Ecopoxy (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

spiritualorgone

Just Arrived
May 4, 2019
I have been using polyester resin for a few years now and have recently switched to Ecopoxy, I made some 8" clearing plates. After the last layer was applied and hard to the touch I put them in the freezer to get ready for demold. After I took them out of the freezer they were still hard because they were frozen. After they thawed the last layer became sticky again. My question is could the Ecopoxy have absorbed moisture from the freezer and gone sticky again. I have emailed the company with this question but haven`t heard back from them yet, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

• Intriguing Post
Reactions: Lila and Anaeika
Hi Spiritualorgone, I've not worked with ecopoxy so I can't say, but it does sound feasible, as does the idea of the resin molecular changes which cause hardening being slowed down too much by the freezing. Personally I've not had good luck with trying to rescue epoxy gone bad. A few things which have worked but are far from perfect is sunning it in hard sun under a glass dome or something to keep dust and pollen from curing into the resin. Another thing is re-coating it. The problem with that is you still have uncured resin underneath which may or may not ever cure depending on how things went wrong.
I wish you much luck on re-covering them or getting them to finish curing. Let us know how it turns out.

• Winner
  • Thank you!

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
You should really make sure the Ecopoxy is fully cured before putting it in the freezer to avoid variables causing problems. Once epoxy is cured it should be chemically inert with just about everything.

• Intriguing Post
  • Helpful Post

Bert

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Jan 10, 2019
Belgium
Probably the ecopoxy has a different reaction time then the one you used previously and thus it was not completely cured.

Instead of sunlight you could use long wave UV lights to help the curing. They use this for dental fillings to speed up the process.
these are the normal "black lights".
this also gives you the ability to do it in a "clean" room and not outside

• Helpful Post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)