US Senate Approves Bill to Make Daylight Savings Time Permanent (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
As Marco Rubio said - the time has finally come for this measure. It is scheduled to begin in 2023, and the next step is for the House to approve, then the resident to sign. While there is bi-partisan support for the bill, the outcome is unknown, because in my opinion DC is the last stop on the train to crazy town.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer's office tells NPR that there are no immediate plans to vote on daylight saving time, but notes the House Committee on Energy and Commerce had a hearing on it last week and there's bipartisan support for it.
Daylight saving time currently makes up roughly eight months of the year, with the remainder counterintuitively called standard time.
Daylight saving time began as a bid to pack more hours of sunlight into the day during the summer months and cut down on energy use, though critics question how effective it's been toward that goal.

Now the best reporting on the issue has come from the Babylon Bee (a satire news site), who notes that AOC is opposed because people already consume too much sunlight. I love these people - my kind of humor.

WASHINGTON, D.C—The Senate has passed legislation that would make daylight savings time permanent. This decision has garnered bipartisan support but has run into a slight hiccup as congresswoman AOC has objected, stating we must continue to set our clocks twice a year.
"I for one am in favor of saving sunshine, not letting it go to waste, by selfishly consuming it all the time." said congresswoman AOC. "Setting our clocks twice a year is a small price to pay to ensure we never run out of our sunshine supply."
"These Senators are too lazy to be mildly inconvenienced to change their clocks and use up less sunlight in certain months." continued AOC. "In fact, I propose we should be setting our clocks even MORE to conserve sunlight."
AOC's fellow Congress members tried to explain to her that our Sun has 7 billion years of sunshine left and it's literally called the Sunshine Protection Act, but she remained unconvinced. "It's just like leaving my tesla lights on. Whenever I leave them on all night, my battery runs out quicker. And that's exactly what Congress wants to happen with the sun! It's lunacy!"
At publishing time, AOC proposed a revised version of the Green New Deal where Americans conserve sunlight by becoming nocturnal and only using up a maximum of 1 hour of sunlight a day.

Last edited:

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
As Marco Rubio said - the time has finally come for this measure. It is scheduled to begin in 2023, and the next step is for the House to approve, then the resident to sign. While there is bi-partisan support for the bill, the outcome is unknown, because in my opinion DC is the last stop on the train to crazy town.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer's office tells NPR that there are no immediate plans to vote on daylight saving time, but notes the House Committee on Energy and Commerce had a hearing on it last week and there's bipartisan support for it.
Daylight saving time currently makes up roughly eight months of the year, with the remainder counterintuitively called standard time.
Daylight saving time began as a bid to pack more hours of sunlight into the day during the summer months and cut down on energy use, though critics question how effective it's been toward that goal.

Now the best reporting on the issue has come from the Babylon Bee, who notes that AOC is opposed because people already consume too much sunlight. I love these people - my kind of humor.

WASHINGTON, D.C—The Senate has passed legislation that would make daylight savings time permanent. This decision has garnered bipartisan support but has run into a slight hiccup as congresswoman AOC has objected, stating we must continue to set our clocks twice a year.
"I for one am in favor of saving sunshine, not letting it go to waste, by selfishly consuming it all the time." said congresswoman AOC. "Setting our clocks twice a year is a small price to pay to ensure we never run out of our sunshine supply."
"These Senators are too lazy to be mildly inconvenienced to change their clocks and use up less sunlight in certain months." continued AOC. "In fact, I propose we should be setting our clocks even MORE to conserve sunlight."
AOC's fellow Congress members tried to explain to her that our Sun has 7 billion years of sunshine left and it's literally called the Sunshine Protection Act, but she remained unconvinced. "It's just like leaving my tesla lights on. Whenever I leave them on all night, my battery runs out quicker. And that's exactly what Congress wants to happen with the sun! It's lunacy!"
At publishing time, AOC proposed a revised version of the Green New Deal where Americans conserve sunlight by becoming nocturnal and only using up a maximum of 1 hour of sunlight a day.
Do the ruling elite in America not realize a Congress-person might use satire to get across their point?

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Do the ruling elite in America not realize a Congress-person might use satire to get across their point?
Babylon Bee is a satire site, and they were using a member of congress, who is well-known for not understanding complexities, to make their joke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)