Hell Freezes Over ;-) (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
Just out. Breaking music news if you will. ;)

Abba make a comeback after 40 years. No. This is not a joke.

This is real. o_O :cool:

Don't know how I feel about this digital transhumanist holographic thing though. Yet it could still be interesting to see how this kind of 'live show' will pan out in the end.

• Jaw Dropping Post
Reactions: Lila

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
digital transhumanist holographic thing
Part of me is not a fan, but part of me likes the idea. It comes from my experience with getting older - I have a youthful mindset, but some days my body does not agree. Once some workmen were here and saw photos of me as a teenager posing in my drill team uniform. They were blown away, and I could read the realization flowing across their faces - that there are parts of me that are not evident. So, from that aspect, I get it.

OP
Sinera

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
One reason might of course also be that given their older age now touring the world extensively or stage performing in general will not be possible. So from this perspective the avatar 'recreation' also makes sense.

Moreover, on second thought, embracing technology like this for art and pop is not always wrong. Transhumanism and virtual reality is also the lyrical topic of their new song, almost like an episode of Black Mirror with a computer 'avatar' coming to life and begging to be let alive.

Musically, it seems to me that 'naturally' their voices are not as pristine as 40 years ago since they used at least a little bit of effects and autotune on it. Still it sounds Abba enough like back then. And proves that pop music was so much better in the 70s and 80s than today's charts crap.
;)

And yes, as a young boy, I was one of the many ones who had a crush on Agnetha. I might get a shitstorm for this but even today 70ies Agnetha is the perfect embodiment of the 'attractive blonde' for me.
<:):-D

OP
Sinera

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
My favourite of them. It's on my mp3 player's playlist when I go jogging in the forest. It gives me so much energy because it so uplifting.

:)<3O.o:D

OP
Sinera

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
For the Abbaholics: Here is the second new song.

Interesting when "they" come on stage "live" at the end of the video. Certainly touching for all old and new fans around the world.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
This all seems quite groundbreaking.

OP
Sinera

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
This all seems quite groundbreaking.
They were back then in the 70ies as they were now regarding charts pop music. Even some rock musicians paid tribute over the years to them and said they (at least in secret) were fans - of whom I remember it was Bono, Pete Townsend and Steven Wilson, just to name 3 of them.

• Cool Post
OP
Sinera

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
It is remarkable that even their songs with darker or more sad lyrics have a high vibe and make you happy, just due to the singing, the harmonies and melodies and arrangements. Here is another good example:

• Love this post!

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Looks like fur coats are back too, at least fake fur? vintage fur?

Thanks, this has been a great little 'Abba revival' of sorts for me :-D I guess I've always been 'out of the closet' with that :))

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
They had a "Wear your favourite Band T-Shirt" to work today (I don't have a T-shirt). But I said Ol' Rubberlips, and then couldn't think of his name. No-one in the younger generations knew who I was talking about. Then it came to me! Mick Jagger! But then I couldn't remember the name of his band, and then I pushed and pushed, and someone a little older said "Rolling Stones?" but not quite sure themselves. So much for fame and fortune.

• Funny
OP
Sinera

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
They had a "Wear your favourite Band T-Shirt" to work today (I don't have a T-shirt). But I said Ol' Rubberlips, and then couldn't think of his name. No-one in the younger generations knew who I was talking about. Then it came to me! Mick Jagger! But then I couldn't remember the name of his band, and then I pushed and pushed, and someone a little older said "Rolling Stones?" but not quite sure themselves. So much for fame and fortune.
Really? Wow, surprised. Are you working with teenagers only? I mean, next to a few other ones such as Beatles, E Presley, M Jackson, Cobain, Led Zep, Hendrix, Abba, good old Mick and his Stones (btw, their drummer Charlie Watts passed away very recently) are certainly "icons" of pop/rock that everyone somehow knows or 'should' know.
o_O

• I agree

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Really? Wow, surprised. Are you working with teenagers only? I mean, next to a few other ones such as Beatles, E Presley, M Jackson, Cobain, Led Zep, Hendrix, Abba, good old Mick and his Stones (btw, their drummer Charlie Watts passed away very recently) are certainly "icons" of pop/rock that everyone somehow knows or 'should' know.
o_O
You would be surprised how many of the middle layer of management would have been in nappies when I was at least 45!

• Funny
Reactions: Linda and Lila

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Charlie Watts_Rolling Stones drummer.jpg
Charlie Watts - Rolling Stones Drummer

Rest in Peace, Charlie. He died of throat cancer, after having smoked like a chimney for decades of his life. But he made it to 80 ..... so not a bad innings!
Also, he has a cool net worth of $250 million!

