The Art of Divination (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
I love all forms of divination.

Although there are many different forms & they have often been considered taboo or just generally frowned upon, I find it to be not only enjoyable, but also extremely helpful. Mostly though, I find it helps me focus and remove distractions so I can better connect to my higher self.

My personal preference is intuitive card reading (I also collect decks for their beauty & appreciate the dual purpose), but I have had much success with just about every method I have tried. Pendulums do seem to produce incredibly accurate results too, & I feel a pull to expand on this (dowsing) in the near future.

I'm quite interested in expanding on this topic so I would love to know what method of divination appeals to you most, and whether there is anything you have wanted to learn about but didn't know where to start?

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
I love all forms of divination.

I'm quite interested in expanding on this topic so I would love to know what method of divination appeals to you most, and whether there is anything you have wanted to learn about but didn't know where to start?
When I was a kid, my dad took two old coat hangers and made a divining setup out of it. He showed me and my cousins how to hold the rods out, parallel and straight and we walked around the yard. It was the weirdest feeling to see those things literally cross and uncross, seemingly all by themselves when we apparently crossed over an area that had some kind of field to it. I still don't know what they sensed there (probably an underground water source), but it was insanely cool!
:eek:

OP
Brooke

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
When I was a kid, my dad took two old coat hangers and made a divining setup out of it. He showed me and my cousins how to hold the rods out, parallel and straight and we walked around the yard. It was the weirdest feeling to see those things literally cross and uncross, seemingly all by themselves when we apparently crossed over an area that had some kind of field to it. I still don't know what they sensed there (probably an underground water source), but it was insanely cool!
:eek:
Dowsing rods!! I was looking at those the other day-it has been ages since I used them (very similar to you-more of a childhood novelty) & I was curious about how they would feel for me now that I know more about them! I may just have to get some lol

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
At an herb shop that i worked at there was a woman who did energy work and she brought dowsing rods one day. She had me stand a little distance from her then started towards me with them, showing how far out my energy sphere went. Then she repeated it, after having me call my energy back to myself. She came a whole lot closer.

I found that to be a very interesting and tangible illustration of our power as well as visual for how the rods worked.

I also learned from my mom that my papap used dowsing rods to find the well in his yard. So, yeah. Pretty neat things. Hehe

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I also learned from my mom that my papap used dowsing rods to find the well in his yard. So, yeah. Pretty neat things. Hehe
My grandfather could dowse for water, too.

Lilia

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2016
Vayuna, via Switzerland
i too like to use divination tools, mostly tarot cards and for decision making when i feel a little unclear and feel like i am not really hearing my intuition i use the pendulum.
i have heard about dowsing, but i dont really get how that works, would someone care to explain it? how is that done, what can be seen or found by these rods?

OP
Brooke

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Pendulum work is actually a form of dowsing also, the rods are just another tool that when held near an energy source or the object one is looking for (best way i can describe it?) are supposed to cross each other or move outward.

There are plenty of sites with info but this one might help to start :)
http://www.geomantica.com/about-geomancy/

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
We use pendulums here, the whole family. Got an amethyst one for our son (12 years old) and he loves it, very adept at finding things with it. I'm better at communicating with it and doing healing and soul re-integration kind of work than finding things with it. My husband is amazing with unraveling energies and moving healing shifts into place. Mum-in-law has one too, but she's very secretive about what she uses it for. As she hasn't hit the lottery yet, I doubt it's for that...

I'm without a pendulum since my last one broke a couple of years ago, and since then I've just been using my hand as if I were holding the pendulum, and I get the same accuracy. Using a pendulum, though, the power is greatly amplified, no matter what I'm using it for. Lately, I have been feeling like I'd like to have one again, like my hand's a little tingly waiting for it to arrive.

I also will stand straight and ask a yes/no question, and feel a push forward for yes and backward for no, like the gentle pressure of a hand. This is especially useful when shopping, choosing things that are healthy, etc. and is very surreptitious to do in public. We muscle-test a lot of things too, in the way of kinesiology, which I suppose could be a form of divination, getting information from higher mind bypassing the mental editor.

Tarot is a dear love of mine and I have learned from my Pleiadian crew a specific layout. I haven't drawn it up yet... working on some divination info for sharing someday... My favorite deck is the first one I had a reading from, the Hanson-Roberts. It was love at first sight, and I find so much in them during a reading. They really speak volumes to me, even though they look very simplistic:Tarot_HansonRoberts2_USHR78.jpg

Meanwhile, I started working on a deck and that project's been on hold for a couple of years while I've been sorting out life and other projects. Hope to get back to that.

