All that Texas wind is paying off (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
On our vacation we drove through west Texas and noticed the incredible growth in wind turbines - wind farms. They were on the ranges with the cattle, on ridge lines, and on mesas. I was not happy about the last two because I felt they were an intrusion into sacred spaces.

We saw blades and towers being transported - they are huge. It is hard to imagine how the wind could turn the blades. We also learned that these "farms" are a boon to the local economies - providing jobs where there are few, as well as offsetting ranching expenses. Even the cows appreciate them, resting in the shade from the towers. You can see them lined up in the shadows. I wanted to get a picture, but could not find a vantage point that would show the enormity of the farms.

If you've ever been to west Texas, you know that the wind and sun are constant companions. I came across this article describing the growth in wind farms along the Texas coast (Gulf of Mexico). In other parts of the country, the wind is not constant and often peaks in the evening. Along the coast the difference in wind temperatures blowing from the water across the land creates a convection current that is strong enough to turn the turbine blades. The peak time of this convergence matches the peak time of electrical usage.

And it’s not just the coastal turbines that are cutting into gas-fired plants’ business. When inland farms are included, wind power now supplies about a fifth of Texas’s electricity market. Solar power is also growing in the state. All of this helped push the average on-peak price set by Ercot—the grid operator that controls most of the Texas market—down 55 percent the past five years to $25.34 per megawatt hour, according to data compiled by Genscape Inc.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-06-20/texas-is-too-windy-and-sunny-for-old-energy-companies-to-make-money

The drop in electrical costs is interesting because we've not seen it on our electric bill. Sigh....

I've also heard about these wind farms being a danger to birds, but did not know anything more until I found this article. The upshot is that bird deaths associated with wind turbines may be fewer than those found with other power generating facilities. Additionally, the environmental fallout from the other sources may have a farther reaching effect on birds and animals. It seems there are some questions to be answered about migratory paths and the presence of any facility along these routes. I also want to see attention paid to the migratory path of butterflies, as well.

https://theconversation.com/wind-farms-are-hardly-the-bird-slayers-theyre-made-out-to-be-heres-why-79567

Reactions: Stargazer

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Gentle winds of change.
Felt them at the solstice. They were uplifting... in this case to areas with lots of wind and sun but perhaps what has it he past been less of what was previously valued to make a living from.
Love this new perspective on these gentle winds<3

Reactions: Linda and Stargazer

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Lots of wasps bumping into me these days, despite there being fewer of them around. They don't usually touch me and since you posted about the messages from wasps, I am happier than ever to have them do so. It's beginning to feel a bit like a sisterly nudge or high-five as our communities reorganize around the divine feminine. Love that perspective!
Some butterflies and moths too...<3

Reactions: Linda and Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I would love to be the butterfly ambassador - how cool would that be!

I suppose I'm sensitive to their migration because Monarch butterflies converge in Texas on their way to Mexico. You can see them massed on bushes or trees while they are resting. Last fall our backyard was in the migration path of the snout nose butterflies, and over a few days thousands streamed through the yard.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I saw four monarchs today, so this comment is giving me a big smile.
But insects in a swarm, that is a whole 'nother thing!<3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)