The Hidden Side of the Yelp Review Service (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The Yelp review site is big in the US - not sure about other countries. I've used it often and quickly figured out how to sift away the fake glowing and hateful reviews. It is a great way to see what people think about the service and products from a company.

I happened on this article about a restaurant owner's experience with Yelp. Turns out once you start getting 5-star reviews, they want you sign up for (pay for) a premium service. The person in this article did not and found some of his 5-star reviews disappeared.

What to do - what to do? I love his take on the situation. He decided to fight the big guys in an unexpected way. He asked his customers to write a review but use a 1-star rating. Brilliant move because it became quite the joke. "Best pizza ever" 1-star.

It appeals to me because I've often been a work-around person. If you hear me say "Well, fine", then something unexpected is about to happen. Sometimes the unexpected or indirect approach gets the most attention. Going straight on with some business or government types does not always work. I think people are both tired of the abuse and the railing on about it. However, do something clever - now that does catch the attention of people and might even get them involved.

https://thehustle.co/botto-bistro-1-star-yelp/

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I think it's pretty shocking what some companies do to make money based on hidden things like this, which they may mention deep down in their user agreement / terms and conditions that no one reads.

• I agree
Reactions: Lila and therium
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
shocking what some companies do to make money based on hidden things
Pinterest got caught doing something similar. If your post includes some conservative sites, it will appear to the poster but not to anyone else - hidden censoring.

• Jaw Dropping Post
  • Intriguing Post
Reactions: Lila and Laron

Alain

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Aug 29, 2017
Interesting.

But well 10 in 1 million perhaps read the whole thing

• I agree
Reactions: Lila
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Talked to a friend who relies on Yelp for their business - not happy with having to pay to keep the 5 star reviews but scared not to.

• Intriguing Post

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Vimeo just banned Project Veritas, a conservative news network. Vimeo is a video site. More and more people are moving to http://bitchute.com which doesn't censor certain things.

Firefox also banned the Dissent add-on. Dissent allows a user to comment on any website, even those without comments. Since Dissent was being used more by conservatives, it was banned. Will Github start banning programs next?

• Helpful Post

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Ah, I see you are doing what Janne's astrology forecast mentioned; bringing up secrets for our perusal. In this case, secret ways of abuse of media power:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)