Why I keep speaking up, even when people mock my accent | Safwat Saleem, TED Talk (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
"What is normal anyway? We know reviewers will find spelling errors in your writing if they think you're black. We know that professors are less likely to help female... students. And we know that resumes with white sounding names get more callback that resemes with black sounding names. Why is that? Because of our expectations of what is normal." — Safwat Saleem

artist.jpg

This is another great TED talk which I am sure a lot of people can relate to.

"Artist Safwat Saleem grew up with a stutter -- but as an independent animator, he decided to do his own voiceovers to give life to his characters. When YouTube commenters started mocking his Pakistani accent, it crushed him, and his voice began to leave his work. Hear how this TED Fellow reclaimed his voice and confidence in this charming, thoughtful talk."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)