The chinese farmer and maybe (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Anna

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 1, 2016
If judging an event as good or bad less quickly then maybe we could save energy by not reacting emotionally as a consequence or maybe bring out the "true" emotions and get more in tune with the autentic us.

This is a lovely short story by Alan Watts which mirrors why we should be careful when judging an event as good or bad to quickly. I think he manage to bring a nice message in a short clip and besides that in a creative way thats why i think it suited in this thread.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
You are right - we don't have to jump in and label an event.
Take a moment to consider the bigger picture.

Reactions: Stargazer

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Osho also told this same story in his own words, and it can be found in Until You Die, pp 36-40. He uses it to clarify what judgement is. This story comes from the days of Lao Tsu, the mystic who wrote down the Tao Te Ching, around about 6th Century BC. I like Alan Watts' version too - beautifully put.

Osho said that life comes in fragments, and more is never given to you.... "With fragments you will be obsessed, with small things you will jump to conclusions. Once you judge you have stopped growing. Judgment means a stale state of mind. And mind always wants judgment, because to be in process is always hazardous and uncomfortable.

In fact, the journey never ends. One path ends, another begins: one door closes, another opens. You reach a peak; a higher peak is always there. God is an endless journey. Only those who are so courageous that they don't bother about the goal but are content with the journey, content just to live the moment and grow into it, only those are able to walk with the total."

Reactions: Laron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)