Telegram: a new era of messaging (https://telegram.org/) (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I've never heard of it until today, when I notice the pop-up on the Collective Evolution website.

Instead of getting people to sign up via email, they are direction the visitor to follow/join/sign up with them on https://telegram.org/

It's been around since 2013 I see and is similar to Whatsapp, if you would compare.

So i was wondering how CE would benefit and did some research.

Telegram has groups, but with a limit of 200k, however, there's Channels. I think it is likely Channels CE would be using, as you have an unlimited number of followers.

I read a few things on the FAQ, and appreciated these bits:

Q: How are you going to make money out of this?
We believe in fast and secure messaging that is also 100% free.​
Pavel Durov, who shares our vision, supplied Telegram with a generous donation, so we have quite enough money for the time being. If Telegram runs out, we will introduce non-essential paid options to support the infrastructure and finance developer salaries. But making profits will never be an end-goal for Telegram.​

Q: Who are the people behind Telegram?
Telegram is supported by Pavel Durov and his brother Nikolai. Pavel supports Telegram financially and ideologically while Nikolai's input is technological. To make Telegram possible, Nikolai developed a unique custom data protocol, which is open, secure and optimized for work with multiple data-centers. As a result, Telegram combines security, reliability and speed on any network.​

Q: What are your thoughts on internet privacy?
Big internet companies like Facebook or Google have effectively hijacked the privacy discourse in the recent years. Their marketers managed to convince the public that the most important things about privacy are superficial tools that allow hiding your public posts from the people around you. Adding these superficial tools enables companies to calm down the public and change nothing in how they are turning over private data to marketers and other third parties.​
At Telegram we think that the two most important components of Internet privacy should be instead:​
  1. Protecting your private conversations from snooping third parties, such as officials, employers, etc.
    1. Protecting your personal data from third parties, such as marketers, advertisers, etc.
This is what everybody should care about, and these are some of our top priorities. Telegram's aim is to create a truly free messenger, without the usual caveats. This means that instead of diverting public attention with low-impact settings, we can afford to focus on the real privacy issues that exist in the modern world.​

Anyway, it sounds good. I may sign up and start using it as my #1 messaging app and see how the groups and channels go. With Facebook becoming extremely censored and a real pain to use as they increase the types of posts they are marking as fake with fact checkers, we do need to find something we can all agree on as an alternative, which will become popular. I'm not saying this is the one, but it may be a great messaging up app, but with that extra feature of groups and channels.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
GreenMed Info was deleted from Instagram, and Sayer Ji moved it all to Telegram.

• Intriguing Post
Reactions: Laron

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
This sounds very intriguing
(and note that this comment is coming from someone who just wants her technology to work properly and 'as intended' without the nonsense you menion above that's become the norm.)

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Unfortunately you need a cell phone to register on Telegram and I don't have a cell phone. One cannot sign up without giving them a cell phone number.

• I agree
Reactions: Lilia
OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)