cant find the name of a star system (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Mike

Healer & Empath
Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2016
Southern, California
www.facebook.com
This system is a tiny patch of super sense stars. I got an on line live star Map and I'm thinking the stars were too smallto show up lol who knows. If your in the states it shows up 1:00 am Pacific time could be earlier too.

Keep in mind this cluster of stars are so small I have to look with my sides of my vision because if I look straight at it the stars dissapear. It shows up east of the little supper(if I have the correct little supper lol hi basically east of Orion a small ways.

I'm sorry I don't have a Better discription but I been looking for this since I were in grade school, 4th gradeits driving me nuts that nobody so far whom I know personally don't know what it is and can't identify it, drives me crazy.

It's a small patch of super sense stars but very small and easily over looked. Any help is appreciated!! There is nothing out there from the ground and eyes that ive seen.
Thank you!!*

-Mike

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
There are some apps that might help you. skymap is one. there's also skeye (though it doesn't seem as label...ly?)
You point it in the direction it would be. those are two i know of. perhaps someone else would have another suggestion. :)

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The University of Texas has a telescope on campus that is open to the public at certain times. (It is old and so beautiful.) Maybe there is telescope like that near you. There will be people there to answer questions.

Reactions: Mike and Stargazer
OP
Mike

Mike

Healer & Empath
Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2016
Southern, California
www.facebook.com
What does it cost for the puplic in Texas? I'll look into that. Sure with my camera would capture the light of the system. It's a circular area maybe oval filled with millions if not billions of stars and you HAVE TO use your priphile vision(spelling!??) Rather than eyes on because you'll lose much of the stars if looked at directly. I've been interested since I was a kid. It goes up in the sky once the moon is up there, not on top but a quarter of the way is when it shows and stays rising across the sky ahead of the moon and ahead of the little dipper if it IS the little supper I'm looking at LOL.

JUST A PILE OF STARS TINY TINY Tiiiny little baby sized stars all compacted into one spot it's beautiful but so faint it's hard to catch unless you have 20x20 vision or a telescope out there. I been searching for the name of this forever.

Linda that telescope idea sounds wonderful if they have one. I hope it's not expensive because I am in a bad spot but let's hope right!! :)

Reactions: Stargazer

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I've noticed the same thing with some stars, and I have to use my peripheral vision, too.

The sessions at UT are free to the public.

You might look on the "Meet Up" site for meetings of local star watcher groups. We have them here, and meetings are free and take place where the lights are not so bright. You might even be able to describe your star cluster to someone over the phone.

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
It sounds like you are referring to the Pleiades constellation. Are you?? lol. Surely not, but by your description it's what I immediately thought of. The constellations & stars in that general area are among my favourites. I'm in Australia though so it would look a little different here

Last edited:
OP
Mike

Mike

Healer & Empath
Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2016
Southern, California
www.facebook.com
It sounds like you are referring to the Pleiades constellation. Are you?? lol. Surely not, but by your description it's what I immediately thought of. The constellations & stars in that general area are among my favourites. I'm in Australia though so it would look a little different here
Thank you brooke. The Pleiades are within Taurus and the stars are too few and far from each other. This I'm talking about seems like a hundred thousand stars squished into one tiny spot and isolated. Sure wish I had a picture

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Oh I see. For some reason the last few messages before the one I posted didn't show so I didn't read your description that included "tiny baby sized stars" lol.

I have an app called sky guide that seems to pick up quite a lot but it might be a bit hard for me to coordinate considering we are in different places and it may not even be visible in the Southern Hemisphere lol. I'll have a look though and if there is anything of note worth mentioning I will :) This is my view of Orion's Belt though, so what direction from there should I be looking in for this cluster? (Wish you could just draw on it to show me haha)

image.png

Reactions: Stargazer and Mike
OP
Mike

Mike

Healer & Empath
Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2016
Southern, California
www.facebook.com
its seems to be to the right of that and yes your right it looks VERY different compared to what my mind has memorized here in the northern hemisphere. i have one of those programs too which i took outside and for the life of me i couldnt help from getting lost everytime i panned past orion then everything looked lost lol. its driving me crazy. maybe ill try again tonight if its not raining, and gosh it hasnt rained here in forever Im loving it! lol i might just get on there now and try finding it since its underneath me right now lol
BTW beautiful photo

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
its seems to be to the right of that and yes your right it looks VERY different compared to what my mind has memorized here in the northern hemisphere.
Just flip it upside down :ROFL:
I can take it again without the labels if that helps?

BTW beautiful photo
It's actually just a screenshot from the app (not an actual representation of my view), but that's part of the reason I like the app so much lol-it's very pretty :p

OP
Mike

Mike

Healer & Empath
Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2016
Southern, California
www.facebook.com
it might be M44 in the cancer region since its one with a cluster of stars that show up nebulous or hazy being so many stars but i can be wrong, ill just check again tonight. what program is that you have? i have a free one from the app store called star chart lol and it sucks

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
The one I use is called Sky Guide. I'm pretty sure it's a paid app but I don't think it was much & I use it all the time so it was worth it for me lol.

