The House in the Night (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I needed a birthday gift for a young child and went to a great local toy store. They have all the toys and books you will not find elsewhere. I usually get a nice toy and book for a gift.

Found the perfect toy, but the book selection was not going so great. There was a beautifully illustrated one about animals going to sleep. I loved it until the page with the snakes. Where we live, there are quite a few poisonous snakes, so this was not a good choice. (We teach healthy respect and identification to our children.)

Found another great one - The Night Train - great story line and illustrations - well, until I looked at some of the smaller ones. One sleeping child was having a nightmare and then this sign along the tracks - Professional Bed Bug Removal - really??? It might be funny to an adult, but not to children. I could see how that would play out.

Then I found it - "The House in the Night", Susan Marie Swanson (author) Beth Krommes (illustrator) 2009 Caldecott winner. Gorgeous line illustrations with a hint of color and a rhythmic story. The edition I got had thick pages for younger hands, although regular pages are available.

Found a youtube video of someone reading it.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Lila and Henda

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
This is like you're giving the child the keys to their own imaginary house in the night. They can make it up how they like.
There is nothing like capturing the imagination of someone, especially a child who will carry the essence of that story with them throughout life. A story like this can continue to influence that life decades and decades down the road.
So beautiful!

• Magical
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Henda and Linda

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
The Dr Seuss books helped me to learn to read in the 1970s. We used them a lot. We had a bunch of them, probably 8 of them at least.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Lila and Linda
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
This book has that same gentle rhythm as does Goodnight Moon - another fan favorite.

• Cool Post
Reactions: Lila

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Enjoyed listening to it. Thank you!

• I agree

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I'll have to check that out.
And I definitely love love giving and getting books for presents! It's always a winner.

This is a bit of a tangent. But It still makes me a little sad. I had wanted to start reading books on YouTube. I had two books uploaded, just of me reading them. A couple people even posted on one of them. But then I started freaking out over the copyright issues it could lead too. I ended up asking the next author if I could do it. She responded sayingif it were her, absolutely, but it has more to do with the publishers decision. I ended up deleting them (and thus losing my only copies) because I was afraid someone would come after me if I good a bunch of them.

• A hug for you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)