Fake Virgin Olive Oil (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
The Extra Virgin Oil Scam

IMG_5048.JPG

Olive oil is so healthy. It's considered a Good fat. I keep olive in an oil dispenser right by my stove and I use it for almost all my cooking.

IMG_5049.jpg

I substitute half of the butter that's needed in a recipe for mild olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil makes the very best oven fries. I try to use it for everything instead of vegetable oil or canola oil which aren't any longer considered healthy.

In addition to cooking and salad dressing I use it as a hot oil conditioner for my hair and it is perfect as a makeup remover.

Recently the University of California carried out a study where they tested 124 imported brands of extra virgin olive oil to make sure the oil was pure and found that 70% failed the test. The oils that failed the test were mixed with chlorophyll added to sunflower and canola oil to give it the taste of extra virgin oil.

The brands that failed the test are:
  • Pompeian
  • Bertolli
  • Colavita
  • Star
  • Sasso
  • Antica Badia
  • Primadonna
  • Carapelli
  • Mazola
  • Felippo Berio
  • Safeway
  • Whole Foods
  • Carapelli
  • Coricelli
  • Mezzetta
The brands that passed the test are:
  • Corto Olive
  • Ottavio
  • Omaggio
  • Bariani Olive Oil
  • Lucini
  • Kirkland Organic
  • Lucero
  • Olea Estates
  • McEvoy Ranch Organic
  • Cobram Estate
  • California Olive Ranch
If your extra virgin olive oil brand is not listed you can do a test that is pretty good at revealing real extra virgin olive oil. Just place it in the refrigerator and if it solidifies you have pure extra virgin olive oil but if it stays liquid it's a fake.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
The Extra Virgin Oil Scam

View attachment 1738

Olive oil is so healthy. It's considered a Good fat. I keep olive in an oil dispenser right by my stove and I use it for almost all my cooking.

View attachment 1739

I substitute half of the butter that's needed in a recipe for mild olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil makes the very best oven fries. I try to use it for everything instead of vegetable oil or canola oil which aren't any longer considered healthy.

In addition to cooking and salad dressing I use it as a hot oil conditioner for my hair and it is perfect as a makeup remover.

Recently the University of California carried out a study where they tested 124 imported brands of extra virgin olive oil to make sure the oil was pure and found that 70% failed the test. The oils that failed the test were mixed with chlorophyll added to sunflower and canola oil to give it the taste of extra virgin oil.

The brands that failed the test are:
  • Pompeian
  • Bertolli
  • Colavita
  • Star
  • Sasso
  • Antica Badia
  • Primadonna
  • Carapelli
  • Mazola
  • Felippo Berio
  • Safeway
  • Whole Foods
  • Carapelli
  • Coricelli
  • Mezzetta
The brands that passed the test are:
  • Corto Olive
  • Ottavio
  • Omaggio
  • Bariani Olive Oil
  • Lucini
  • Kirkland Organic
  • Lucero
  • Olea Estates
  • McEvoy Ranch Organic
  • Cobram Estate
  • California Olive Ranch
If your extra virgin olive oil brand is not listed you can do a test that is pretty good at revealing real extra virgin olive oil. Just place it in the refrigerator and if it solidifies you have pure extra virgin olive oil but if it stays liquid it's a fake.
So glad you posted this. The mafia makes fake olive oil for profit. Atleast the chlorophyll is healthy. I pick up my olive oil from Costco & a small family owned olive oil store here that rates olive oils like wine. They have their own olive oil tasting bar. They also import real balsalmic vinegar. The stuff in grocery stores are fake.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Vickie, perhaps you can help me to understand: I thought virgin olive oil lost some properties when it was heated, i.e. good oil for salads, not good for frying?

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
So glad you posted this. The mafia makes fake olive oil for profit. Atleast the chlorophyll is healthy. I pick up my olive oil from Costco & a small family owned olive oil store here that rates olive oils like wine. They have their own olive oil tasting bar. They also import real balsalmic vinegar. The stuff in grocery stores are fake.
I'm going to have to find a different place to buy it. I've been buying it at the grocery store and using it thinking I was doing a good thing. Now I find it was fake. :mad:

Reactions: Anaeika
OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Vickie, perhaps you can help me to understand: I thought virgin olive oil lost some properties when it was heated, i.e. good oil for salads, not good for frying?
I don't know that answer HM. Maybe you can find information online. I use all kinds of olive oils for many things but I thought I was buying real olive oil. I was just sharing the fake olive oil brands. I'm not an olive oil expert. :)

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Since you posted about that, HM I became curious and I did look it up but I don't really have an answer. It's pretty divided on using extra virgin for cooking. I use a plain, mild oil for cooking mostly because the extra virgin has a strong taste. Most of what I read said that extra virgin olive oil does lose some of its healthy properties but is still better than vegetable or canola although it shouldn't be used for high temp frying. I use plain mild oil for oven fries and it seems to be okay. I've always done that. What do you think, HM?

