is helping with some gardening this year. We've been starting our seeds for the garden and every time, i cannot get over the boundless joy of seeing them sprout.
If i had to count top ten amazing wonders on this earth for me, i think witnessing seed sprouting is one of them. <3

Last edited:
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I'll have to give them a look.
I'm not sure what it is about these plants that kids like so much. Maybe it is because they are at their eye level and open when they often are outside playing.

Golmona

Retired Moderator
Aug 2, 2016
Amsterdam
I'm not sure what it is about these plants that kids like so much. Maybe it is because they are at their eye level and open when they often are outside playing.
Plants are just magical! I used to LOVE picking them as a child. To my mom's great chagrin (and am sure that of the many neighbours!) I would go around the neighbourhood and pick them. Am sure they thought flowers shouldn't be picked. Which is true enough I suppose.

Years later I read somewhere that children should be let picking flowers because that's how they will grown to love them! Couldn't agree more.

Thanks for sharing this Linda :)

upload_2017-4-9_10-52-3.png

Golmona

Retired Moderator
Aug 2, 2016
Amsterdam
My son is helping with some gardening this year. We've been starting our seeds for the garden and every time, i cannot get over the boundless joy of seeing them sprout.
If i had to count top ten amazing wonders on this earth for me, i think witnessing seed sprouting is one of them.
I imagine this is one of the best things one can do with children! This is where they start learning about the cycle of life. I recommend leaving any sprouts that may have broken or gotten damaged and are sure to die. That way you can show your son how plants die and return to mother Earth.

Happy planting! <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)