The Heritage Tree Branches Out Into Social Media (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
A tree that tweets - gotta love that.

The thing I like is that it personalizes the experience of a tree. It is a 100 years old and says it is one of the oldest living organisms on the internet. It talks about the weather and how it is growing.

I am just an average oak tree, but boy do I take up space! My total surface area (without even including my roots) is 437 square meters -- about 1.25 times as big as an IMAX screen! Thanks to the Schaaf Lab at @EnvSchool for the cool LIDAR selfie that computed these stats.

I think it is a way to help people, especially children take an interest in the world around them.

It is an open account, so you can read it without belonging to Twitter.

https://twitter.com/awitnesstree

• Love this post!
Reactions: June

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Here is a younger picture of me looking out of the bole of a Red Tingle Tree, Eucalyptus jacksonii. Imagine how many critters this has given shelter and a home to, over the decades. It has seen bush fire too (inside where I am standing was black charcoal, the inner part of the tree burnt away. But this type of tree, which is known to be one of the six types of giant trees in our South West of Australia, knows how to survive.

Vedi in Red Tingle Tree_Walpole_SouthWest Australia.jpg

Is it really possible that there are children somewhere in the world who have never been out and touched a living tree? It does seem impossible from my perspective, but I'm prepared to be amazed!

(P.S. I've just seen the face and body shape embodied in the trunk of this tree, which I've never seen looking at this photo before).

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The face on the left side?

What I run into are people that give little thought to trees or plants - maybe more just background scenery. I'm hoping things like this Twitter page help people take a little more interest.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Snowmelt and June

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
Just under Melts face I see a female head with a centre parting in long hair. The head is bowed with an arm up as if to wipe her eyes.
There is a small animal, possibly a dog with long, spaniel type ears, reaching up as if to lick away her tears.

• Divine
Reactions: Snowmelt

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Just under Melts face I see a female head with a centre parting in long hair. The head is bowed with an arm up as if to wipe her eyes.
There is a small animal, possibly a dog with long, spaniel type ears, reaching up as if to lick away her tears.
Yep, that's the one.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
The face on the left side?

What I run into are people that give little thought to trees or plants - maybe more just background scenery. I'm hoping things like this Twitter page help people take a little more interest.
I see a critter on the left side too - looks like an image of a possum to me, it has a face, body and little paws. It's in the darker part of the wood (charcoaled part).

It's true that the internet is a door into wondrous things - when used properly, and I think this tree website certainly is doing that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)