You Were Beautiful When You Were Younger (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
A 6-year-old said that to me. I laughed, and the conversation went in another direction. However, the next time we talk, I want to explore the idea of beauty a little more.

To me, beauty is so much more than current social appearance. If you want to get to basics, it often is described as the Golden Ratio. Nautilus shell are beautiful in their "perfect" shape. Have we all not thought that a person has inner beauty - that something special that shines from deep within?

So I'm working on some other ideas that are more easily understood by a child.

One place to start might be observation and appreciation, and the natural world is a great place for that.

When you see a colorful sunset, do you think it is beautiful? Yes, because the colors are so rich and fill up the sky. Somehow they seem to fill you up, too. You feel happy and people smile and say "look at that beautiful sunset".​
Watching butterflies move around flowers or noticing new blooms on a plant could be a gateway to appreciation for other things.​

I'm wondering if kindness is another way to see beauty because it requires that a person step outside themselves and see others. Some children seem naturally inclined and others, not so much. Sometimes I use the word gentle in lieu of kind - being gentle with the cats. This concept seems a little harder to teach, yet, I think it is key in understanding beauty as more than outward appearance.

Then there are feelings.

When your grandparents come for a visit, do you run to them for a hug? How does that feel - warm, loving, safe? Do their faces light up, and they smile so big even their eyes smile?​
When your friend makes up a story just for you, how do you feel? Does your friend have a smile and speak with kind words? How do you feel - special, loved?​

I think what it comes down to is how we feel in our hearts because that is where beauty resides.

I've cobbled together some rough ideas and sure would like to hear more from others about beauty.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I had an idea just now, as I was looking out the window and doing the dishes (when some of my best ideas happen).

There is beauty you see with your eyes, and there is beauty you feel with your heart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)