The Art of Protection: Amulets (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Krena

Embracing Mystery, Mostly
Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
My earliest amulet was purchased during a cross country trip while I was in college. It was a silver engraved hamsa. It was small and special, but I only learned later after its purchase that it was meant to be my protector. Eventually, someone asked to borrow it, and I let it go, not wanting to be possessive of anything material. It was not a good idea, as I missed it the rest of my life. It must have been even more magical than I realized. I am still connected to it. I can not get it back.

I have since purchased, created, broken and lost amulets. I have several now. I just purchased another two hamsas (one small and one larger one) chosen long distance after an image relay with a friend who was shopping in an antique store in Djibouti. Their origin is a mystery. Maybe Djibouti. Maybe Yemen. Maybe Morocco. I have not yet bonded with these yet. They are on the wall of my study: one is wearable and the other larger one is possible to wear if I want to make a jewelry statement.

The word "amulet" comes from the Latin, amulētum, meaning an object that protects a person from trouble.

Do you wear an amulet? Stories and photos welcome. I will post photos soon.

HAMSA-1.jpg

Last edited:

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
All my life I have never worn anything on my person (well, 95% of the time I think). I have also never had a tattoo or a piercing. I have never had the urge. On occasion I think about why this is the case and last time I did, a long while ago, I had something come to mind that told me that it would make me feel grounded, and connected to not just my physical body, but to Earth, and perhaps I don’t require that because of who I am and where I come from, plus why I am here.

However, I have been gifted with jewelry, and while I don’t wear anything, I still keep those gifts because they have meaning. When I was in Peru I was looking at a stall inside a market in Cusco, and came across a necklace/talisman that I just had to get. I wore it for a while in Peru, but the string broke — lucky I didn’t lose the necklace, but I did lose the string. I mean to replace it, but I have just not got around to doing that. It’s been five years now since that happened. Next year I will return to Peru with our transinets.info group, so perhaps I will sort it out then as I will very likely take the necklace with me.

Here it is below.

amulet.jpg

I can't recall what the stone is but I am sure one of you will recongise it!

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I have different necklaces and pendants that I wear. Sometimes it is for decoration, but sometimes one calls out to me.
A few were my Grandmother's and are very old. The most recent one was a gift - beautiful turquoise from Costa Rica. It feels like butter.

OP
Krena

Krena

Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
Linda, I wear jewelry from my mother and grandmother at all times, but mostly they are inside my clothing. Though I haven't really thought of them as amulets, I think they are, now that I think of it, as they are all about love and connection.

I also wear multiple necklaces, as I create jewelry, and I have been told that I should be wearing those as it is good for marketing. This actually has been true, as people often buy the necklaces that I am wearing.

But underneath all that, there is usually an amulet that I have selected for protection. But when I really go deeper, I realize the necklace is more like the comfort of being with a best friend.

Your new turquoise sounds yummy.

Reactions: Vickie and Linda

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
image.jpeg
I have collected many beautiful crystals and gems over the years and wrapped many of them in silver wire to wear as jewelry. I seem to feel a strong connection to different ones at different times. Just lately I'm feeling good when I wear this beautiful raw ruby necklace and earrings. When I have the necklace on I can't stop touching and rubbing it. It really feels divine in my hand. I have a strong connection to this ruby.

I posted this in another board but since you asked I thought I would post the picture here too.

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
interesting, I never wear jewelry of any nature. Not even a wrist watch.Never saw a reason to. My Mom once gave me a gorgeously simple gold crucifix to wear. I put it on once and it felt like it was choking me. Dunno why.(i would like to know but thats a query for another day) IMO an amulet is different for it's worn for a purpose. Be it protection or whatever. For whatever relevance, thats my 2 cents worthhere.

OP
Krena

Krena

Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
Most men in my life wear no amulets. Nor much of any jewelry other than a watch, school ring or wedding band. My husband has a beautiful and modern hamsa, but he does not feel compelled to wear it. This differs in diverse cultures.

On the other hand, I have rarely seen a woman without adornment.

You are right, Pucksterguy. An amulet is meant to serve a purpose. Wearing jewelry for adornment is another tradition, a very ancient tradition and art, that serves other functions like currency for trading, dowry requirements or subtle communication. For some reason that remains somewhat of a mystery, this adornment tradition goes beyond the realm of merely fashion or the material (as in a status display) and into the arena of self confidence, projecting beauty and announcing the internal spirit of the day.

I will open up an art of adornment thread in the future that should encompass all kinds of adornment.

For some years now, I have observed women choosing and wearing jewelry. My observations are many, but I will list two here. A woman will know exactly what she wants -- what will become hers within seconds -- if she is seeking something special for herself. It is as if the piece of jewelry is something she recognizes is hers before she purchases it: almost like a precognitive knowing. Second, women outgrow jewelry, or they go through phases of what they like (engagement, wedding and inherited items are the exception).

So, take heed, jewelry is always welcome, but beware of surprises: it may be best to wait to see what someone loves and buy it then ... or later for the surprise factor. The gift will always be appreciated: worn and loved is often another story.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
It is as if the piece of jewelry is something she recognizes is hers before she purchases it: almost like a precognitive knowing
You are right about the selection process. I have a son-in-law who is very good at this. My daughter is quite happy and well adorned. He purchased my necklace in Costa Rica - turquoise with a "hippie" touch, which I thought was perfect.

Many years ago, the Methodist Church I attended sponsored a young couple who escaped from the Sudan war. They got away with only the clothes on their backs. The husband was very unhappy that his wife had no jewelry, so two of us gave her necklaces and earrings that we thought she might like. She wore them as a way to say thanks, but I could tell they were not for her.