I'm so curious to know what it is called now & exactly where it is!! Haha
I've attached another image of what was to the right of Orion & then I rotated it so it's upside down lol. Does that help? Can you see the cluster in my pic because if you can point it out I can see if there is a name attached

Attachments

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
oh I just had a look & M44 is the beehive cluster :) That one isn't in the pic I shared as it's further out. I can't wait to hear what you discover!

OP
Mike

Mike

Healer & Empath
Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2016
Southern, California
www.facebook.com
Brooke the problem is we have such hazy sky's so there are no visible stars around the cluster. That's why it's so difficult for me. I need that app lol. It may not even be m44 neither. the cluster It's north east of Scorpio I *think if I'm not mistaken as long as there are no clouds tonight I will find it lol and the name, I'm determined. Hehe

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Well good luck finding it Mike! Hopefully the app points you in the general direction of your cluster & then you can use it to look around at what is there & hopefully find a name! :)

Reactions: Mike and Stargazer

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
I've often wondered about something similar, Mike. I just found out last year that the stars I'd wondered about were the Pleiades. When you first posted this I immediately thought about them and wondered if they were what you were looking at also.

If you're looking at Orion from the northern hemisphere, Orion's Belt points almost at them (moving up and to the right). In these screenshots from my phone (I use the Star Walk app) the first shows Orion with Taurus above it. The Pleiades are the small, bright cluster shown up and to the right past Aldebran. Alcyone is labeled in the second screenshot and it's one of the stars within the Pleiades cluster. The formation is sometimes hard to see as you describe it, but the main stars do make a circular shape...almost like a question mark (zoomed in on them in the last screenshot).

Hope that helps!

IMG_6463.PNG

IMG_6465.PNG

IMG_6466.PNG

Reactions: Mike and Brooke

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Stargazer that was my thought too. Whenever I see them they are quite faint & it takes a little while to adjust, but I can't find any images online to provide an accurate representation of what I see with my own eyes as the pictures always show them as much bigger & brighter. Always my favourites though :)

OP
Mike

Mike

Healer & Empath
Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2016
Southern, California
www.facebook.com
I've often wondered about something similar, Mike. I just found out last year that the stars I'd wondered about were the Pleiades. When you first posted this I immediately thought about them and wondered if they were what you were looking at also.

If you're looking at Orion from the northern hemisphere, Orion's Belt points almost at them (moving up and to the right). In these screenshots from my phone (I use the Star Walk app) the first shows Orion with Taurus above it. The Pleiades are the small, bright cluster shown up and to the right past Aldebran. Alcyone is labeled in the second screenshot and it's one of the stars within the Pleiades cluster. The formation is sometimes hard to see as you describe it, but the main stars do make a circular shape...almost like a question mark (zoomed in on them in the last screenshot).

Hope that helps!

View attachment 1673

View attachment 1674

View attachment 1675
Stargazer, I thought that too until I noticed the Pleiades were bright and can be traced into a line of sorts. This one I'm trying to find looks like the furthest stars I'd ever seen. They are sooo faint I can't see then unless I turn my eyes and use my side peripheral vision then I can see it a little bit. I know the smog here has somewhat to do with it but I can see everything else okay just this one small area, very small cluster since it looks soooo far away no joke it seems it's in the outer reaches of the universe LOL. of course not but the illusion causes that effect given how super dim this is as well as small. You could maybe hold out a dime or a penny at arms lenth and it maybe about that size and super super dim anyone would miss it if they weren't looking hard.
I tried to describe best I can lol oh it's east of the Orion area or Scorpio as I've always called it lol. I've seen it ahead of Orion and I've seen it close to it but not only is it east of, but also slightly north of Orion too.north east, yes. That's probably the best I can describe it. It's been cloudy last couple days but it will be clearing up and I WILL find it lol (the name) if it has one, jk! :D

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Haha! Everything you say still sounds to me like the Pleiades :)) :)) :)) I never see it as a line, only a very dim cluster.
I can't wait to hear what you are seeing because I'm so curious! Lol

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Thank you brooke. The Pleiades are within Taurus and the stars are too few and far from each other. This I'm talking about seems like a hundred thousand stars squished into one tiny spot and isolated. Sure wish I had a picture
I think I see the same system as what you describe when I'm at my old home. We have a home for sale in the country. There are so few lights there that on a clear night I can see millions of stars and the Milky Way. There's one patch of stars to the right of the Milky Way that looks like a blurry lighted spot. It must be billions of stars in one area. I've always wondered about it.

OP
Mike

Mike

Healer & Empath
Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2016
Southern, California
www.facebook.com
I think I see the same system as what you describe when I'm at my old home. We have a home for sale in the country. There are so few lights there that on a clear night I can see millions of stars and the Milky Way. There's one patch of stars to the right of the Milky Way that looks like a blurry lighted spot. It must be billions of stars in one area. I've always wondered about it.
Yes! I believe you have it. It's the only area like that. Only I can't see many stars but there are times it's clear of pollution and I can see more but nothing compared to the country or the mountains as I'm in the bottom of San Joaquin valley in California, all the LA pollution comes here to Bakersfield and Damn does it get bad. But yes it looks like a tiny patch could have billions and verrry far away it seems

Reactions: Vickie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)