The official animal of Scotland is the Unicorn. (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
For all you Unicorn lovers....I just found this out. I am amazed.

The official animal of Scotland is the Unicorn. A fictitious creature may seem an odd choice for a country’s national animal, but perhaps not for a country famed for its love for and long history of myth and legend, and the unicorn has been a Scottish heraldic symbol since the 12th century, when it was used on an early form of the Scottish coat of arms by William I.

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/scottish-fact-of-the-week-scotland-s-official-animal-the-unicorn-1-2564399

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
What an amazing story, and I now I know the story behind a sculpture I've had for a very long time. It has a lion and an unicorn peacefully together under a tree. What a cool idea - harmony and might.

During the reign of King James III (1466 - 1488), gold coins were introduced that featured a Unicorn, and at the time of King James VI of Scotland’s succeeding of Elizabeth I of England, and the resulting effective union of the two countries, the Scottish Royal Arms featured two unicorns as shield supporters. In a gesture of unity, King James replaced the one on the left with the English lion.
The symbolism was potent, for the lion and the unicorn had long been painted as enemies, vying for the crown of king of beasts, with the unicorn ruling through harmony and the lion by might.

Reactions: Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I'm so glad you posted this Pod. Unicorns and I go a long way back, so this posting really caught my eye.
I'm so sad that the heraldic unicorns are chained.
I'll let you know when I come visit Scotland and maybe we can go hunting for wild unicorns togetherO.o:D

Reactions: Linda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)