UK Supermarkets start rationing items to curb panic buying and introduce elderly and vulnerable shopping hours. (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Toller

Involved Wayfarer
Feb 21, 2018
UK

The country's leading supermarkets are today taking drastic action including rationing and hiring new staff, in a bid to deal with the unprecedented demand for goods amid the coronavirus crisis.

Sainsbury's has announced it is restricting customer purchases to combat panic buying, closing its in-store cafes to free up up its staff and delivery network, and beefing-up online services.

On Tuesday rival Morrisons said it plans to create 3,500 new jobs and expand its home delivery operation to help it deal with coronavirus.

Britain's grocery industry has struggled for over a week to keep shelves stocked in the face of intense panic buying, which worsened on Tuesday despite weekend appeals for calm from supermarket bosses and politicians.

Beleaguered customers at an Asda Walmart in Waterlooville, Hampshire, were queuing outside the door at 6am this morning and within just one hour, shoppers claim shelves were empty as worried households continue to stockpile against government advice.

But experts have asked why supermarkets have introduced different limits on certain goods, creating confusion for customers and competition among rivals.

Aldi on Monday became the first UK grocer to introduce rationing, limiting customers to buying four items of any one product during each visit.

Tesco followed suit by limiting shoppers to five items, Sainsbury's to three items and Asda has introduced a limit of two items.

OP
Toller

Toller

Involved Wayfarer
Feb 21, 2018
UK
Last went to Sainsburys this Monday past, usually quiet on Mondays. This week absolutely heaving with people with large trolleys overflowing with whatever they could get their hands on. Apparently even worse yesterday, hence the new measures being introduced.

Reactions: Pucksterguy

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Went to organic grocery store last Saturday for a few things, and it was not too crowded. They were low on rice and beans, but most things were ok. There was a well-known person there, who had been speaking at a health conference. I did not know her, but a lot of other people did because they came up to her and asked questions. She was giving little speeches all around the store - mostly about taking preventative doses of vitamin C.

I was hoping our main grocery store would start the "elderly" shopping hours. However, they are not because they have curbside pick-up and home delivery shopping services. I've not been in the big grocery store in a couple of weeks; however, my husband says they have toilet paper again but with notices limiting the number.

Our local big grocers started working on their own supply chain several years ago. They negotiate deals with farmers and even fisher people in Alaska for food items, and it sure is paying off now. All the grocery stores have cut back their hours so they restock the shelves overnight.

Now, the one thing I cannot find is alcohol. I made my own little review and checked my findings with 2 medical friends. Alcohol in the 70-80% range is more effective in killing viruses because it can penetrate the little shell membrane. Lower percentages may be ok for some germs but not viruses. On the other hand, formulations in the 90% range are less effective as straight disinfectants because they evaporate so quickly, but they are good for mixing to create sanitizers. The key is to understand the math of percentages.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Seeing various responses where I am Downunder.

Some supermarkets have lots of bare shelves, limits on one item of each category (excepting fresh fruit and veggies which seem to be stocked just fine) while another I went to yesterday was really well stocked in just about everything, though they had a 1 per person limit on TP and a few cleaning items, though not others. I've also heard of stores hiring security people to hand out one set of TP per person, so there's many different responses out there and many variations on how stocking + buying is affected just now.

From others in other locations I am hearing about various responses too to this as well as to new phrases like 'social isolation', 'lockdown', 'shelter in place' which have just come into the vocabulary of most of us.

I've been having a bit of fun with friends coming up with a list of fun, social ways to 'social isolate'. It's becoming rather a long, lovely list, including ideas such as long bike rides, camping, trips to outdoor places or down memory lane, chance to finish tasks at home that have been long-awaited, art projects, study that has been put off, clean ups one always 'wishes I had the time for'. Basically, this. list is made up of a whole lot of things 'I've never had time for', which looks a lot like a gift to me, from one perspective.

I also find that bringing up something like the 'fun list of ways to social isolate' is a fine way to change a conversation from doom and gloom to something more like 'yeah, I'd love to do that and I can now!':-D
I find this a far more fun way to be!<3

Reactions: Toller
OP
Toller

Toller

Involved Wayfarer
Feb 21, 2018
UK
This Monday much quieter, the store even had items on the shelves that haven't been available for two to three weeks such as toilet rolls, biscuits and snacks. Though baked beans are still missing. Currently seeing how long I can make a large tin of beans last, on the second week with one at the moment.

UK govt shut almost everything else down yesterday. I don't think that Boris Johnson is enjoying his role as prime minister, it just doesn't gel with the vision that he had when he came to power.

(Looks as though I've got to let my hair grow long again now as well.)

Oh well, c'est la vie.

• Intriguing Post
Reactions: Lila

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)