Want to be a Monarch butterfly wrangler (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Monarch butterflies have been a big part of our lives in Texas. They come together in large numbers in central Texas, as they migrate to Mexico from the US. People around here have taken many steps, both individually and citywide, to increase their habitat and food sources.

A neighbor shared this link to a program. The title is funny because most people around here think of wranglers as ones who care for cattle and horses.

I had a very special Monarch moment a few years ago. I was out for a walk, when I saw a large bush move as if it was breathing. Thought I was having a "religious experience" for a second, and as I got closer, I saw that it was covered by hundreds of Monarchs. As they moved their wings, it looked as though the bush was moving.

You too can become a Monarch wrangler.

http://texanbynature.org/programs/monarch-wrangler/

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
You too can become a Monarch wrangler.
I think they would find Scotland a little chilly, but I was a Monarch Wrangler when I lived in Fiji.

I used to grow Milkweed to attract them, beautiful banded caterpillars white, yellow and black.

One year we had early hurricane warnings so I pulled up all the plants and put them in my playroom in buckets of water. Over the next few weeks, the curtains, pictures, everything became adorned with the hanging chrysalises of these changing magical Beings. For days I watched them all hatch, pump and go.

So, yes, I love them. I guess I am more of a "wrangling"

Thanks Linda.

Attachments

Don Hicks

Involved Wayfarer
Mar 19, 2017
Virginia
www.facebook.com
I allow the milkweed to grow in my garden to attract them. I've even gone as far as hoeing and entire row rather than tilling it because there was milkweed growing in the middle of the row and I didn't want to damage it.

I don't think there's ever a time in my life when seeing a butterfly didn't bring me to the present moment and forget my egoic worries as I watched the butterfly flit by. They are truly magical. It's hard to see one and not smile. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)