The herbal medicine thread (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Anna

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 1, 2016
I have always been interested in different herbs and the healing effects they have and experienced many great benefits, including psychedelics. The society demands quick solutions as well as for economical reasons with a result where a lot of people are addicted to chemicals with a lot of side effects. I think that using herbal medicines not only when we have become sick but for preventing sickness is important for our well-being and spiritual development.
I started this thread for sharing facts and experiences about different herbal medicine. One of the best medicines I have experienced with so many great effects (except for psychedelics) is Damiana.

Damiana (Turnera diffusa)

Damiana is a wild shrub which grows in Mexico, Central America and West Indies. It reached the western world with the Spanish missionary Jesus Maria de Salvatierra in 1699. The people in Mexico have been using this plants for long time. It´s a herb with many benefits and even though most commonly as an aphrodisiac that can heal the sexual energy, increasing libido in both men and women, natives also used this for a lot of other reasons, which modern herbalism tends to neglect. It is also an excellent anti-spasmodic. In the Mexican folk-healing it is often used for healing pain in menstruation periods as well as headaches, anxiety and depression.

It is very good for the nervous system, tones and relaxes tense nerves and is said to have powers to sweeping out asthma-attacks. It can also be used in cases with urethritis and cystitis. Damiana can also be used in sex-magic and tantric rituals and also it can be useful for meditation as to switch off the inner chatter-box.

You can find Damiana leaves in tea bags and capsules. In high doses it can cause hallucinations so one should be aware of the dosage.

My personal experience of Damiana

I find it interesting to share one´s personal experiences of different herbs as when we read about the effects there can be effects which are not captured because of the culture and popularity and the kind of consciousness related to that.

I came across Damiana when I attended a medicine woman training in Glastonbury and we used it in a shamanic fire ceremony. At that point I really felt it helped to switch off the chatter-box which is mentioned above as a common effect. It deepened the experience of dancing in the fire ceremony and hearing the sounds of nature.

As I had a blockage in the sexual energy for some time and learnt that Damiana could help I decided to smoke it at home. So I bought some in a lovely shop in Glastonbury where they have lots of lovely herbs and oils: https://starchild.co.uk/collections/dried-herbs-organic?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkuDKgrrQ4QIV2KSaCh1G7g17EAAYASAAEgJIFvD_BwE

I smoked about three puffs every night for about a week and a half and had really fast and nice effects. The first night I felt a really nice and calm feeling, feeling really connected with the parts of my body and grounded. I lay down and came into a really nice meditative mood. The first feeling was that the goddess Afrodite was around.

Afrodite is the love goodess in greek mythology. She is said to relate to Venus, the goddess of love, beauty, desire, sex and fertility.

I felt as if I could feel her energy and see her colours in pink and yellow. Then I felt a warm sensation in my heart and a heart opening. I can´t remember in which order, but I had really strong dreams where in two of the most special dreams was when I met two sexual/tantric healers. In the first one It looked like the healer was Balinese as he had one of these typical hats that Balinese healers have. And I was in his room and he made a paste of herbs which was for me to take. In the dream it was as it was enough for me to have the energy of that herbal mix and see it as I did not drink or eat it. But it was as if I could feel something opening in me as I entered this space.

In the other dream I met with another tantric healer and he was doing something which could be felt in the sacral chakra especially but in total a feeling of him restoring something with my chakras. I also spoke to him in the dream thanking him for having healed my blockage.

The third special dream, I met with a crystal child and that was in India. The crystal children are a group of light beings with whom I have met before in the astral as well as when I have been smoking Changa, a form of DMT. They have a strong connection to old ancient Egypt and Atlantis. The times when I met them I met them as adults but this time it was a child but through the look, as they have very special eyes and also Egyptian look I understood it was a chrystal child.

The child spoke to me telepathically saying that they were now coming more and more to help out on earth but they need help to break free in the system in India and make the parents of the strict religious traditions to understand that they are very old souls and they did not come for learning in the old system but to even help the parents and society to raise their old memories of the ancient India which was more consciousness focused and how to grow as a soul but not about religion. They need help how to handle being in low vibrations on earth, how to manage. The child was really looking at me as if she wanted more from me, like there was something more I could do for them.

I should mention that I have a strong connection to India as well and I have been there many times in different parts studying yogic philosophy and meditation.