One of the things I like to do regarding divination is to discover new and creative methods of doing it, altogether. There are so many ways to communicate, locate, maneuver energies, measure energy movements, etc etc...

OP
Brooke

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
We use pendulums here, the whole family. Got an amethyst one for our son (12 years old) and he loves it, very adept at finding things with it. I'm better at communicating with it and doing healing and soul re-integration kind of work than finding things with it. My husband is amazing with unraveling energies and moving healing shifts into place. Mum-in-law has one too, but she's very secretive about what she uses it for. As she hasn't hit the lottery yet, I doubt it's for that...

I'm without a pendulum since my last one broke a couple of years ago, and since then I've just been using my hand as if I were holding the pendulum, and I get the same accuracy. Using a pendulum, though, the power is greatly amplified, no matter what I'm using it for. Lately, I have been feeling like I'd like to have one again, like my hand's a little tingly waiting for it to arrive.

I also will stand straight and ask a yes/no question, and feel a push forward for yes and backward for no, like the gentle pressure of a hand. This is especially useful when shopping, choosing things that are healthy, etc. and is very surreptitious to do in public. We muscle-test a lot of things too, in the way of kinesiology, which I suppose could be a form of divination, getting information from higher mind bypassing the mental editor.

Tarot is a dear love of mine and I have learned from my Pleiadian crew a specific layout. I haven't drawn it up yet... working on some divination info for sharing someday... My favorite deck is the first one I had a reading from, the Hanson-Roberts. It was love at first sight, and I find so much in them during a reading. They really speak volumes to me, even though they look very simplistic:View attachment 117

Meanwhile, I started working on a deck and that project's been on hold for a couple of years while I've been sorting out life and other projects. Hope to get back to that.

One of the things I like to do regarding divination is to discover new and creative methods of doing it, altogether. There are so many ways to communicate, locate, maneuver energies, measure energy movements, etc etc...
I have always wanted to create a deck also Maryann, but I know the time for that hasn't come yet so it's just an idea that sits in the back of my mind for now :)

As for your deck, I adore it! Very sweet! One of my favourite decks at the moment is actually a lenormand one by Ciro Marchetti. I just love the illustrations! I will have to order his tarot deck one day soon too.

We seem to have very similar thoughts in regard to divination, as I have always been someone who does things my own way (that's why I called it intuitive card reading instead of just Tarot). I know there are "rules" to a lot of different modalities but I don't always stick to those if they don't resonate. I prefer to create my own methods :)

Lilia

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2016
Vayuna, via Switzerland
wow i have the same technique as you Maryann, with using the feeling in my hand instead of an actual pendulum! never read about it before but it indeed works! and i can confirm, it works and using an actual pendulum magnifies the answer and i feel makes it more tangible. for years now i have used the sensations in my left hand, but recently i discovered, that different parts of my body are kind of "experts" on different ways of asking and different themes... like, my left hand is really awesome in discerning yes-no-maybe-answers, whether something is good for me or not or guiding me to the essential understanding of things or directions. when i ask my heart, i get that pull-away feeling backwards as indication that something is out of alignment for me or a sort of balancing-between-the-hemispheres-of-the-body-feeling for alignment. the right hand is awesome in dealing with things that have to do with giving and receiving... i am still in a process of playing with asking all different parts of the body what they have to say :D
About the tarot, actually i am in the process of designing my own deck too right now, i will certainly share it when its finished. i am so curious about what both your interpretations would look like Brooke and Maryann, id find it wonderful if you'd find the flow and time to finish (or start) your projects too and share them here :)

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
I've never before met an ambidextrous pendulum dowser! Hm, you bring ideas to me head...

I'll see if I can dig up some info on what I've done so far and share, regarding the cards. I had so many projects going at one time... life sure threw me some distractions :confused: LOL but yeah, good idea and thank you for the motivation!

Ben

Brother of Awen
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Shrewsbury, UK
We seem to have very similar thoughts in regard to divination, as I have always been someone who does things my own way (that's why I called it intuitive card reading instead of just Tarot). I know there are "rules" to a lot of different modalities but I don't always stick to those if they don't resonate. I prefer to create my own methods :)
Love it. I call it this too as it makes so much more sense to me. The cards speak to me in ways that aren't written down in the books that are "supposed" to accompany them. In this respect I truly believe that beauty and accuracy is in the hand of the holder NOT the creator. That said...now I've seen those gorgeous cards of @Maryann and eagerly wait in anticipation for @Lilia 's I do wonder what fireworks would fly when the creator herself wields the pack.

