When a kid leaves the traditional education system behind (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
At age 13, Logan Laplante was removed from the public education system and home schooled. This gave him the opportunity to receive an education tailored around his interests and needs, based on his unique style of learning; not always available with the traditional education system.

In a remarkable show of wisdom, especially for someone his age, Logan says that when he grows up he wants to be happy and healthy. At a TEDx talk in 2013, he brings up how hacking his education is helping him achieve that goal.

Logan’s story also parallels Jacob Barnett, who was put into special education by his school until his parents intervened, deciding to home school instead. Jacob is now understood to be incredibly intelligent with a level of genius that may win him a Nobel Prize one day.

(First video removed as the uploaded on Youtube was breaching copyright by uploading it.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Golmona

Golmona

Retired Moderator
Aug 2, 2016
Amsterdam
Great talks Laron!

I have been increasingly interested in the topic of homeschooling/unschooling as of late as my son grows older and we inevitably reach a point when we have to make a decision regarding the approach we want to take with his education. I lean more and more towards homeschooling, even unschooling to be honest.

Recently I read a very interesting article about grown unschoolers, meaning children who did not go to school and were not homeschooled in any curriculum-based way, but instead were allowed to take charge of their own education. In this study the researchers questioned how the unschooled feel about the unschooling experience and their the ability to pursue higher education, if they chose to do so, and to find gainful and satisfying adult employment.

Here is the link to the full article:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/freedom-learn/201406/survey-grown-unschoolers-i-overview-findings

Reactions: Laron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)