After some time I felt that a blockage in my heart was healed as before I could feel some pain there when I felt sad or anxious or so but after Damiana I did not feel that, at least not as much as before.

I also felt more grounded, increased sexual lust and feeling of being more connected and aware of what my body is saying. What I felt in this journey was that the sexual blockage was connected to the heart and old memories came up (also from past lifes) related to that and healed. I experienced that it helped me to reflect deeper about lack of trust, grief and emotional pain and how it was connected in this case.

A reflection in relation to what I mentioned in the beginning, about that the information we read might neglect some effects and that can be related to a certain type of consciousness, I think that as Damiana is most of all mentioned as curing sexual diseases/increase sexual performances and stress but not mentioning so much about that it can open our hearts and make us feel more connected with ourselves and the parts of our bodies it´s also responding to a consciousness which more often show the picture about sex as a performance rather than a heartful sharing which can even expand our consciousness if we use the energy in a good way as for example what the tantric philosophy is talking about.

That the dream world can really open is also not something that is commonly mentioned with Damiana and I think that in society a lot more people can relate to stress and sex as a performance rather than heart openings and sex as something which is happening from the heart and not the genitals and the dream world and therefore these parts might be neglected. But then of course, all experiences are individual as well.

Feel free to share your experiences of Damiana or to share info about another herb/preferably something that you have personal experience from.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Brilliant!

Angela , wanted to show you this post with you knowing you are an herbalist.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Anna

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Thanks for the info - I was not familiar with this herb.

• Love this post!

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks for starting a thread on herbals and sharing your own unique experience, Anna. I hope we'll get posts on more herbs, especially some of the lesser known ones like damiana.

A neat synchronicity occurred for me in that I read this post immediately after writing about having Demeter, the ancient Greek goddess of fertility, agriculture, growing things, harvest etc show up for me in this weekend's remote group healing session. I'd just written about how she was an archetype from a time when we were, as a society, much more connected to the earth and that she had, as an archetype, shown up in many cultures at different times under different names. That post was here: https://www.transients.info/roundtable/threads/remote-group-healing-session-weekend-of-april-13-2019.6664/#post-46190

It was heartwarming for me to then read your post about having Aphrodite, goddess of love etc come to your awareness with the damiana herb.

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Thank you for being direct and adult about this. I seem to be very sensitive to negative energy, well all energy, but there's so much negative energy around. Can I eat this damiana in capsule or pill form and get good effects from that too?

As for my experiences, echinacea seems to work well for upper respiratory viruses like colds and the flu (influenza, not stomach flu). As soon as I have symptoms I take 1 capsule twice a day on day 1, then 1 capsule 3 times a day for more days until the symptoms are gone. I take it with a meal to minimize stomach upset. Some people will get an upset stomach if they start with a higher dose right away.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Why did you choose to smoke it over other methods? It is because it is more immediate? Would a tincture be as affective?

One65

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Jul 31, 2018
Canada
This flower-power thread is awesome. A great idea.

During two periods in my life where I was overwhelmed - I looked for "something" to give me a boost that was not from the medical community. I tried St. John's Wort and found that is quite effective if taken regularly and in fairly high doses. It alleviates depression type symptoms and can really brighten your outlook. Sometimes even made me giddy. It can be taken for a long period of time, but you do become somewhat tolerant of its effects after a while. The down side is that your eyes and skin can become a bit sensitive to sunlight. Our German homeopath tells me that the North American version of Wort is quite weak and that in Germany they (medical staff) give it via injection, and it is much more powerful.

I also used Rhodiola to alleviate depression as a loved one was in the late stages of cancer. Amazing stuff, but you can only take it for something like 10 weeks. No side effects that I could identify. I felt alert, I was able to sleep, and I was able to cope... Very helpful.

OP
Anna

Anna

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 1, 2016
Thank you for being direct and adult about this. I seem to be very sensitive to negative energy, well all energy, but there's so much negative energy around. Can I eat this damiana in capsule or pill form and get good effects from that too?

As for my experiences, echinacea seems to work well for upper respiratory viruses like colds and the flu (influenza, not stomach flu). As soon as I have symptoms I take 1 capsule twice a day on day 1, then 1 capsule 3 times a day for more days until the symptoms are gone. I take it with a meal to minimize stomach upset. Some people will get an upset stomach if they start with a higher dose right away.
I cant answer on your question as I did not try to take in pill form or capsule. I have only smoked it as that is what feels best for me and I have not smoked a lot also so i cant say how the effect would be using it long-term in pill-form. I never believed in high doses and i dont believe in using something every day also as for example in the 60`s a lot of people drank lots of herbal tea and they drank so much they got liver problems so I think its the same principle.

