Liquid nitrogen makes the best ice cream (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I heard about this yesterday and was intrigued. I found some info online and wanted to share with you all. Has anyone here tried it?

The basic concept is that water and fat molecules form crystals when freezing, and the faster the mix freezes, the fewer crystals will form, which makes a creamier ice cream. The warmth of the mixture causes the nitrogen to boil away. An open window might be a good idea, too.

Apparently, you can make it at home, but you need 2 fearless people. I'm adding links to 2 sites that describe how to do it. If you are going to try this, it is imperative you read the info on both pages because there are some safety concerns.

From Instructables - http://www.instructables.com/id/Liquid-Nitrogen-Ice-Cream-1/

Liquid Nitrogen boils at −321 °F. Which means, holy guacamole that is cold! You'll be want to careful not to expose your skin to it or hold your hand in it, unless you're trying to lose a limb. A drop on the arm isn't going to kill you, your body temperature will ensure that the LN2 rapidly boils off, but it will feel very cold.

Here's what you need to safely make LN2 Ice Cream:

One dewar (a super insulated flask designed to hold LN2). I do not recommend using a regular store bought thermos. It may hold the LN2, but will rapidly degrade and fall apart, frozen apart by the extremely cold temperature within. Dewars are expensive, so if you have a friend at a chemistry lab, check there first.

Gloves -- you can try oven mitts or household cleaning gloves that go up your arm

A strong wooden spoon -- a metal spoon will conduct the cold and make it really uncomfortable to mix your liquid nitrogen ice cream. Go with wood.

Additional info at http://www.oxarc.com/homemade_ice_cream.ydev

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)