What tarot cards do you use? (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
My primary tarot deck is the Animal Divine by Lisa Hunt. These are my cards below.

12795332_10156576946185057_664505506864128485_n.jpg

Here is one of the cards in more detail.

knight.jpg

I used to use the Mythic Tarot deck but swapped over the Animal Divine. When I was in the U.S. earlier in the year, I borrowed Kristy's deck below which I loved using. The Wild Unknown deck was created by Kim Krans. Oh, I just read on her website that this deck is going out of print in five days time! More info here: https://www.thewildunknown.com/products/tarot-deck. Below is a photo of Kristy's deck.

12802853_10156608522525057_3631999141832277427_n (1).jpg

The below image is from Kim's site.

thewildunknown_tarot_d69a061f-b50f-4cd4-83de-ad2bfa188b2e.jpg

So what decks do you use?

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
My first tarot reading was with the Hanson-Roberts, and it remains my favorite to use. I find the artwork to be simple and yet loaded with details that come alive during readings. Plus it fits in my hand nicely :) It's likely familiar to many (click photo to enlarge):
1406634683799.png

I thought I'd do a quick little reading for the Roundtable, just a peek into how it is now and where it's going, energetically. Here are the cards I drew:

IMG_0206.JPG

The first, Eight of Rods, represents a massive influx of energy and information and pretty accurately describes what most of us are experiencing in the early days of getting to know our way around, as well as the love that's pouring in! The next card, King of Swords, represents the energy that's becoming manifest now, as the group coalesces and grows. Swords being intellect, we are getting sharper in creating community, but also, all that we share here is going to be as a knife cutting through ignorance. The third card is another power card, King of Pentacles, and shows how the group matures and settles. Wise leadership resulting in a treasure we all share. This is a bit of past-present-future. Then I pulled one to show the over-arching "personality" of the group as a whole: Six of Rods. Again, a sense of leadership, clarity, awareness moving forward, the energy of the early days of the forum's formation having lanced the wreath of achievement of wisdom... not that we rest on our laurels, but that the life of the forum carries wisdom forward. Laron, I see you keeping your eyes high and your vision sharp as your moderators carry the energy along and the bright life of the community shines. Finally, I have a habit of looking at the card on the bottom of the deck after the reading, as there's always a secret message there, a whisper after the reading's done. Here, I found the King of Cups, total satisfaction and abundance and enjoyment, clear skies, peace, and integration of many elements into a fulfilling experience.

That was fun! A pretty majestic spread, hey?

Here are a couple of books I found really helpful in the days when I was really into doing readings via tarot. The one on the left is literally falling apart, it just exploded with information :p The one on the right is full of creative and interesting spreads.

IMG_0207.JPG

Bill

The magic has always been within you.
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 21, 2016
From Kansas, living in Texas
My first tarot reading was with the Hanson-Roberts, and it remains my favorite to use. I find the artwork to be simple and yet loaded with details that come alive during readings. Plus it fits in my hand nicely :) It's likely familiar to many (click photo to enlarge):
View attachment 383

I thought I'd do a quick little reading for the Roundtable, just a peek into how it is now and where it's going, energetically. Here are the cards I drew:

View attachment 384

The first, Eight of Rods, represents a massive influx of energy and information and pretty accurately describes what most of us are experiencing in the early days of getting to know our way around, as well as the love that's pouring in! The next card, King of Swords, represents the energy that's becoming manifest now, as the group coalesces and grows. Swords being intellect, we are getting sharper in creating community, but also, all that we share here is going to be as a knife cutting through ignorance. The third card is another power card, King of Pentacles, and shows how the group matures and settles. Wise leadership resulting in a treasure we all share. This is a bit of past-present-future. Then I pulled one to show the over-arching "personality" of the group as a whole: Six of Rods. Again, a sense of leadership, clarity, awareness moving forward, the energy of the early days of the forum's formation having lanced the wreath of achievement of wisdom... not that we rest on our laurels, but that the life of the forum carries wisdom forward. Laron, I see you keeping your eyes high and your vision sharp as your moderators carry the energy along and the bright life of the community shines. Finally, I have a habit of looking at the card on the bottom of the deck after the reading, as there's always a secret message there, a whisper after the reading's done. Here, I found the King of Cups, total satisfaction and abundance and enjoyment, clear skies, peace, and integration of many elements into a fulfilling experience.

