The gadet that listen to the talk of the brain (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Alain

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Aug 29, 2017
A device created by MIT is beeing able to decipher the signals send by the brain to the muscles in the face.

To communicate by thoughts could soon be no longer science fiction. Searchers of the pretigious Massachuesetts Institue of Technology (MIT) have developed AlterEgo, a device able to decode what the user wants to express. He analysis the signals sent from the brain to the muscles of the face during the process of verbalization.

The portable device deploys sensors distributed over seven areas between the ear, cheek and
the chin.

The signals pass then by techniques of automatic learning to correlate them with defined words.

"AlterEgo can recognize the numbers from 0 to 9 and has a vocabulary of about 100 words" his designer precised, Arnav Kapur. The MIT graduate welcomes for example, a rate of precision of more than 90% with a dictionary - to say the least - 20 words. "But i think we'll may manage complete conversations one day, he added. The system is also equipped with a chip linked to a programm that could interrogate Google. So no voice controls are needed to obtain informations."You talk to him. He speaks to you. But no word is said, "resume Kapur.

AlterEgo promises applications in various fields, like that of the handicap or security. He includes also earphones that work by bone conduction sound, a technology assuring the bearer of the device a listening without beeing tracked by unwanted ears.

So and for fun the google translation to gain time i changed that i gave sense

Communicating through thought
could soon no longer
of science fiction. of the
prestigious researchers
Massachusetts Institute of
Technology (MIT) have developed
AlterEgo, a device
able to decode what
wants to express his bearer. he
analyze the signals sent
from the brain to the muscles of the
face during the process of
verbalization.
The portable device deploys
sensors distributed over seven
areas between the ear, cheek and
the chin. The signals pass
then by techniques
machine learning
to correlate them with words
defined. "AlterEgo can recognize
the numbers from 0 to 9 and
has a vocabulary of about
100 words, "said his
designer, Arnav Kapur. The
MIT graduate welcomes
for example, a pre-
more than 90% with a
lexicon - to say the least -
20 words. "But I think
we'll get to conversations
complete one day ",
He added. The system is also
with a chip connected to a
program that can interrogate
Google. No more so
voice commands for
obtain informations.
"You talk to him. He speaks to you.
But no word is said, "
sume Kapur.
AlterEgo promises applications
in various fields,
like that of the handicap
or security. He understands
also earphones that work
by bone conduction
sound, a technology
assuring the bearer of the device
listening to the ears
indiscreet.

Attachments

Last edited:

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I am curious about this idea because I have some reservations about AI. It is built to allow a person to silently communicate with devices and perhaps others using the same device, without speaking.

This might be good for someone who has had a stroke and cannot speak, which becomes very frustrating for them. However, the videos are showing it as a cool thing with young people demonstrating its use.

So, I'm back in my conundrum - seeing some positives for people with physical problems but concerned that it may end up like an invisible barrier that isolates people from each other.

Thanks for bringing this one to our attention.

I did find some more info about it. https://www.media.mit.edu/projects/alterego/overview/

Reactions: June and Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)