Selah - the land that came back to life (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
There are several stories around the world about people who've reclaimed unproductive land no one wanted. This one is close to my heart because it is in my beloved Texas Hill Country. Like Mr. Bamberger, I first learned the meaning of the word "selah" from reading the Psalms. It means pause, reflect, consider.

Mr. Bamberger was one of the founders of Church's Fried Chicken and when he and his partner sold the business, he decided to settle in Blanco County, Texas on the worst land he could find. His dream was to bring it back into balance. In the ensuing 50 years, natural springs have returned, native grasses, as well as healthy mammal and bird populations. It may seem like a long time, but in the great scheme of things, it is but a little space of time. It has truly been a labor of love and life passion.

It is a working ranch that works with nature and not against it. There are summer nature camps for children, as well as adults. A number of educational programs are available, sharing info about land stewardship, water management, among others.

The crux of the change was allowing water to stay with the land, raising the ground water levels, and bringing natural springs back to life. How did this happen - native grasses. There are quite a few projects in this area to bring back native grasses, as opposed to the non-native varieties found in our yards and parks. Although the last drought has broken, another one will come. It is the natural cycle of this area. If we get a clue about how water and earth can work together, perhaps the next one will not be so bad.
http://bambergerranch.org/

Here is an eight-minute video from Nat Geo about the ranch. You can watch it for the info, or just as a visual meditation.

video.nationalgeographic.com/video/short-film-showcase/50-years-ago-this-was-a-wasteland-he-changed-everything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)