Dowsing, haha...same page again @Brooke

:cool:

Lilia

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2016
Vayuna, via Switzerland
@Maryann distractions, or just a palette of other rich experiences to draw your creative energy from when you come to a more calm period of time? ;)
motivation is good :) im happy to give of that :D

@Ben with the now incoming august energies, i dont promise anything but it might be possible you wont have to wait too long :)

Lois

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Also a tarot lover
Like Maryann I have devised a couple of spreads for reading. I'll share on here a bit later - let me know if anything works especially well or resonates with y'all.

I'd love to design a tarot, I've often thought of an Arthurian tarot deck... No doubt such a thing already exists, but I'd love to create something of my own. I visited a Museum of Tarot once in Spain which had some really early examples of decks from c15th. Utterly beautiful

I had a great, great aunt (who was with us until I was in my 20s) who used to read tea leaves. It used to fascinate me.

I also had a friend whose totem spirit was a crow. She would very accurately get information from watch the flight and movements of crows, or even a single crow.

OP
Brooke

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Also a tarot lover
Like Maryann I have devised a couple of spreads for reading. I'll share on here a bit later - let me know if anything works especially well or resonates with y'all.

I'd love to design a tarot, I've often thought of an Arthurian tarot deck... No doubt such a thing already exists, but I'd love to create something of my own. I visited a Museum of Tarot once in Spain which had some really early examples of decks from c15th. Utterly beautiful

I had a great, great aunt (who was with us until I was in my 20s) who used to read tea leaves. It used to fascinate me.

I also had a friend whose totem spirit was a crow. She would very accurately get information from watch the flight and movements of crows, or even a single crow.
You should totally check out lenormand if you haven't already! The symbols used are very much like tasseography (tea/coffee/wine etc sediment reading)

As for the Arthurian deck, perhaps the transients forum can contribute to something similar one day! Can you just imagine how amazing a transients deck would be lol

Lilia

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2016
Vayuna, via Switzerland
Also a tarot lover
oh i love playing around and trying out spreads for different askings! i'd love to share some of my favourites if you all want to. and i'd love to learn your techniques. what i have also found is, that different tarot decks respond well to different spreads. while one deck like the vision quest make total sense when laid out in a wheel-spread, another would just read nonsense but would make very much sense in a 3-card-daily-spread. what are the experiences you all had with this?

As for the Arthurian deck, perhaps the transients forum can contribute to something similar one day! Can you just imagine how amazing a transients deck would be lol
well a deck is 78 cards, each member who wants to participate, pick one and make a card! :D that would be really awesome :)

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
@Lilia, yes indeed, but I did find that rich tapestry of experience to be distracting, nonetheless. Of course, that's just a temporary state, innit? Now it's a tapestried bag of rich experience to draw from, for sure :D

I've heard stories that my grandmother got her tea leaves read after church every week. Nothing wrong with covering all the bases, I guess!

Kristy

Star child
Retired Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
3rd rock from the Sun
I have always wanted to create a deck also Maryann, but I know the time for that hasn't come yet so it's just an idea that sits in the back of my mind for now :)

As for your deck, I adore it! Very sweet! One of my favourite decks at the moment is actually a lenormand one by Ciro Marchetti. I just love the illustrations! I will have to order his tarot deck one day soon too.

What is the name of this deck?

OP
Brooke

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Which deck Kristy? The Ciro Marchetti one? If so it is called Gilded Reverie but it is Lenormand, not Tarot. He does have a Tarot Version though called Gilded Tarot :)

Reactions: Kristy
OP
Brooke

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Sorry for the slow reply Kristy, I was away camping with the kids lol.

The deck is beautiful! (Well I think it is at least lol). What did you want to know?
If you are interested in the look of the deck, both the tarot & lenormand decks have beautifully detailed illustrations and gilded edging, and are the size of standard playing cards (which is what lenormand was originally created from).

If you are asking about Lenormand itself, it is another form of card divination but it is different to tarot in that it only has 36 cards, and it is much more blunt than tarot (there are positive, negative, & neutral cards for example). In my opinion, the symbolism is also very similar to tasseography (tea leaf reading etc) if you have any experience with that?
It takes a bit of getting used to as most spreads require at least 3 cards in order to interpret not just the individual cards but the different card combinations as well, but it has been an incredibly accurate system for me when I have used it. Lenormand decks are sometimes referred to as gypsy cards too :)

Reactions: Kristy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)