What are you reading? Share your cover! (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Reactions: Laron

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I gifted myself with these little books which are a boon to any bookshelf, and ones which I will dip into again and again. Being the "Book Lady" down at the Op Shop, I get to see what gets donated first, and can therefore buy it up (heh, heh).

Dharma_by Annie Besant_Theosophical Society.JPG

Irish Poems_Collection.JPG

Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.JPG

This book of Rubaiyat is illustrated in magical Middle Eastern-flavoured prints and paintings by an artist called Andrew Peno. Here is an example:

Illustration from Rubaiyat.JPG

• Love this post!
  • Magical
Reactions: Laron and Angela

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan

OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Christmas whooped my butt time wise with so many different things. I was knitting a sizable afghan as a gift and it took me down to the wire. Lots of late nights knitting, so I had a lot of projects on hold. Including reading.
This is one I had from the library and just barely started into, but it seemed fascinating so here I go back into it.

15774096030191586257165.jpg
15774096364301739023863.jpg

We bought this book for my son. Haven't read it yet, perhaps tonight. Hehe

157740969436032516146.jpg157740976935055114856.jpg
Hehehe

• Intriguing Post
  • Winner
Reactions: Snowmelt and Laron

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Christmas whooped my butt time wise with so many different things. I was knitting a sizable afghan as a gift and it took me down to the wire. Lots of late nights knitting, so I had a lot of projects on hold. Including reading.
This is one I had from the library and just barely started into, but it seemed fascinating so here I go back into it.

View attachment 8810
View attachment 8811

We bought this book for my son. Haven't read it yet, perhaps tonight. Hehe

View attachment 8812View attachment 8813
Hehehe
About the knitting.... I am knitting a halter neck top for my daughter out of 100% cotton. Not finished yet!! Let's just call it a present, and not put the word Christmas in front of it!!

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
About the knitting.... I am knitting a halter neck top for my daughter out of 100% cotton. Not finished yet!! Let's just call it a present, and not put the word Christmas in front of it!!
Technically this afghan was for LAST Christmas!! Haha. It's the giving that's important, not the time. Haha

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
That's so nice you know how to knit something useful. Not many people know how to do that these days.

And there's a great Shackleton documentary on Youtube I saw last year. I think the documentary was more about someone finding some bodies and an old camp, trying to figure out how they died. They probably died from lead poisoning on a new fangled food product, canned food!

• I agree
Reactions: Snowmelt and Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
And there's a great Shackleton documentary on Youtube I saw last year. I think the documentary was more about someone finding some bodies and an old camp, trying to figure out how they died. They probably died from lead poisoning on a new fangled food product, canned food!
I just finished the book and WOWZA. What a good book. I read 2/3s of it in about a day. While there were some camps left in a few places, all of the crew survived. So I'm unsure what they would've been speculating. I can't get over how unbelievable it is that they made it, given their ridiculously restricted diet, sleep, and the insurmountable stress and trials they went through. Hats off to the crew.

And that the story was so well preserved and presented. The author, Alfred Lansing interviewed many of the men and used a bunch of diaries from the crew to try to create the picture as real to life, not exaggerated... Not filled with speculation and emotional upheaval. Just the story in as real a way as he could.
Highly recommend.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
15786096900171251847776.jpg

Just started into this. I got it from the library and I have a feeling others will have it on hold, so I need to work through it quick. I'm excited to see what all the hubbub is about. I don't really know anything about the story, (like, at all,) which is the way I like it when getting into a new book. It'll be fun to see how this is such a forerunner in the science fiction arena.

I had to stop reading 'The Idiot' by Dostoyevsky because of it. I started that one back in college but I wasn't a very good reader at the time. (I didn't care for reading when I was younger and had a difficult time with reading comprehension in school. So much so that, in elementary school, they wanted to put me in remedial reading, which my mom wouldn't have.) Now it reads like a classic, and I'm enjoying it. As I do most classics.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
View attachment 8972

Just started into this. I got it from the library and I have a feeling others will have it on hold, so I need to work through it quick. I'm excited to see what all the hubbub is about. I don't really know anything about the story, (like, at all,) which is the way I like it when getting into a new book. It'll be fun to see how this is such a forerunner in the science fiction arena.

I had to stop reading 'The Idiot' by Dostoyevsky because of it. I started that one back in college but I wasn't a very good reader at the time. (I didn't care for reading when I was younger and had a difficult time with reading comprehension in school. So much so that, in elementary school, they wanted to put me in remedial reading, which my mom wouldn't have.) Now it reads like a classic, and I'm enjoying it. As I do most classics.
What a fabulous idea for a good title to read. I must try and get a hold of it from my own local library.

• I agree
Reactions: Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Finished 'Dune'. Great book. I'm excited for my husband to read it so I can discuss it with him. Hehe
This is my next go:
1582317266847324627226.jpg
I'm liking it so far, even though some of the ideas feel rather dated. I've read some short stories by Asimov and I really enjoyed them. And this is such light reading after Dune. Heheh

• Cool Post
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Laron and Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Ah, Foundation and Dune; classics :cool:
As you day, dated classics in some senses, but classics because of the parts which have no expiry date.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Finished foundation. I have the book 'Ender's Game' on hold, as a suggestion from a friend.
So I'm going through these real quick. (Very obviously on a science fiction kick.)

