Bringing the outside world into focus (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I've been involved with land conservation and trusts for many years. The big question always has been how to help others become aware of the bigger picture.

I found this article from the Tug Hill Tomorrowland Trust in New York. They've started a bird watching program in elementary schools and with home-schooled children. This project is incorporated into the science, math, and English curriculum, which is the best way for anyone to learn. When a concept is attached to something in life, then it becomes lasting knowledge, as opposed to rote learning.

In May, colorful birds signal the approaching summer. Over the course of a week, the students see cardinals, blue jays, crows, robins, sparrows, juncos, and goldfinches. They even see hummingbirds flitting and hovering around the flowers in the school garden.

They record the kinds of birds they see and they start asking questions. Why are the male birds more colorful? Why do they go to this feeder and not that one? Why are they drawn to bright flowers more than white ones? What do they eat when they’re not eating birdseed?

Soon, it’s not just the birds at the school feeders that get their attention. Susan says, “It was exciting because they’d come back in from their weekends and say, ‘Oh, I saw this, Mrs. Jeffers,’ ‘I saw a cardinal,’ or ‘I saw a Blue Jay.’ So they were becoming more observant of their own world, not only in school but outside of school.”

http://s3.amazonaws.com/landtrustalliance.org/article/files/TugHillTomorrowLandTrust-BirdQuest.pdf

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
It is the eagles that get my attention more than anything! Maybe it's just the unexpectedness of it.
Certainly, such an event which I am grateful for stops me in my tracks and everything that happens afterward is coloured by it.
Making a program out of it... that's just divine! And so simple, inexpensive, accessible...

Golmona

Retired Moderator
Aug 2, 2016
Amsterdam
Connectedness to nature including all beings I believe starts at a very young age. One of the earliest childhood memories I have is me running around in my grandparents' orchard and being in a blissful state, picking fruits and flowers (although I always got told off for picking flowers, especially from the neighbours' gardens hahahaha), naming trees and talking to them. Looking back, that's where spirituality started for me...

In the field of Environmental Psychology, Connectedness to Nature is a theory that hypothesises that people who feel connected to nature are more inclined to live sustainably and take actions to help preserve the natural world. And at the same time, Connectedness to Nature is highly likely to be established during childhood years.

I feel most connected to plants, I always have. I love animals, but there is something about plants that is so magical to me.

Great post Linda! I know there are many local initiatives like this all over the globe and I am looking forward to more popping up everywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)