That was fun! A pretty majestic spread, hey?

Here are a couple of books I found really helpful in the days when I was really into doing readings via tarot. The one on the left is literally falling apart, it just exploded with information :p The one on the right is full of creative and interesting spreads.

View attachment 385
Love the reading! I've yet to learn or use Tarot....but it's on my list of things to learn. Any recommended starter materials?

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Bill, I personally learned a lot from that book on the left. It has a well-written introduction, followed by clearly laid-out explanations of each of the cards. A good starting point, but by no means exhaustive.

Of the 72 cards, there are 4 suits just as you have in playing cards, plus a set of archetype cards called Major Arcana. Those are considered to be more portentous in a reading, have a bit more impact, like a sign to really pay attention to. The suits are Rods (roughly equivalent to energy), Swords (intellect), Cups (emotion), and Pentacles (wealth/activity). They correspond to clubs, spades, hearts, and diamonds in a playing deck. In each suit, just as in a playing deck, you have numbers from ace to 10, then Page, Knight, Queen, and King. Ace is potential and King is fulfillment of the energy each suit represents. Every set of cards has its own symbology, but there are some that are generally across the board in many styles or designs. The one I show above is derived from the classic Rider-Waite deck, and many others follow the symbols and archetypes that one so masterfully embodies. I love how eloquently the symbols and ancient reverberations of the cards can be translated from one deck style to another! The ones Laron posts above show that clearly.

I think I've learned more from the cards themselves than I've learned from any outside source.

Bill

Retired Global Moderator
Jul 21, 2016
Bill, I personally learned a lot from that book on the left. It has a well-written introduction, followed by clearly laid-out explanations of each of the cards. A good starting point, but by no means exhaustive.

Of the 72 cards, there are 4 suits just as you have in playing cards, plus a set of archetype cards called Major Arcana. Those are considered to be more portentous in a reading, have a bit more impact, like a sign to really pay attention to. The suits are Rods (roughly equivalent to energy), Swords (intellect), Cups (emotion), and Pentacles (wealth/activity). They correspond to clubs, spades, hearts, and diamonds in a playing deck. In each suit, just as in a playing deck, you have numbers from ace to 10, then Page, Knight, Queen, and King. Ace is potential and King is fulfillment of the energy each suit represents. Every set of cards has its own symbology, but there are some that are generally across the board in many styles or designs. The one I show above is derived from the classic Rider-Waite deck, and many others follow the symbols and archetypes that one so masterfully embodies. I love how eloquently the symbols and ancient reverberations of the cards can be translated from one deck style to another! The ones Laron posts above show that clearly.

I think I've learned more from the cards themselves than I've learned from any outside source.
Thank you Maryann! A few months back I had ordered a deck that was mainly out of print but still available from a specialty supplier. My QHHT practitioner had suggested it. After several weeks the supplier came back and said they could not fulfill the order. That put me off a bit and made me wonder if it was not the right time for me. Sooo...have to get back to acquiring a deck that resonates with me...more research to get one that feels right for me.