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Since you posted about that, HM I became curious and I did look it up but I don't really have an answer. It's pretty divided on using extra virgin for cooking. I use a plain, mild oil for cooking mostly because the extra virgin has a strong taste. Most of what I read said that extra virgin olive oil does lose some of its healthy properties but is still better than vegetable or canola although it shouldn't be used for high temp frying. I use plain mild oil for oven fries and it seems to be okay. I've always done that. What do you think, HM?
I have the answer to this question from my naturopath, just give me some time to get it as I am sick and the info is all the way on my fridge! Lol

Reactions: Vickie
OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
I have the answer to this question from my naturopath, just give me some time to get it as I am sick and the info is all the way on my fridge! Lol
I'm sorry you're sick. No hurry on the answer but I'm glad you have an answer. <3

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Well, that's just great - doing a test now.
This is a colossal fraud, which has been going on for years according to a quick on-line search. I had no idea!

Reactions: Anaeika and Vickie

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
There was a Spanish study a few years ago: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1200303 , that concluded that eating Mediterranean diet supplemented by extra virgin olive oil or nuts reduced the risk of cardiovascular events (heart attack, stroke) in high risk folks. I believe there was benefit noted for using the olive oil in salads, but more benefit if used in salads+general cooking.

Regarding the temperature, each oil has its temperature at which it becomes too hot and starts to break down. For olive oil, I recall reading that this temperature is 350C and that other oils like coconut could withstand higher temperatures before starting to smoke.

...found a site listing oils and 'smoking point' temperatures: https://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CookingOilTypes.htm

(Yes, I have done this in the kitchen before, lol! Found the smoking point of an oil by leaving it on too hot a stove for too long... it sure is a stinky and messy experiment to do!)

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
There was a Spanish study a few years ago: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1200303 , that concluded that eating Mediterranean diet supplemented by extra virgin olive oil or nuts reduced the risk of cardiovascular events (heart attack, stroke) in high risk folks. I believe there was benefit noted for using the olive oil in salads, but more benefit if used in salads+general cooking.

Regarding the temperature, each oil has its temperature at which it becomes too hot and starts to break down. For olive oil, I recall reading that this temperature is 350C and that other oils like coconut could withstand higher temperatures before starting to smoke.

...found a site listing oils and 'smoking point' temperatures: https://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CookingOilTypes.htm

(Yes, I have done this in the kitchen before, lol! Found the smoking point of an oil by leaving it on too hot a stove for too long... it sure is a stinky and messy experiment to do!)
Thanks, Lila. I'll check out your link. I am just learning more and more here.

Reactions: Anaeika and Lila
OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Well, that's just great - doing a test now.
This is a colossal fraud, which has been going on for years according to a quick on-line search. I had no idea!
I hadn't heard it before now. I guess I've been buying the fakes for years thinking I was getting healthy oils to use. I wonder how many other things are fakes.

Have you heard about those expensive Centrum brand vitamins like Centrum Silver and all the rest of the Centrum line? A study proved they are worthless. They have very little vitamins in them and are just filling and color.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Here's the link from my ND:

http://balancedbites.com/faqs-what-are-safe-cooking-fats-oils/

It's worth clicking bc it goes into everything we just discussed, including smoking point. She recommends coconut, palm, & animals fats for cooking. Olive oil, sesame, nut oils, flaxseed, avocado oils for cold uses bc they are so unstable & oxidize easily.

I want to add that cooking w butter is a GOOD thing, as it increases bioavailability of vitamin A absorption.

Personally, after receiving my 23&me genetic results, I learned that I do not absorb vitamin A from plant sources, but I do from animal sources. A deficiency in vitamin A leads to night blindness, which I have. Insightful stuff! It's taught me more how to take care of my body.

Reactions: Lila and Vickie

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
I hadn't heard it before now. I guess I've been buying the fakes for years thinking I was getting healthy oils to use. I wonder how many other things are fakes.

Have you heard about those expensive Centrum brand vitamins like Centrum Silver and all the rest of the Centrum line? A study proved they are worthless. They have very little vitamins in them and are just filling and color.
Centrum is terrible & synthetic. Food based vitamins are best, such as Dr. Sear's endorsed Juice Plus, Metagenics, DoTerra essential oil based vitamins, but these are much more expensive than Centrum. The best nutrition comes from food, granted we eat healthy and eat a "rainbow" of vegetables & fruits daily.

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Here's the link from my ND:

http://balancedbites.com/faqs-what-are-safe-cooking-fats-oils/

It's worth clicking bc it goes into everything we just discussed, including smoking point. She recommends coconut, palm, & animals fats for cooking. Olive oil, sesame, nut oils, flaxseed, avocado oils for cold uses bc they are so unstable & oxidize easily.

