Helpful House Plants (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Kristy

Star child
Retired Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
3rd rock from the Sun
i just wanted to share a few plants that are beneficial to have in the home and are also relatively easy to take care of.

As you should know that even in the comfort of your home there are toxins about so having some house plants to rid those toxins can only benefit you and your loved ones.

Plus having house plants attracts the fae.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Thanks Kristy!! We've actually been discussing this very topic at home lately so this will come in handy for when we go and buy our plants

Any advice for growing plants in rooms that don't get a lot of natural light?

Also, I have heard that there are some plants that aren't recommended around certain pets. Do you happen to have any info about that? :)

Last edited:
J

John Swails

Nice. I have spider plants I have grown from off shoots all over the house as well as aloe plants in little pots in multiple rooms. Spider plants are great for newbies like myself when I first started with indoor plants and they will consume a lot of toxins in the air.

tropical plans are best for rooms that dont get a lot of light. they are used to a lot of overheard cover and so rarely get much light. I have a Dracaena for that at home. Its what you see in a lot of dr offices for just the same reason and in hallways in office buildings

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Nice. I have spider plants I have grown from off shoots all over the house as well as aloe plants in little pots in multiple rooms. Spider plants are great for newbies like myself when I first started with indoor plants and they will consume a lot of toxins in the air.

tropical plans are best for rooms that dont get a lot of light. they are used to a lot of overheard cover and so rarely get much light. I have a Dracaena for that at home. Its what you see in a lot of dr offices for just the same reason and in hallways in office buildings
Thanks for that John! I'm fairly certain it's Dracaena I have growing outside, but I will definitely have a look & may even take a few cuttings & try to establish some inside :D

OP
Kristy

Kristy

Star child
Retired Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
3rd rock from the Sun
Thanks Kristy!! We've actually been discussing this very topic at home lately so this will come in handy for when we go and buy our plants

Also, I have heard that there are some plants that aren't recommended around certain pets. Do you happen to have any info about that? :)

I have a more in depth list I will post for you.

Reactions: John Swails
OP
Kristy

Kristy

Star child
Retired Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
3rd rock from the Sun
Thanks for that John! I'm fairly certain it's Dracaena I have growing outside, but I will definitely have a look & may even take a few cuttings & try to establish some inside :D

There are many varieties of the Dracaena and like John said they can handle low light. Spider plant is a great indoor plant but it needs at least medium light. I will look for my more in depth list and share it.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
[QUOTEAny advice for growing plants in rooms that don't get a lot of natural light?

Also, I have heard that there are some plants that aren't recommended around certain pets. Do you happen to have any info about that? :)[/QUOTE]

The Peace Lily does well with moderate to low indoor light (we have big eaves and solar screens). You can google plants poisonous to cats and dogs. There are several sites with good lists. It is important to do because so many cats and dogs are nibblers.

OP
Kristy

Kristy

Star child
Retired Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
3rd rock from the Sun
[QUOTEAny advice for growing plants in rooms that don't get a lot of natural light?

The Peace Lily does well with moderate to low indoor light (we have big eaves and solar screens). You can google plants poisonous to cats and dogs. There are several sites with good lists. It is important to do because so many cats and dogs are nibblers.[/QUOTE]

So true. I myself have an asparagus fern growing specifically for my fur babies to chomp on

Lilia

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2016
Vayuna, via Switzerland
in my darkest corner of the living room i have a Zamioculcas zamiifolia (sorry my native language is not english, so only the latin name here). it is an african tropical plant that usually likes the shade of growing under the trees. its decorative and easy to take care of, although it wont bloom easily (its decorative as it is anyway). Epipremnum aureum also likes indirect light and grows in shady places too, its very good for filtering out stuff from the air (its a plant that builds vines, not attaching itself to the walls like hedera helix, but it builds long long vines). then some philadendron also like places with less light
zamioculcas
epipremnum

oh i almost forgot, if you want to make sure you have a non-toxic plant for a shady place, cultivate a ginger-plant, just take some organic ginger-root from the store, bury them so that they are just minimally covered by soil and keep them wet enough

OP
Kristy

Kristy

Star child
Retired Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
3rd rock from the Sun
in my darkest corner of the living room i have a Zamioculcas zamiifolia (sorry my native language is not english, so only the latin name here). it is an african tropical plant that usually likes the shade of growing under the trees. its decorative and easy to take care of, although it wont bloom easily (its decorative as it is anyway). Epipremnum aureum also likes indirect light and grows in shady places too, its very good for filtering out stuff from the air (its a plant that builds vines, not attaching itself to the walls like hedera helix, but it builds long long vines). then some philadendron also like places with less light
zamioculcas
epipremnum

oh i almost forgot, if you want to make sure you have a non-toxic plant for a shady place, cultivate a ginger-plant, just take some organic ginger-root from the store, bury them so that they are just minimally covered by soil and keep them wet enough
Thanks for sharing these. @Brooke the plants Lila shared will do quite nicely for you

Reactions: Brooke and Lilia

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
This is wonderful. I've been preparing to make a plant bomb go off in the house, but i wanted to check out some suggestions first. I also have a couple pets and while i don't 'think' they'd take to munching, Charlie seems to have an affinity for the weedy herbs in our yard. (Maybe he can feel what he needs though. .... our maybe he's just bored or hungry. Haha)

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
This is wonderful. I've been preparing to make a plant bomb go off in the house, but i wanted to check out some suggestions first. I also have a couple pets and while i don't 'think' they'd take to munching, Charlie seems to have an affinity for the weedy herbs in our yard. (Maybe he can feel what he needs though. .... our maybe he's just bored or hungry. Haha)
Plant bomb? I'd love to hear more about that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)