Reactions: Laron and Maryann

Lilia

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2016
Vayuna, via Switzerland
i started kind of collecting tarot decks this year, i am so fascinated by them, and they come with such intriguing artwork... the wild unknown is actually still on my wishlist, a book ordering i use says it's going to be available again in 4 months.
just a few weeks ago i bought two very nice decks and fell in love with one of them instantly, even though it follows the Rider-Waite line with the court cards (i resonate more with the thoth interpretation of knight, queen, prince and princess or father, mother, son and daughter): the Mary-el Tarot. here are some of the cards (randomly picked):
IMG_20160812_210600.jpg
i love the artwork in it and i think with a little more of working with it it might actually become my primarily used one.
(haha in the upper right corner you can see the sketches and scribbles for my own deck design ;) )
the other one i acquired too is charming and sweet, but it doesnt speak to me like the Mary-El does. its really cute, the Chrysalis Tarot:

IMG_20160812_210705.jpg
and the following is the one i get great results with, it is the Vision Quest Tarot (german edition), it follows a more lovingly put version of the Thoth in the numbering and naming of the cards designed in a line that plays with native american motifs and symbolism:

IMG_20160812_210826.jpg

i started my path to Tarot with the Crowley's Thoth Tarot, i find this very intriguing for understanding, but in readings it is just too cryptical and harsh for me and leaves out very important aspects of the card's meanings.
i have ordered one more this week, it should arrive next week and i'll make sure to post some pictures of the Wildwood Tarot then :)

OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
My first tarot reading was with the Hanson-Roberts
That deck reminds me of the Roundtable! That was a great reading and thanks for sharing the tarot books. I liked hearing about your habit of the bottom card. I have a habit or two that I was not trained to use when doing readings and I think of this as something very intuitive around our personal styles and what works for us.

Any recommended starter materials?
Here are a couple of my tarot books. I haven't read the second one but the person that got it for me is a frequent reader of the cards.

I have done a couple of courses on tarot, otherwise I am self taught. The actual books that come with tarot decks can be very educational as well. But I think the most important thing to learn is that there are a few different ways of reading the cards and you will gravitate towards which feels right for you, so there is no wrong way.

tarot5.jpg
tarot2.jpg

Sooo...have to get back to acquiring a deck that resonates with me...more research to get one that feels right for me.
Hopefully you will get some additional ideas based on everyone sharing their decks!

i started kind of collecting tarot decks this year, i am
I loved seeing the three different decks there!

What I have found is that tarot is very much connected into my higher self, in terms of the cards that come up and how accurate they are. They will show what I need to know at the time, and sometimes that may not make prefect sense, but, if I let some time pass and revisit the cards that came up, they are very likely to make perfect sense. Sometimes you just cant understand something until you have experienced it!

Lilia

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2016
Vayuna, via Switzerland
A few months back I had ordered a deck that was mainly out of print but still available from a specialty supplier. My QHHT practitioner had suggested it. After several weeks the supplier came back and said they could not fulfill the order. That put me off a bit and made me wonder if it was not the right time for me. Sooo...have to get back to acquiring a deck that resonates with me...more research to get one that feels right for me.
maybe this particular deck not being available was indeed a nudge to go get your own resonant one...
there is a site they write reviews on different tarot decks and include sample images of the decks. if none of the mentioned in this thread are "the one", maybe by going through them and looking at the images one will speak to you... most decks you can order online too nowadays, on amazon or bookdepository or so. what i would recommend is, to get a tarot deck including an accompanying book or booklet to get you started, as often the artist of the deck will state their perception of the meaning of a card in there that applies specifically to their deck and that gives you something to work with and to train your intuition to understand the concepts and symbolism. i too found it helpful to meditate on the meaning of each card to "get" the deeper meaning independent of the particular deck. heres the link to the review page: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/
there is also a section with different book reviews of tarot books.

What I have found is that tarot is very much connected into my higher self, in terms of the cards that come up and how accurate they are. They will show what I need to know at the time, and sometimes that may not make prefect sense, but, if I let some time pass and revisit the cards that came up, they are very likely to make perfect sense. Sometimes you just cant understand something until you have experienced it!
i loved that passage Laron! like you speaking from my heart too! and ... sometimes you think you understand a reading and it makes perfect sense and touches you totally on every level and still life can surprise you with even more depth to the meaning too ;)