Lilia

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2016
Vayuna, via Switzerland
to come back to the topic of amulets for protection: a few months ago i used to spend time with people that didnt resonate well with me (they lived in the house where my boyfriend lived and i empath through walls...), and what really helped me was a necklace made of tourmaline that i had previously assigned the meaning of protection energetically. it even protected me against unconscious attacks by his jealous mother. it acted a bit like the "gram" described in the "kingkiller chronicles" by patrick rothfuss, i woke, but wasnt affected. the "job" of protecting is a natural talent of especially the black tourmaline.
now of course the best way to feel safe is to listen to the intuition and choose environments that are in alignment! i broke up with that guy and have learned not to engage with situations that dont feel right for me, that is the best protection.

OP
Krena

Krena

Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
Lilia, you are right on many counts.

Paramount were your actions to extracate yourself from people and a situation that were apparently unhealthy and undesirable for you: something we should all do whenever possible. Intuition rocks!

Now about amulets and stones:

Tourmaline is said to be protective and helped by the energy and programming that we, as owners of Earth's objects, bring to the stones.

I work with many stones, and over the years, there have been experts writing books and jewelry distributors that offer opinions about the nature of gems. I read as much as I can about it, and frankly, I am often skeptical, but pay attention. I find the descriptions of the uses and metaphysical properties of the stones can be lyrical and dreamy. I like that. However, there is more belief than proof, to me. Don't get me wrong, I do like beliefs, but not all. I prefer to believe some things to bring ease and pleasure to my life.

That said, I personally have had a relationship with certain stones that lead me into a "knowing" about them and a partnership that is often pleasantly surprising. My bottom line is that if we are attracted to a stone, we can forge a relationship with it and set an intention for its purpose. I think that we can all agree that intention is the key.

I think that wearing an amulet reminds us of our intentions and our personal power: no small thing. What accounts for me feeling naked if I am not wearing one is a mystery beyond me, beyond words and into the world of feelings whose origins are perhaps best not be mined. It is complicated.

Depending on their material, be it metallic or mineral or gem, amulets have a history with the planet and sometimes an adventure with their discovery and excavation. They are also wearable art, forged with a history of their cultural tradition and their maker's passion, design sense and yes, commercial survival motivations.

Amulets can house more depth than we often realize. And then. And then, there is the beauty of the art.

Lilia, please relate the "gram" story you memtioned. I am unfamiliar with it.

Reactions: Lila and Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I had a thought. (My family cringes when I say this. :fp:-)))

We choose particular necklaces / pendants for different circumstances. I have a pendant of tourmalated quartz that has seen plenty of use.
Do you suppose that because we have more interactions and travel farther from home that we need a variety of stones and gems?

OP
Krena

Krena

Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
Do you suppose that because we have more interactions and travel farther from home that we need a variety of stones and gems?
The short answer is yes, I agree.

About needing this: I will temper that by saying that we are lucky to have those choices, but for me, I have been on the planet long enough to inherit, acquire and create choices. It is a gift that I have been given to be able to have this kind of fun, in addition to a grandmother who loved jewelry and was totally unconcerned about when and where she wore it. Does this mean that I have had a charmed life? Hardly.

When choosing what to wear, in addition to coordinating with what I am wearing, I think about the social venue, who will be there and how I am feeling. I love this kind of problem. I can solve it!

If I am doing plane travel, there are other considerations like weight and value of the pieces (not $$$ as much as personal value). There is one necklace that I made that seems to engage TSA agents so I am pat down less. Quartz amulets seem to always invite questioning: what is that? They always grab it!

Reactions: Linda

Lilia

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2016
Vayuna, via Switzerland
Lilia, please relate the "gram" story you memtioned. I am unfamiliar with it.
it is from a fantasy book series, the main character is a student at a university where he learns to use "magical" techniques, one of them building tools, machines, amulets, in combination with runic engravings that serve a purpose. in one part of the book he finds out that a guy whom he made an enemy of got hold of his blood, meaning that he could be harmed by use of magical skills (the other guy was a student too). so the main character built an amulet that was called "gram", it was adjusted to be used by only himself and magical attacks would to a certain degree be absorbed by that amulet, while the harm wouldnt touch the bearer. the bearer would for example wake up from sleep when an attack happened, the amulet feeling cold if the attacker's figurine would be exposed to cold, or feeling hot when the attack was fire, or heavy if the attacker would do something with stabbing, but there would be no harm done.
it is from the book "the name of the wind" and "the wise man's fear" by p. rothfuss.

Reactions: Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
When I was in Peru I was looking at a stall inside a market in Cusco, and came across a necklace/talisman that I just had to get. I wore it for a while in Peru, but the string broke — lucky I didn’t lose the necklace, but I did lose the string. I mean to replace it, but I have just not got around to doing that. It’s been five years now since that happened. Next year I will return to Peru with our transinets.info group, so perhaps I will sort it out then as I will very likely take the necklace with me.

I can't recall what the stone is but I am sure one of you will recongise it!
Could it be malachite? I have 2 pendants that someone brought me from Mexico a very long time ago.

malachite.jpg

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
No I don't think so as it's a light green. I just had a search on google images and my one may be Chrysocolla.

Brian

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 28, 2016
California
I also don't wear anything on the terms of amulets and/or jewelry. However, after I got a labradorite I kept it on me, tucked away in one of my pockets (which is the point of some amulets). Thus, I could see why one would wear an amulet as some contain crystals/gems allowing one to wear them as a necklace or jewelry in general. I have a wrist band to tie my hair back, but other than that I don't care too much about what I wear, but do care about the crystals themselves. So, woooo for amulets! :-D

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I have a few pieces I need to make into a necklace, but which could also be an amulets of sorts because of their properties.

Here is a photo I just took of them:

amulets.jpg

Reactions: Lila and Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)