Think Dirty - app that checks the ingredients of your beauty and personal care products (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
This app has been getting rave reviews. After hearing a few stories about hormone disruptors and little boys with low testosterone, I thought it was really important to share. While many of us take care with what we put on our skin, I'm sure we know many who do not. I like this technology approach of an app. There are some who don't want to hear me talk about additives and poisons, but they would be willing to use an app. I can pass it along and know my work there is done. ;)

FYI - some lipsticks contain lead - the same stuff that made Queen Elizabeth (first one) so ill. Oops.

https://www.thinkdirtyapp.com

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Brilliant!
Empowerment in an app:-D

I love, too, that they have a 'cleaner options' part to the app.

• I agree
Reactions: Anaeika and Linda

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
  • Jaw Dropping Post
Reactions: Anaeika and Lila
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The above mentioned blog cites the Environmental Working Group as the source.

EWG looks at toxins in all parts of lives and is a good source for info.

https://www.ewg.org

They've gone an extra step and offer labels with EWG Verified, which is something to look for now that we know.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Anaeika

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
People need to know how common lead is in lipstick.
"100 lipsticks contain lead". http://chuckrblog.blogspot.com/2017/03/100s-of-lipsticks-contain-lead.html
Yup, there's a book called "There's Lead in Your Lipstick: Toxins in our Everyday Body Care and Ho to Avoid Them" by Gillian Deacon (others too) that can be a real eye opener to let us know what we are slathering on, carefully applying or meticulously placing into our bodies every day.

The initial realization can be like watching a horror movie in that it can seem like such a huge deal that it's easy to just react rather than acting to do something about it. That is why I love this idea of having the app which you can take with you as you buy or research products so you can decide on the spot. And it has alternatives too!

• Jaw Dropping Post

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Thank you, Linda. I downloaded this app. I have not been wearing make-up bc so much of it is toxic. Why do they put lead in lipstick? Outlawed in paint due to toxicity, but acceptable in lipstick which can be ingested easier. Now that is mind-boggling!

The clean make-ups tend to be really expensive. I like Arbonne. Anyone else recommend a good quality make-up?

Reactions: Linda
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I don't wear much either - mostly because I'm outdoors and it melts away. I do get tinted lip balm from Natural Grocers. Not sure of the brand because that would require getting up to look.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Not sure of the brand because that would require getting up to look.
I started using Burt’s Bees tinted lip balm and like it. Time to use the think dirty app to see how it rates.

• I agree
Reactions: Lila
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The one I use is Mineral Fusion, but I do not know how it rates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)