I want to add that cooking w butter is a GOOD thing, as it increases bioavailability of vitamin A absorption.

Personally, after receiving my 23&me genetic results, I learned that I do not absorb vitamin A from plant sources, but I do from animal sources. A deficiency in vitamin A leads to night blindness, which I have. Insightful stuff! It's taught me more how to take care of my body.
Wow! Great information on your linked page. That is a great guide on oils. I downloaded it for a reference. Thanks.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Wow! Great information on your linked page. That is a great guide on oils. I downloaded it for a reference. Thanks.
You are welcome. Feels good to share my lovr of health & nutrition w you.

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
You are welcome. Feels good to share my lovr of health & nutrition w you.
When you get to feeling better I sure hope you'll consider writing a few articles for this board. We would love to hear more about natural products you use.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
When you get to feeling better I sure hope you'll consider writing a few articles for this board. We would love to hear more about natural products you use.
Hey, absolutely! Part of my problem this year is that I have been running after my tots & neglecting my health needs. I do forget that I have an autoimmune disease when I am keeping it in check, but stop doing all the things to keep me healthy & then, boom! I pick up every virus & symptoms linger forever & then my immune system goes on overdrive & makes me achy & fatigued. I am wondering if I am getting my dad's arthritis. I did stop taking supplements that my ND gives me bc they're a lot & expensive. Now I know what it is like w/o them, so back I'll go.

Anyway, my interest in health, nutrition, & alternative medicine stems from my personal health issues, so being able to share what I've learned is good to help others.

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Hey, absolutely! Part of my problem this year is that I have been running after my tots & neglecting my health needs. I do forget that I have an autoimmune disease when I am keeping it in check, but stop doing all the things to keep me healthy & then, boom! I pick up every virus & symptoms linger forever & then my immune system goes on overdrive & makes me achy & fatigued. I am wondering if I am getting my dad's arthritis. I did stop taking supplements that my ND gives me bc they're a lot & expensive. Now I know what it is like w/o them, so back I'll go.

Anyway, my interest in health, nutrition, & alternative medicine stems from my personal health issues, so being able to share what I've learned is good to help others.
I sure understand how busy life can be for a mother with young children. I remember those times when my own were young and then to have health issues on top of all that. No hurry. Your family and health are much more important.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
My olive oil passed the solidification test. Thank goodness because it was on the pricey side, and I would be quite unhappy to pay a premium price for canola oil!!

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I'm still working on tweaking my own systems based on the information here as it relates to what I do and know so far but wanted to let you know that I found some nice missing pieces here so I particularly wanted to thank you for this one, Anaeika <3

Even the airlines insist that you put your own airbag on first because you are not much use to anybody when you are worn out. Lol, perhaps that should be tattooed on every mother's heart, as well as the hearts of her entire support group so that somebody can step in whenever she looks frazzled, distracted or fatigued!:) Goes for dads too, of course, just that the dice are that much more loaded for moms carrying, nursing etc the littlest ones.
Good luck with that balancing act! It's a doozie:-D
Doing it all over again I'd acknowledge that many things were done very well, but I would have insisted on more couple time and taught my children even earlier in life how to give massages, back rubs, walk on mommy's back (while they are little enough), hair brushing for comfort, etc. (after all, they need to practice on someone, right;)). I also would have found a way to formalize the importance of meditative states, which are everywhere; often unacknowledged.

Reactions: Vickie and Anaeika
OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
My olive oil passed the solidification test. Thank goodness because it was on the pricey side, and I would be quite unhappy to pay a premium price for canola oil!!
My test failed although it wasn't as expensive as others it still wasn't cheap. :mad: It stayed completely liquid in the fridge.

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
I thought it was an intended joke :)

On the topic, I was surprised to find out that the olive oil mom uses is actually genuine.
It was an intended play on words to try to get some visits to the board to try and save it from deletion.

I'm a former website designer and I also wrote copy for the pages. In website work you have to work hard to get people interested enough to read more so wording is very important. I guess it was a little edgy but it did work.

I'm glad your mom found the real thing. Mine is definitely fake.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Which one was yours?

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Which one was yours?
HEB grocers has an "Italy week" and brings in all kinds of special items, which they offer in taste testings, including wine (I've walked out with a little buzz before :p).

The olive oil is Rustica from the Asaro family in Sicily. It passed.

Last edited:

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
HEB grocers has an "Italy week" and brings in all kinds of special items, which they offer in taste testings, including wine (I've walked out with a little buzz before :p).

The olive oil is Rustica from the Asaro family in Sicily. It passed.
HEB is amazing! Will need to find out if mine holds this event.

I buy mine from Olive & Vine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)