Human and Dog Communication (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Krena

Embracing Mystery, Mostly
Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
This article presents new research that measures how much dogs understand language. It's impressive, but not shocking if you have had a dog. We have had two Italian greyhounds in the past.

Currently, I have a dog boyfriend who visits me on the weekends with his owner. He is bilingual (French and English), and I have been trying to teach him to "slap me five," or merely to give me his paw. On my first attempt, he succeeded only once, sort of. The second time when his owner watched to see the trick, he didn't do it at all. This past weekend, when he saw I had a treat in my hand (in all fairness, I did the other times as well), he sat and handed me his paw without my asking! In other words, he knew how to do this all along, and just decided to please me this time, and his owner almost fell off her stool. He is a cheeky little soul who is much smarter than he lets on.

http://wapo.st/2bxX0EP?tid=ss_mail

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
My German Shepard never fails to amaze me. I know she couldn't possibly understand every word I say but she acts as though she can.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I've had dog and cat friends all of my life. I have no doubts that these results are correct. Their ability to understand spoken words and nuances of our behavior is astounding. In the past few years, I've become more aware of their unique gifts that are part of their mission here.

We take in rescue dogs, and were blessed to have the incomparable Emmitt with us for 2 years. He was very old and in poor health when he came. It was clear he had been mistreated, but he never wavered from his true self - a healer. I watched this scene play out so many times. People would stop, sit down, stroke his head, and gaze into his eyes.

Chance was the joy bringer - everyone smiled when he was around. Even though he was big and strong, people were not afraid of him. Strangers wanted to talk to him. Pepper, who is with us now, is the lover. People just want to pet her head. The other day 2 young men were here, and one of them said "I could stay here all day with her".

My beloved Emmitt.

Emmitt 1.jpg

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
I've had dog and cat friends all of my life. I have no doubts that these results are correct. Their ability to understand spoken words and nuances of our behavior is astounding. In the past few years, I've become more aware of their unique gifts that are part of their mission here.

We take in rescue dogs, and were blessed to have the incomparable Emmitt with us for 2 years. He was very old and in poor health when he came. It was clear he had been mistreated, but he never wavered from his true self - a healer. I watched this scene play out so many times. People would stop, sit down, stroke his head, and gaze into his eyes.

Chance was the joy bringer - everyone smiled when he was around. Even though he was big and strong, people were not afraid of him. Strangers wanted to talk to him. Pepper, who is with us now, is the lover. People just want to pet her head. The other day 2 young men were here, and one of them said "I could stay here all day with her".

My beloved Emmitt.

View attachment 784
Emit looks very special. There's something about his beautiful eyes. I'm sorry he's not still with you.

Salli

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 31, 2016
Emmitt looks wise Linda :)

I have a soft spot for shepherds, Vickie. When I was about 5, my Mum and Dad were out sailing and left a friend to look after me on the beach. I went wandering off with their shepherd and no one came after me. We were playing in the sea and got cut off by the tide. I could swim, but was only very little and the sea was rough. The dog, Boris, swam back to the shore with me hanging around his neck :). He might even have saved my life.

I swear my labradoodle, Hendrix, is beyond telepathic. Sometimes he knows we're going out for a w.a.l.k. before I've even thought about it myself!

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Emmitt looks wise Linda :)

I have a soft spot for shepherds, Vickie. When I was about 5, my Mum and Dad were out sailing and left a friend to look after me on the beach. I went wandering off with their shepherd and no one came after me. We were playing in the sea and got cut off by the tide. I could swim, but was only very little and the sea was rough. The dog, Boris, swam back to the shore with me hanging around his neck :). He might even have saved my life.
My sister has a labradoodle and he's very smart and so sweet. Those are great dogs.

German Shepherds are loyal in the extreme so I have no doubt he did save your life. What a nice story.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
We had a 'perpetual teenager' dog who would look you in the eye when you said 'Come.', make sure that you understood that he'd understood you... and then walk away.

And another who took daily walks that we didn't know about because he'd jump the fence while we were out.

Mike

Healer & Empath
Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2016
Southern, California
www.facebook.com
I had a daughtson weiner dog when I was little. She used to walk me to my bus stop everyday she would walk back and be waiting for me when the bus dropped me off to walk me back. The smartest dog I'd ever had. I would tell her to roll over and she would go to the ground and roll on the floor lol hilarious. There are so many instances I can share but it would take too long to type. I really miss her. We had to put her down when I was 18 and she was 20 years old!

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
We had a 'perpetual teenager' dog who would look you in the eye when you said 'Come.', make sure that you understood that he'd understood you... and then walk away.

And another who took daily walks that we didn't know about because he'd jump the fence while we were out.
Haha, that's funny Lila. I guess I have a teenage dog too. My fox terrier does the same thing. If I call him to come sit by me he looks at me, then runs over and sits by my husband. If my husband calls him he snuggles up by me.

ElleCee

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 14, 2016
Sun City, AZ, USA
Hi there! I have an excellent Shih Tzu named WalliPop. Also Wally was his first name from first owner, so I looked up Chinese words using the sound of Wah Li and it means Splendid Gift! And he is!
I trained him off leash. He is much "smarter" than my Shiba Inu was; but perhaps that is more of a compliant breed trait than brain ability: Shibas are fiercely independent and Shih Tzus are lap dogs. But WalliPop has a great amount of wolf in him and if let to go along on his own will do some amazing things. I try to communicate with him using only body language these days; it is a technique that is new to me, so we are learning in tandem.
If not for dogs I would have a difficult time navigating the universe.

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Hi there! I have an excellent Shih Tzu named WalliPop. Also Wally was his first name from first owner, so I looked up Chinese words using the sound of Wah Li and it means Splendid Gift! And he is!
I trained him off leash. He is much "smarter" than my Shiba Inu was; but perhaps that is more of a compliant breed trait than brain ability: Shibas are fiercely independent and Shih Tzus are lap dogs. But WalliPop has a great amount of wolf in him and if let to go along on his own will do some amazing things. I try to communicate with him using only body language these days; it is a technique that is new to me, so we are learning in tandem.
If not for dogs I would have a difficult time navigating the universe.
That's lovely EllCee and welcome to you and your dog WalliPop! Woof.

Mike

Healer & Empath
Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2016
Southern, California
www.facebook.com
I was sad the other night over a temporary incident and my dog I have now came and stood on my chest as I was laying on my back and she looked genuinely concerned. I REALLY honestly believe they understand a lot more than the scientific community gives them credit for. I know they are empathic and feel many things from us, I just wish it was more of a widespread knowledge

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
I was sad the other night over a temporary incident and my dog I have now came and stood on my chest as I was laying on my back and she looked genuinely concerned. I REALLY honestly believe they understand a lot more than the scientific community gives them credit for. I know they are empathic and feel many things from us, I just wish it was more of a widespread knowledge
Well dogs are used for detecting oncoming epileptic seizures so it would seem that of course they are able to read our auras. Glad you had a friend to comfort you.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I remembered a time when our neighbors' labs got loose. I finally caught up with them at the top of the hill, the younger one just looked at me, and I knew exactly what she was saying "I'm not finished running, so buzz off". (I eventually managed to round them up.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)