The Definition of a Planet (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techandscience/pluto-should-be-a-planet-astronomers-claim-controversial-demotion-was-based-on-since-disproven-reasoning/ar-BBN67yG?ocid=ientp

Pluto SHOULD be a planet: Astronomers claim controversial demotion was based on 'since-disproven reasoning'
Mark Prigg For Dailymail.com

"More than a decade after it was demoted, the debate over whether Pluto is a planet has been reignited by a new study.

New research from the University of Central Florida in Orlando claims the reason Pluto lost its planet status is 'not valid'. " (click link to read more).

I find this article a good example of scientists moving in circles (is a planet... is not a planet.... is a planet) because they try to impose 3-D physical constraints on everything in the Universe. One day, when they remove their 3-D parameter tinted spectacles, they may be able to envision the universe as alive and peopled with beings: ones that experience existence on more levels than just one dictated by space and time.

The 2006 definition coined by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) is an example of scientific gobbledygook: 'A planet is a sub-stellar mass body that has never undergone nuclear fusion and that has sufficient self-gravitation to assume a spheroidal shape adequately described by a triaxial ellipsoid regardless of its orbital parameters.'

Not surprisingly, this kind of non-speak, or science-speak, is just confusing the issue and blurring the edges.

Reactions: Laron

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Yeah, it's a definition thing. Yawn. Though definitions can be of use.
I'm intrigued that having a moon or a couple of moons wasn't included in the definition.
Pluto's discovery and exploration were certainly responsible for a lot really interesting science and discovery so I personally applaud it for that.

OP
Snowmelt

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Yeah, it's a definition thing. Yawn. Though definitions can be of use.
I'm intrigued that having a moon or a couple of moons wasn't included in the definition.
Pluto's discovery and exploration were certainly responsible for a lot really interesting science and discovery so I personally applaud it for that.
The article goes on to say that the new research might lead to the naming of certain moons in the solar system (such as Saturn's Titan and Jupiter's Europa) as planets.

Reactions: Laron and Lila

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I would take a careful study on what astrologers used in ancient times and see if they included Pluto or not, in terms of their horary charts. The evidence shows the influence and importance of it in modern day astrology so people can give it any label, but if it's acting similar to other planets, then that shows it's a planet, or at least something that does pretty much the same thing as what a planet would.

Reactions: Lila

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I watched part of the "hearing" about Pluto being a planet or not, and it was a shady deal. Somehow a few people with some arbitrary ideas made their own decision that rained down on all of us.

Never underestimate the peoples' ability to respond with humor. There are lots of t-shirts, mugs, etc.

If she does not remember when Pluto was a planet, then she is too young for you.

Being a planet is so mainstream.

Pluto - never forget - 1930-2006

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)