• Intriguing Post
Reactions: therium
OP
Anna

Anna

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 1, 2016
Why did you choose to smoke it over other methods? It is because it is more immediate? Would a tincture be as affective?
I like to smoke and I do it like a ritual so it suits for that reason but there is Damiana in tea form too so you could drink it too. I have read its the most common thing to drink it. It feels like it should be more effective with smoking it but I don´t have any facts for that.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Lila
OP
Anna

Anna

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 1, 2016
Thanks for starting a thread on herbals and sharing your own unique experience, Anna. I hope we'll get posts on more herbs, especially some of the lesser known ones like damiana.

A neat synchronicity occurred for me in that I read this post immediately after writing about having Demeter, the ancient Greek goddess of fertility, agriculture, growing things, harvest etc show up for me in this weekend's remote group healing session. I'd just written about how she was an archetype from a time when we were, as a society, much more connected to the earth and that she had, as an archetype, shown up in many cultures at different times under different names. That post was here: https://www.transients.info/roundtable/threads/remote-group-healing-session-weekend-of-april-13-2019.6664/#post-46190

It was heartwarming for me to then read your post about having Aphrodite, goddess of love etc come to your awareness with the damiana herb.
Thats interesting, what you shared about Demeter. It will be my evening reading, thanks Lila:) Damiana and Demeter is a nice combination too!

• Cool Post
OP
Anna

Anna

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 1, 2016
This flower-power thread is awesome. A great idea.

During two periods in my life where I was overwhelmed - I looked for "something" to give me a boost that was not from the medical community. I tried St. John's Wort and found that is quite effective if taken regularly and in fairly high doses. It alleviates depression type symptoms and can really brighten your outlook. Sometimes even made me giddy. It can be taken for a long period of time, but you do become somewhat tolerant of its effects after a while. The down side is that your eyes and skin can become a bit sensitive to sunlight. Our German homeopath tells me that the North American version of Wort is quite weak and that in Germany they (medical staff) give it via injection, and it is much more powerful.

I also used Rhodiola to alleviate depression as a loved one was in the late stages of cancer. Amazing stuff, but you can only take it for something like 10 weeks. No side effects that I could identify. I felt alert, I was able to sleep, and I was able to cope... Very helpful.
Thanks for sharing. I did try both but it was long before and i did not know they give via injection in Germany even if i knew they are a lot more open to alternative medicine compared to Sweden.

One65

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Jul 31, 2018
Canada
Tried the damiana in a tea form for a few days. It certainly has a peaceful effect on me, and also brings the dreams out stronger. I noticed that it also seems to be a "facilitator of emotional clearing". Not really how to describe it other than that. It is almost like a truth serum for the emotions; whatever you are "really" feeling seems to want to come up.

I normally drink valerian tea before bed. It works really, really well as a sleep aid - plus has dream-enhancing characteristics. No side effects. I have found that the effectiveness of it really varies between brands. The best one that I have found so far is made by Celebrations, and easily available on Amazon in North America.

OP
Anna

Anna

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 1, 2016
Tried the damiana in a tea form for a few days. It certainly has a peaceful effect on me, and also brings the dreams out stronger. I noticed that it also seems to be a "facilitator of emotional clearing". Not really how to describe it other than that. It is almost like a truth serum for the emotions; whatever you are "really" feeling seems to want to come up.

I normally drink valerian tea before bed. It works really, really well as a sleep aid - plus has dream-enhancing characteristics. No side effects. I have found that the effectiveness of it really varies between brands. The best one that I have found so far is made by Celebrations, and easily available on Amazon in North America.
I tried valerian too but I did not think about the different brands so thanks for advice! And thanks for sharing about what you experienced with damiana! Interesting that you noticed about the effect with dreams too.

One65

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Jul 31, 2018
Canada
I am really curious to compare the dream-time effects of damiana and valerian. The only damiana I could find was in a blend. I really enjoy it, but suspect that it may not be all that potent. I see now that Celebrations also makes a damiana (only) tea. I will order some of it and see if the potency is stronger.