Last edited:
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Linda
OP
Sinera

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
View attachment 12382
Charlie Watts - Rolling Stones Drummer

Rest in Peace, Charlie. He died of throat cancer, after having smoked like a chimney for decades of his life. But he made it to 80 ..... so not a bad innings!
Also, he has a cool net worthy of $250 million!
As a former drummer I can say his drumming style was very 'economical', but just like that of Ringo for the Beatles, the perfect fit for the Stones. They did not need a Neil Peart or John Bonham. That is why I respected Charlie and Ringo a lot.

OP
Sinera

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
Speaking of the Beatles (and back on topic) ...

John Lennon as well as Pete Townsend of The Who both said that this is one of their favourite songs. Lennon is even quoted to have said it is one of the best songs ever:

• Love this post!
Reactions: Lila and One65

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
"Where are those happy day. They seem to be so hard to find..."
SOS!

You picked it, Sinera!

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Speaking of the Beatles (and back on topic) ...

John Lennon as well as Pete Townsend of The Who both said that this is one of their favourite songs. Lennon is even quoted to have said it is one of the best songs ever:
I like the chord changes and harmonies. :)

• I agree

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I like this one, which has taken on an expanded meaning as I've gotten older. We've stood at so many crossroads together and always keep going.

• Divine
  • Love this post!
Reactions: therium and Lila

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
I like this one, which has taken on an expanded meaning as I've gotten older. We've stood at so many crossroads together and always keep going.
Wow! They even have some voice modulation in this one! I don't remember that.

OP
Sinera

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
If you read the comments under the YT videos it is very telling about our state of the world and how people feel about it now. Many (old and young, even teenagers posting there!) actually 'thank' them for coming back or for all the vintage videos to exist because of the high vibes (and maybe because everyone can see and hear that pop music was WAYYYY better then...).

One of the funniest comments under one 70ies video I recently read was this:

'Welcome to the future where everyone wants to live in the past.'

;)

• Love this post!

Toller

Involved Wayfarer
Feb 21, 2018
UK
My favourite ABBA album must be 'The Visitors', especially the 2012 deluxe edition which included some of the tracks which didn't make it to what was meant to be their last album.

From a Twinkling Star to a Passing Angel

A couple of odd items:-

Gary Barlow and Agnetha Fältskog : "I Should've Followed You Home"

I've often wondered what some of the songs from 'Chess' would have sounded like if they had been sung by Agnetha and Frieda :-

Elaine Paige, Barbara Dickson - I Know Him So Well "From CHESS"

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
One of the funniest comments under one 70ies video I recently read was this:

'Welcome to the future where everyone wants to live in the past.'
Just look at this thread - for me, it is a relief to read, listen, and comment

• I agree
OP
Sinera

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
My favourite ABBA album must be 'The Visitors', especially the 2012 deluxe edition which included some of the tracks which didn't make it to what was meant to be their last album.

From a Twinkling Star to a Passing Angel

I admit besides the album 'The Arrival' which was back then in my parents' small vinyl collection (that unfortunately got lost though) I don't know any albums and many of the lesser known songs of which I am sure there are many gems, if not all. Yet there were so many hits that you can fill up 2 greatest hits albums with this I guess. So that is what I mostly knew about them, it's "pop" after all, today and then, so it was always about singles and hits and not albums.

However since I am always into 'progressive' music I think I would also like this album best. It is also apart from 'The Day Before You Came' without any 'hits'. Which makes it even more interesting for me as it was said it was more 'experimental' with sounds etc. I just yesterday listened to the song 'The Visitors' the first time and it was very intriguing. I surely will get into THIS very album and some others too. Darn that I was just sacked from my latest job and can't enhance my old/new vinyl collection with it being now again a bit tight on ......

:cool:

OP
Sinera

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
Vintage Abba or even pre-Abba ... almost country-esque ... love the yodelling! (Also note Agnetha's sweet tooth gap.)

Funniest comment under this video: 'Thank goodness ABBA saved the world from Bjorn's solo career.'
I concur.

Whereas Agnetha had a career solo potential already ongoing:

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
The tooth gap proves the humanness in the otherwise-perfection. My gaps are too numerous to mention, but none of them can be seen with an ordinary smile just parting my lips!

• Divine

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
... and another tune to dance to. It's been a big dancing weekend for me :-D

• Divine
Reactions: Snowmelt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)