Mothership Hayabusa2 Drops Two Robots on Asteroid Ryugu (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Thanks to the mothership Hayabusa2, today Japan has made history by landing two robots on the diamond-shaped asteroid Ryugu. The little explorers are traversing the space rock's rugged surface and sending pictures back to Earth. The rovers are built with rotating motors which allows them to shift their momentum hop across the surface because of the gravity conditions. They’re scouting for two other robots scheduled to land later on this year, launching from Hayabusa2. This asteroid is a very primitive body and could contain a chemical history of the formation of our solar system, as well as valuable metals for mining. It took four years for the mothership to arrive from Earth and will return in 2020 carrying samples from Ryugu for researchers.

asteroid.jpg
Image: Asteroid Ryugu. Credit JAXA​

More info on the project: http://global.jaxa.jp/projects/sat/hayabusa2/

Hayabusa is the name of a motorbike I had my eye on owning.

It sure it interesting the lengths these space agencies go to, to complete projects like this. It also makes you wonder if they have any top secret goals they are also taking action on which the public never finds out about.

Reactions: Carl

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
It also makes you wonder if they have any top secret goals they are also taking action on which the public never finds out about.
Indeed! Many people wonder a lot about the many NASA top secret missions.
Regarding this particular asteroid (Ryugu), perhaps by looking at its orbit the placing of early detection devices there could be a good idea. Now the question becomes, early detection of what specifically? We can only conjecture about the most likely possibilities.

Reactions: Laron

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I wonder if the scientists (if not the robots themselves) are salivating at the thought of what minerals will be discovered, and how easy it would be for automated robotic arms to dig 'em up.

Reactions: Laron and Carl

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I was thinking along the lines of finding a beer can.

OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I wonder if the scientists (if not the robots themselves) are salivating at the thought of what minerals will be discovered, and how easy it would be for automated robotic arms to dig 'em up.
My feeling that this was more about the potential of making a lot of money. But perhaps there is some real science here about finding a new metal or material that can be used for positive benefits back on earth.

Reactions: Snowmelt

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
My feeling that this was more about the potential of making a lot of money. But perhaps there is some real science here about finding a new metal or material that can be used for positive benefits back on earth.
Agreed, Laron. While money is still our slave master, people/orgs will go to ferocious lengths to make it.

Reactions: Laron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)