Art Education / Play (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Here is a thread about ways for children to experience art. I will have a separate thread for music.

What activities do your children enjoy?
Are there books or other programs with helpful ideas?
How do you bring art activities and appreciation into your homes?
I'm sure there are a 100 other questions I could ask, but you get idea.

Reactions: Stargazer
A

AnnattaLiza

Hi Linda, my girl (6 yrs) is not at all interested in any activities, she seems to be little introvert. I am forcing her to participate in different programs but she never stepped on the dice. Lately, something popped up in my mind, I thought to encourage her with gifts and trophies, something like this http://www.houlthellewell.com/our-product-line/schools/ so that it can inspire her to participate in more programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Well, I am not a big fan of trophies unless a person has actually won an event. I feel that it may lead a child to focus on external reinforcement rather than internal satisfaction with their efforts.

Getting a child into activities can be tricky. If she really does not want to participate and is miserable the whole time, then it is not a good fit for her. On the other hand, some children are just fine once their parents are not around

Is there something she likes to do on her own? Does she like to draw or color? Maybe there is a way to use the things she likes to do to bridge the gap to more interactions with others.

I'll give you an example. Two of the children at our end of the street decorated white paper bags (the size of lunch bags) and went around to some of us, offering them for sale for 25 cents each. One of the children was very shy and did not talk, and the other one was more outgoing. However, the shy one was very happy that we thought enough of their work to actually buy it.

The little boy next door is shy, but we've become great friends because I allowed him to set the pace. For example, I will sit on the driveway drawing with chalk. He comes over and we talk and draw together.

I would love to hear from some of the other parents, aunts and uncles, and so on.

A

AnnattaLiza

She likes to play with dolls and building blocks. She strikes the pages with the colors when I give her colors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)