A side note - I am fairly sensitive energetically. I noticed a change in my vibration after drinking the damiana tea, as opposed to how I feel after the valerian. I felt a bit of a vibrational lift on damiana. I also noticed that my wife's vibe changed as well, and not for the better! It seemed to amplify both our current moods. This is where my "truth serum" comment came from earlier. The valerian has no effect on my/her vibe; it's strongest effect is that it allows you to go to sleep almost immediately after drinking it.

OP
Anna

Anna

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 1, 2016
I am really curious to compare the dream-time effects of damiana and valerian. The only damiana I could find was in a blend. I really enjoy it, but suspect that it may not be all that potent. I see now that Celebrations also makes a damiana (only) tea. I will order some of it and see if the potency is stronger.

A side note - I am fairly sensitive energetically. I noticed a change in my vibration after drinking the damiana tea, as opposed to how I feel after the valerian. I felt a bit of a vibrational lift on damiana. I also noticed that my wife's vibe changed as well, and not for the better! It seemed to amplify both our current moods. This is where my "truth serum" comment came from earlier. The valerian has no effect on my/her vibe; it's strongest effect is that it allows you to go to sleep almost immediately after drinking it.
You can try to smoke it as I find that to be a good effect! I ordered from starchild: https://starchild.co.uk/ I will try to plant this myself this summer.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
How long does it last when you smoke it? I have small children and cannot be impaired in any way.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Linda

Alain

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Aug 29, 2017

those at work say valeriana stinks i find the scent nice even relaxing

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Can either Anna or Angela help out with some suggestions for chronic thrush (candida albicans), affecting the lower end of the body. My daughter needed to have some pretty rough antibiotics as a baby for the first 18 months of life (due to an overgrown ureter at birth, which threatened her kidney). She was under the care of a kidney specialist for the first 10 years of life, but as her body grew the over-sized ureter regained its proper size. Apart from needing to take the antibiotics the only thing she suffered from as a direct result were some kidney stones that had to be surgically removed at age 3.

However, since she can never seem to get rid of the thrush, I think the baby dosage probably did more to kill off her natural, healthy internal environment than we know.

Whenever it flares up, she goes back to the GP and it is often more antibiotics they prescribe (I know!!) This time, she didn't go to the doctor, but was in pain and misery. I bought a book of alternative medicine from the Op Shop which did have some ideas, but not herbal, except for putting a tisane of marigold tea on the affected area, or wearing cultured white yoghurt on a pad. We can't really afford a naturopath, although I think a complete naturopathic regime may be the best answer for her. She may have to allocate some of her casual pay towards this.

• A hug for you
Reactions: Anaeika

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Hailstones Melt ,

i am neither Angela nor Anna, but can provide my 2 cents. A good probiotic is important, good as in the type that is alive and refrigerated. Because Sinera is a naturopath, he may be able to point you in the right direction too.

Also, here is an essential oil answer:

5A30B261-0F2D-43D3-AB91-926DB2E5F91D.png

• Winner
Reactions: Laron

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Can either Anna or Angela help out with some suggestions for chronic thrush (candida albicans), affecting the lower end of the body. My daughter needed to have some pretty rough antibiotics as a baby for the first 18 months of life (due to an overgrown ureter at birth, which threatened her kidney). She was under the care of a kidney specialist for the first 10 years of life, but as her body grew the over-sized ureter regained its proper size. Apart from needing to take the antibiotics the only thing she suffered from as a direct result were some kidney stones that had to be surgically removed at age 3.

However, since she can never seem to get rid of the thrush, I think the baby dosage probably did more to kill off her natural, healthy internal environment than we know.

Whenever it flares up, she goes back to the GP and it is often more antibiotics they prescribe (I know!!) This time, she didn't go to the doctor, but was in pain and misery. I bought a book of alternative medicine from the Op Shop which did have some ideas, but not herbal, except for putting a tisane of marigold tea on the affected area, or wearing cultured white yoghurt on a pad. We can't really afford a naturopath, although I think a complete naturopathic regime may be the best answer for her. She may have to allocate some of her casual pay towards this.
I'm sorry, I'm just now seeing this. You typed the names but they weren't linked to me so I never got a notification.