Bill

Retired Global Moderator
Jul 21, 2016
maybe this particular deck not being available was indeed a nudge to go get your own resonant one...
there is a site they write reviews on different tarot decks and include sample images of the decks. if none of the mentioned in this thread are "the one", maybe by going through them and looking at the images one will speak to you... most decks you can order online too nowadays, on amazon or bookdepository or so. what i would recommend is, to get a tarot deck including an accompanying book or booklet to get you started, as often the artist of the deck will state their perception of the meaning of a card in there that applies specifically to their deck and that gives you something to work with and to train your intuition to understand the concepts and symbolism. i too found it helpful to meditate on the meaning of each card to "get" the deeper meaning independent of the particular deck. heres the link to the review page: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/
there is also a section with different book reviews of tarot books.

i loved that passage Laron! like you speaking from my heart too! and ... sometimes you think you understand a reading and it makes perfect sense and touches you totally on every level and still life can surprise you with even more depth to the meaning too ;)
Thank you Lilia....for the link on card reviews...and for the loving energy you shared! I'll check out the link and will eventually post here what deck(s?) I settle on.

Reactions: Lila and Lilia
OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
View attachment 414
I love the Rider Waite tarot. They are full of symbols and I find them easy to read. In fact, it's funny that I saw this thread because I just read my cards!
I think it's important to own that deck since it was one of the original western world decks that many others are based upon! It was the first tarot deck I touched, I just never had my own copy. The history of where tarot comes from is fascinating. We should have a sticky thread on the topic one day on this board.

The earliest known tarot decks weren’t designed with mysticism in mind; they were actually meant for playing a game similar to modern-day bridge.

tr.jpg

Above are trump cards from the Tarrocchini Bolognese designed by Giuseppe Maria Mitelli, circa 1664.

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
I hope I'm doing this right, not used to the forum yet. I started with Rider Waite, went on the the Aquarius deck, now The Enchanted Tarot which I love but I'm looking for a new deck. I really like Doreen Virtue, my granddaughter has her Angel deck, beautiful cards. I will take my time and see what turn up.

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
image.jpeg

Years ago I read Patricia Cori's Sirian Revelation trilogy and I loved those channeled books. I absolutely knew, without doubt, that she was bringing in authentic and valuable information. Then a few years ago she came out with her own Tarot deck. She claimed to have channeled the art for the cards from the Sirians. I was so excited to order Cori's cards and I was so disappointed when I received them. The art is beautiful but all the symbols that help to read the Tarot are gone in this set. Some of the suits are recognizable but even a few of the suits were changed. Without the proper suits and symbols they are impossible to read for me. In addition, they are giant sized cards and hard to shuffle.

I've purchased many beautiful decks and I always go back to the standard Rider Waite Tarot. I need the symbols on the cards that so many decks are devoid of. I have a drawer full of beautiful decks that do not speak to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

severed.lies

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 27, 2016
Pacific NW
I have many decks, but I always return to the Voyager Deck, by Dr. James Wanless. The illustrations, by Ken Knutson, are overloaded with symbolism pertaining to the meaning of the card, and you can focus on one particular symbol, or the grouping of symbols. I cannot explain this well, but the picture below is an example. I tried to take pictures this evening, but they were a mess, so I raided the internet.

three_worlds_voyager_lg.jpg

I have the 1998 deck, but there have been a few updates. It seems as though the cards have not been changed. One other note; I do not remember these cards unless I draw the same one in a short time span. All other decks seem to blend together in my mind.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I have Rider Waite but never use it. I love to go to my old, battered Rajneesh Neo-Tarot pack for intuitive readings or card pulls. Here is today's card pull: Self Acceptance. Each card is accompanied by a little story or quote from Osho from one of his many discourses. For this card, it starts: "You can be no one but who you are. So relax! Existence needs you as you are." It goes on to relate a story he has heard about a king who went into his garden and found wilted and dying trees, shrubs and flowers. The oak said it was dying because it could not be tall like the pine. Turning to the pine, he found it drooping because it was unable to bear grapes like the vine. And the vine was dying because it could not blossom like the rose. Then he found one plant, hearts-ease, blooming and as fresh as ever. Upon inquiry, he received this reply: "I took it for granted that when you planted me you wanted hearts-ease. If you had desired an oak, a vine or a rose, you would have planted them. So I thought, since I can be nothing but what I am, I shall try to be that to the best of my ability". And it goes on to give Osho's insight on this story.

