New idea for wine lovers (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Nathan Myhrvold, a former Chief Technology Officer at Microsoft, is interested in the science of food and got interested in the science of wine.

One of the things we are supposed to do is allow the open bottle of wine to breath for awhile before drinking. The assumption is that oxygen improves the taste. Being a scientist, he experimented with this concept, put the wine in a blender, and got great feedback. Next he tried blending with an inert gas and got the same response. So, it was not the addition of oxygen, but rather the release of gases, compounds, etc. within the wine.

So, for you wine lovers, run your wine through a blender, and let us know what you think. I have not done this yet, but there are several bottles of wine on the counter, so I might give it a try, too.

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
Nathan Myhrvold, a former Chief Technology Officer at Microsoft, is interested in the science of food and got interested in the science of wine.

One of the things we are supposed to do is allow the open bottle of wine to breath for awhile before drinking. The assumption is that oxygen improves the taste. Being a scientist, he experimented with this concept, put the wine in a blender, and got great feedback. Next he tried blending with an inert gas and got the same response. So, it was not the addition of oxygen, but rather the release of gases, compounds, etc. within the wine.

So, for you wine lovers, run your wine through a blender, and let us know what you think. I have not done this yet, but there are several bottles of wine on the counter, so I might give it a try, too.
I open, pour and drink, and worry about releasing the gasses later.;):ROFL:

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016

Several bottles of wine? I am coming over to YOUR house!

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I think I've heard of this. It's an interesting concept. I mean, it's like extreme decanting. Haha

I think I'm a little to lazy to try the blender. I'll just stick with the swirling, decanting, drinking part. Hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)