20200229_135335.jpg

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Never read Ender's Game but am interested in it, having had it recommended. Please share your thoughts on it when you do read it!

Tristan

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Apr 28, 2017
It's been a while since I've found a book I resonate with let alone to pick up and read.
My brain has trouble absorbing information from books so I figured it's time to activate and stimulate those parts. I'm only on the first chapter however it's interesting never the less.

Attachments

• Cool Post
Reactions: Lila and Kiera

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Never read Ender's Game but am interested in it, having had it recommended. Please share your thoughts on it when you do read it!
Ender's Game is, IMO, a masterfully written book. Kids playing games that are not so much games and lots of 'out there' experiences.
The movie, of course, left some of that more 'out there' fun stuff out.

• Thank you!
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Maryann and Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I just finished it tonight. I'm still kind of processing it, but in all, i have to say I didn't really care for it.
It was an okay book, written well enough. But i found the characters relatively flat and they didn't develop, really. I couldn't at all suspend my disbelief that they were extremely young children. And I found the themes very harsh. It's hard for me to believe it's rated teen when if a movie did this book accurately, it would be rated R.

I didn't feel like the book had enough hope, either. I'll try not to spoil it if you will read it, but it just felt like one heavy chapter after the other, which made it seem that much less likely to be about children.

The ending was fine and I kind of saw it coming, without knowing what the book was about. But I don't get what all the hubbub was apparently about.

Anyway. I'll stop there.

• Helpful Post
  • Intriguing Post
Reactions: Lila and Linda

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Thanks, Angela, that's so helpful. Doesn't sound like the kind of thing I'd recommend to my son, who's having a blast with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at the moment.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks, Angela, that's so helpful. Doesn't sound like the kind of thing I'd recommend to my son, who's having a blast with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at the moment.
It is definitely very different from Hitchhiker's. Heh. I've read that as well. Much more fun and light hearted. That one is actually my husband's favorite book.

• I agree
Reactions: Lila

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
It is definitely very different from Hitchhiker's. Heh. I've read that as well. Much more fun and light hearted. That one is actually my husband's favorite book.
Did not read Ender's Game but saw the movie. Troubling is a good word for it. I really don't see it as a kid's film - sounds like the book is not much different.

Hitchhiker - now there is a fun one, and the source of so many inside jokes about towels and 42.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I read 5 novels in a compendium from the one author - Wilbur Smith - and these are not about spirituality topics, but description and fiction masterfully written. 3D world in effect, but if you like well written literature - a pleasure to read.

They were: The Eagle in the Sky; Gold Mine; The Diamond Hunters; Shout at the Devil and When the Lion Feeds.

This author is so prolific, I wonder if the rest of his works can be as good. But I wasn't let down with the first five novel-length offerings.

• Love this post!

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
My aunt lent me these books years and years ago and I haven't read them yet because I don't like reading the same author for book after book. However, it's been a long time of just holding on to these and I wish eventually to give them back and well... There's TIME.
15879367573248462990047857303966.jpg

Garrison Keillor was a radio personality i grew up listening to on Saturday nights. He owned a radio show called "Prairie Home Companion". There was drama and "News from Lake Wobegone" (with fun fake commercials) and live musicians he brought on.
He was immensely fun with a very large penchant for story telling.
I got to see him live as well, with my aunt some 8 or so years ago.
I highly suggest listening to a couple of his shows because they are very entertaining. And if you feel like laughing, look up his joke show episode.

He recently retired, in 2016 (also following some sexual misconduct allegations, apparently. I think i heard about it but it still feels like fresh news. It's hard to believe he would do such things but, I'm not in any place to say one way or the other.) I believe he also had a stroke around that time?
Mandolinist, Chris Thile took over.

He signed a couple of her books though. Here's one of them :
15879376734204248230871876451310.jpg

He's an exceptional literary man, and we actually bought a while ago a poem book with a collection he put together. I've found it a very good compilation. I believe he's where I first heard of Billy Collins.
15879377802708955550842139343001.jpg

Anyway. I'm going to try to knock out a couple of these.

Last edited:

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
My aunt lent me these books years and years ago
I listened to the radio program, Prairie Home Companion, and imagine the books have the same kind of humor. One story I recall was when unexpected guests came to dinner, his mom said "FHB", which meant "family hold back" so there would be enough for everyone. I think you will enjoy his observational humor.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I listened to the radio program, Prairie Home Companion, and imagine the books have the same kind of humor. One story I recall was when unexpected guests came to dinner, his mom said "FHB", which meant "family hold back" so there would be enough for everyone. I think you will enjoy his observational humor.
Oh I know I will. The reason my aunt sent these books to me is because I had told her that I just read one of his new releases. Haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)