2016-08-15 12.45.45.jpg

I also sometimes pull a card from Caroline Myss and Peter Ochiogrosso's Healing Cards pack, also for spiritual guidance and reminder of balance.

Lilia

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2016
Vayuna, via Switzerland
so :D now i made a photo of the Wildwood Tarot by Mark Ryan and John Matthews. i bet this is something for you
Ben !
It has a totally new approach to Tarot, different than all other decks. it doesnt really refer to the Raider-Waite nor to the Thoth, it does instead play with fitting the cards of the major Arcana into a druidic medicine wheel and relates much to the solstices and equinoxes and the celebrations in between. but through all these changes it still is a Tarot and the Wanderer (this deck's interpretation of the Fool) has his journey with all the Tarot symbolism nonetheless.
additionally, it is really beautiful :)

IMG_20160824_100013.jpg

Kelly Palmer

Involved Wayfarer
Retired Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
I think it's important to own that deck since it was one of the original western world decks that many others are based upon! It was the first tarot deck I touched, I just never had my own copy. The history of where tarot comes from is fascinating. We should have a sticky thread on the topic one day on this board.

The earliest known tarot decks weren’t designed with mysticism in mind; they were actually meant for playing a game similar to modern-day bridge.

Above are trump cards from the Tarrocchini Bolognese designed by Giuseppe Maria Mitelli, circa 1664.
Thanks for that information Laron. I never knew the first use of Tarot decks were for playing a game with!

Reactions: Laron

Jenny

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
I've had the Gilded Tarot for a few years, but frankly I'm not very good at interpreting them so have always had to use the accompanying book! The vibrant colours attracted me to them.

This thread, and the beautiful cards that people have, has re-ignited my interest in them so thank you all for that! :-D

Gilded Tarot.jpg Gilded Tarot book.jpg

Reactions: Lila and Laron

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
I'm only now seeing this thread, but I thought I would add my 2 cents lol. I have a lot of decks (I collect decks I am drawn to-whether for the artwork, theme, "feeling" etc) but there are a couple I have felt more connected to than others, and I have a LONG list of wanted decks too lol. Those ones that you posted are actually up there on that list Laron, as are some of the others that have been shared on this post :-))

I have to say, the Mythic Tarot was not the first deck I owned but it was the first one I really connected with that also helped me give scarily accurate readings/predictions-so much so that I initially put them away after being made to second guess myself by someone else. I was later proven right though and it renewed my confidence so I slowly started using them again. It is my "go-to" deck if I don't know which one to use...

OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I think it's a really good idea starting with one of the first pioneering western world decks and then expanding out if one feels like exploring new creations. I see it as a solid foundation to build upon.

Rebecca

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Australia
www.awakenedstarguide.com
20161027_122220-1.jpg 20161027_122013-1.jpg Oooh I love reading this thread, I have only just recently been practicing using tarot cards, I have many angel Oracle decks that I started off with but when looking into my first tarot deck I found I was drawn to The housewives tarot, I loved the old fashioned look, I also used this little tarot book to start off with but I do find I mainly read more intuitively than relying on guidebooks <3:)

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
My husband has the rider- waite deck.

20161026_203707.jpg

I have the sun and moon tarot deck by vanessa decort. i really liked the artwork. (I picked out some random ones to show here) . and i have two books: 'learning the tarot' by Joan bunning (that Maryann posted in the thread) and one called 'the tarot revealed' by paul fenton-smith.
Both are very helpful. 'learning the tarot' has more of an outline feel, and 'the tarot revealed' more of a filled out description.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)