Simple seed balls (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
One of my neighbors shared this idea. It would be a great family activity, and kids would love making the seed balls.

These are little balls made with clay and mulch and seeds. The clay hardens and protects the seeds from being eaten by birds. The mulch encourages germination and when the seedlings are big enough they break through the clay.

The directions are from the Lady Bird Johnson Wildlife Center in Austin.

https://www.wildflower.org/step/show.php?id=28&frontpage=true

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Linda, thank you for sharing. It's exactly ideas like this that are going to be shared between communities, when there is no viable financial structure but people are working together for survival, creativity and success.

I know it sounds Utopian, but such utopia springs out of simple ideas like this.

Reactions: Stargazer

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
When it's really funny is when you grow something you don't really like (just for the sake of growing it and giving it to people who do like it), and then you find out you actually like it... LOL
Resonates Don. I guess it is like what we hear many times that we don't appreciate fully what we have until it is gone -specially mentioned when referring to departed family members or a love relationship.
Well in your case you still could grow another one that hopefully will turn out as beautiful as the one you gave away. :)

Don Hicks

Involved Wayfarer
Mar 19, 2017
Virginia
www.facebook.com
Resonates Don. I guess it is like what we hear many times that we don't appreciate fully what we have until it is gone -specially mentioned when referring to departed family members or a love relationship.
Well in your case you still could grow another one that hopefully will turn out as beautiful as the one you gave away. :)
Oh, wait... I think I understand. And it's a bit of miscommunication. What I was referring to growing with the intention of giving away, I ended up keeping (some of it) because I found that I like it.

I always enjoy growing extra fruits and vegetables just for the purpose of giving some away. :)

But yeah... no one wants to give up beloved family members, and especially not a beautiful love relationship. They are rare, and hard to replace. :)

Last edited:

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
Love it!

Gardening is definitely my passion. I work in the garden even when there's nothing that really needs to be done. :)
Isn't it funny how "work" in a garden doesn't really ever feel like work?

o_O

Reactions: Lila

Don Hicks

Involved Wayfarer
Mar 19, 2017
Virginia
www.facebook.com
Isn't it funny how "work" in a garden doesn't really ever feel like work?

o_O
Perfectly said! That's exactly how it is for me. I work most weekdays, but either Saturday or Sunday morning you'll find me in the garden... even if nothing needs to be done. :)

I can clearly recall a day about 2 years ago. It was a Saturday morning, mid-summer. It was exceptionally hot and humid, and I was in the garden, shirtless, covered with sweat and dust, in full sunlight, sitting on a 5-gallon bucket while I steadily picked peas. And it dawned on me that if I was doing anything else in the direct sun that day, I would have been miserable. But I felt such a sense of inner peace and belonging and being aware of every insect around me, every sigh of the breeze, every chirping bird... I knew there was no place else in the world I'd rather be.

Reactions: Lila and Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)