Do you have a memorable experience around star gazing? (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Krena

Embracing Mystery, Mostly
Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/200-meteors-hour-set-streak-across-sky-tonight-when-where-n628406

Fellow stargazers: Perseid Meteor Shower tonight and likely tomorrow.
I did not see the volume they predicted, but saw one curious one which spiraled out first thing.
Then two more in opposite parts of the sky.
However, I was impatient....and headed back inside after I got bitten.
Good thing, I had locked myself out, and my husband had not yet fallen asleep.
Oh, my...bitten?

I'm hoping it was by a mosquito and not a vampire or something. :D

Reactions: Anaeika and Vickie

Krena

Embracing Mystery, Mostly
Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
METEORIC OPPORTUNITY FROM ZOONIVERSE:

Hi there,
It's my absolute pleasure to bring to you the latest Zooniverse project - Radio Meteor Zoo
BRAMS (Belgian RAdio Meteor Stations) is a network of radio receiving stations using reflection of radio waves on meteor trails to detect and characterize meteoroids falling into the Earth’s atmosphere.
Every day a huge amount of data is produced by the BRAMS network with thousands of meteor echoes registered. The data are presented as images (called spectrograms) and automatic detection algorithms try to detect specific shapes associated with meteor echoes. However, none of them can perfectly mimic the human eye which stays the best detector. The problem is particularly striking during meteor showers, occurring when the Earth is passing through a cloud of dust particles left behind by a comet when it approaches the Sun. Many meteor echoes with complex shapes are then observed in the spectrograms. The Radio Meteor Zoo project starts with data from the Perseids 2016 (peaking around August 11-12) with dust particles belonging to comet Swift-Tuttle. We request the help of many eyes from citizen scientists around the world. Your help is invaluable!

Your meteor detections will be used to determine how many particles enter the Earth’s atmosphere per hour, to determine the peak time of meteor activity, to estimate the size distribution of the particles, and to compute trajectories of particles using data from multiple BRAMS receiving stations.

People from all over the world and of all ages are welcome to participate. Whether you love meteors, astronomy, or just helping out, come join the Radio Meteor Zoo today and discover the fascinating world of dust from space.

You’re also invited to chat with researchers and other users on Radio Meteor Zoo Talk. The team is looking forward to working with you!

Get involved right now at www.zooniverse.org/projects/zooniverse/radio-meteor-zoo
Thanks so much for your continued efforts!
Grant and the Zooniverse Team

ElleCee

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 14, 2016
Sun City, AZ, USA
Hi. My most intense experience was when I spent a month in Moab, Utah, USA. I was house sitting so was able to go out to Arches National Park late at night and view a dark sky. I was there in Nov. The best night was new moon and I parked at Courthouse Wash trail head. I picked my way up the very dark trail far enough to be away from passing car lights. Sat on a rock & looked up till I got too cold. The sky was so deep and mystical and magickal. Very intense. I also go out every night and walk under the stars. Best time to hear the Great Horned Owls.

Lois

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Last Night The stars were running in The Sky. I could feel their energy and hear their messages. I Also felt They were moved by an unseen hand as If they were participating in a bigger ceremony...
Yes yes YES! I love watching that pageantry - one of my earliest memories (about 3yo) was watching the procession of the night sky arcing, wheeling and telling me secrets and stories xxx

Lois

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

So many joyful times watching sun sets, moon rises and the beautiful procession of the stars across the skies.
This years perseids were incredible - multicoloured huge and breath-takin fly beautiful.

I've tried to post some pictures, hopefully it's worked... New phone + techno bimbo = uncertain attachments

Henda

Mystic Healer and Astral Explorer Author
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Hi. My most intense experience was when I spent a month in Moab, Utah, USA. I was house sitting so was able to go out to Arches National Park late at night and view a dark sky. I was there in Nov. The best night was new moon and I parked at Courthouse Wash trail head. I picked my way up the very dark trail far enough to be away from passing car lights. Sat on a rock & looked up till I got too cold. The sky was so deep and mystical and magickal. Very intense. I also go out every night and walk under the stars. Best time to hear the Great Horned Owls.
This sounds great ElleCee. Even though I have visited your country a couple of times already, I don't think I ever spent a night up high. Maybe later on in the year when I plan to return I will get some elevation! :)

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
After leaving a friend’s house in Arizona and walking to my car, I recall looking up into the starry night. A particularly bright star caught my attention, brighter than the North Star. I just stared at it wonderingly. Then, it disappeared as if someone had flipped a lightswitch. Then, this light turned back on in a different part of the sky. This was no star! There was no way a plane could move this fast. I fumbled with my car keys, as if I was in a silly horror flick, then sped off in my car to the nearest bar.

I was in my early 20s when this happened. If it happened today, I wouldn’t be scared, knowing what I know now. :)O.O

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
Does anyone else want to share?
I still remember having seen the most beautiful sky in Peru -like Laron- during my early years when living there. We used to go to a town in North Peru where my maternal grandparents lived, it was close to a couple of mountains with pure and clean air and great mild weather. At that time the town's electricity was provided by generators that were turned off at around 10:30 pm so you could actually see so many stars in the sky it was incredible -you couldn't even see a single star in big cities. I many times wonder what would happen if power went off worldwide for a day and people were to look up and realize the magnificence of the universe and the implications of all of us living in a single small world in an unremarkable star. It would be transformational at many levels, above all spiritual.

Last edited:

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
So my ex went sailing with his dad, brother, & another man from Hawaii to California. At night, they described a light coming towards them. Thinking it was an approaching ship, they tried to navigate themselves out of the way, but realized it was the rising moon! It looked so foreign to them that they did not initially recognize it.

Imagine that!

OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I would be outside more here at night but it's really freezing lately. The sky is quite nice here in the desert near Tucson in Arizona.

I many times wonder what would happen if power went off worldwide for a day and people were to look up and realize the magnificence of the universe and the implications of all of us living in a single small world in an unremarkable star. It would be transformational at many levels, above all spiritual.
This sounds great.

Earth hour is coming up! https://www.earthhour.org/

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I'm heading up to the cabin this weekend, a first ever winter trip! I can't wait to see the starts at night. I need a proper dslr Gotta get one in the next year or two. I'd love to do some long exposure star shots.

Alain

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Aug 29, 2017
Too much stars are not visible where i life as there are far more lights than necessary to see much.

Last mounth i had somehow a thing that didn t matched. Well i see three stars in a row in a like 12% sinking.

I see certain big stars where one can surely be the north star.

So this day i was on my way home when i saw i like orange object low on the horrizon. The road near was not in that place and it seemed to move. At the end i didn t knew what to think of it so i went on.

Now neatly at home i saw a light like a normal start on mid horizon and a litzle later other such lights appeatwd to give it a form. After a bit of refection when it repeated i thought that a cloud must hide something.

That night there were a "lot" stars seen.

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I'm heading up to the cabin this weekend, a first ever winter trip! I can't wait to see the starts at night. I need a proper dslr Gotta get one in the next year or two. I'd love to do some long exposure star shots.
A full moon put an end to serious star gazing. :((:)

Reactions: Anaeika

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)