Pruning Crepe Myrtles (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
These trees put out big shows in the spring and summer of deep pink or white blooms. Sometimes ours have gone another round with blooms in the fall.

Some people "top" the trees, cutting all limbs to one height. I never liked it because it seemed so brutal. When I prune, I explain what I am doing and why to our plants and trees. Proper pruning helps a tree or shrub in most cases.

Our local gardening show put out this you tube video, which is one of the best I've seen on the subject.

Reactions: Laron

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
When I prune, I explain what I am doing and why to our plants and trees.
Lol, I do this too:))

If I am going further and removing a tree/bush/weed/plant I spend lots of time beforehand wondering, asking and trying out the idea and all the alternatives I can think of and then give the plant (if it's big enough) a hug and an explanation before 'doing the deed'. If at all possible I just find them a new home. I have found that doing this makes me feel better about the result more than anything else does.

Sigh, sometimes it's tough being a tree hugger. I don't even know when and how I became one!:)|

The results of pruning can be really awesome if done with love and care!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)