I've dealt with Candida before, after my son was born. I've dealt with thrush after I broke down and took antibiotics. It was a very difficult decision for me as I was breastfeeding, I was starting into some severe postpartum depression and I was at the start of a massive onslaught of physical illnesses. And the antibiotics didn't really help my issue either. Heh.
Let me think about what I would suggest. Because when I went through it, I had to get a naturopathic doctor and I went through a pretty intense regime including colonics, full strict diet regulations, and a number of herbal and nutritional supplements. I was very mentally unstable because of it all, so it's a bit of a difficult time for me to send my mind back to, to consider it clearly.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I would highly recommend, at least to start, for her to get on a good probiotic if she isn't already taking something. Restoring gut flora is paramount.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Anna and Laron

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Thank you Angela. I know naturopathy is the best way to handle it, but as you say, she will have to be in the mind space to be able to handle the major regime changes needed. (She loves balsamic vinegar, by the way, that will have to go!) Soon she is going on a 3-week trip overseas, when she comes back I want to introduce her into it, then. She will have her Diploma by then, and I am hoping she will have a forward-facing mindset.

Just yesterday I got a very helpful book from the Op Shop: "How to Stay Out of the Doctor's Office" which is an encyclopaedia of naturopathy including A-Z of problems and the kinds of supplements, diet, exercise, needed to combat them, and also why and how Big Pharma blocks these strategies. If he is an American naturopath, I hope he is still alive after being so brave as to write this manual of help for all people. As you can see, even in my dire straits, the book made its way into my hands. (Of course he states you should see a naturopath in person, as amounts etc need to be personally adjusted according to weight, previous antibiotic use, your actual illness circumstances, etc).

• A hug for you
Reactions: Angela and Lila

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
It is possible this could be what starts a little change in her. Sometimes it takes physical things directly related to us to even look at something else. I would perhaps look up the spiritual reason for thrush. If it's recurring, it could be a lesson she has to revisit through her life. I think the dietary stuff I've gone through holds me accountable, in a way.

(Small tangent. I'm reading that plant and fungus totem book and it's talking about how even organisms like Candida or mold have lessons to teach us. I find that a great remembrance that it isn't a kill and destroy attitude we should have with it. But understanding and balance. Candida is a natural part of our gut.)

Balsamic vinegar will have to go. Heh. Foods that are highly acidic will make it worse. As well as stress. Things that are difficult to digest, like pork and beef need to be highly moderated or cut out for a period. Gluten products are all generally acidic. Dairy, obviously. Granted, I went down to the bare minimum. My body was so full of toxins. If she's only dealing with thrush, perhaps her symptoms will clear up easier.

I can look into herbal stuff too, if you're interested. But it sounds like this will be a slower introduction than for someone in this forum. Heheh
How old is she?

• Divine
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Anna and Lila

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
It is possible this could be what starts a little change in her. Sometimes it takes physical things directly related to us to even look at something else. I would perhaps look up the spiritual reason for thrush. If it's recurring, it could be a lesson she has to revisit through her life. I think the dietary stuff I've gone through holds me accountable, in a way.

(Small tangent. I'm reading that plant and fungus totem book and it's talking about how even organisms like Candida or mold have lessons to teach us. I find that a great remembrance that it isn't a kill and destroy attitude we should have with it. But understanding and balance. Candida is a natural part of our gut.)

Balsamic vinegar will have to go. Heh. Foods that are highly acidic will make it worse. As well as stress. Things that are difficult to digest, like pork and beef need to be highly moderated or cut out for a period. Gluten products are all generally acidic. Dairy, obviously. Granted, I went down to the bare minimum. My body was so full of toxins. If she's only dealing with thrush, perhaps her symptoms will clear up easier.

I can look into herbal stuff too, if you're interested. But it sounds like this will be a slower introduction than for someone in this forum. Heheh
How old is she?
I can PM you, Angela, with more details. On a general note, things are looking positive, and I always knew one day she would overcome these dominating and threatening trends of early and late teen-hood, and blossom to be a young adult with a lot of accrued knowledge on some levels.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Anna and Lila

Sarah830

Rambling Companion
Feb 27, 2019

Hi Hailstones Melt, I am always in search for good spiritual, self-help and alternative medicine/health books. Last week I actually bought a book on Candida and Yeast, even though I know very little about Candida. If you are interested I can post it to you. I am in Perth. Just message me with your address. On a different note, may not be hundred percent applicable, but turmeric has a very good antibacterial property. Is it possible to add fresh turmeric on her diet ?

• Insightful Post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)