Tips Taming the Monkey Mind (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Brad

Spiritual & Meditation Teacher
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Australia
www.mindful-meditations.com
One of the tricky things about meditation, can be taming the monkey mind, or constant chatter. Even regularly meditators can experience this from time to time. It can be an unrealistic assumption to have no thoughts during meditation, but with practice you can extend the gaps of silence in your mind during meditation. Guided Meditation, on the other hand is a bit different, in that your mind is kept active and focused on the guide's instructions throughout the meditation. There are also usually gaps of silence during the guided meditation for reflection and insight.

Many years ago, I was inspired to create a short visualization to help slow one's mind. I called it a 'Clock Visualization' because you imagine a clock face and visualize the clock hands beginning to slow down.

It is available on my website as a free download in Zip format.

Simply click the text link "Clock Visualization Download' on the link below, just under the testimonial, and the download will begin.

http://www.mindful-meditations.com/Guided-Meditation-CD.html

I'd be interested to hear how people find this simple visualization, any feedback is welcomed. :)

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I liked the image of slowing clock hands. There are times when that will be helpful.

I have a little thing I do when those extra thoughts of something I need to do, etc. pop into my head as I settle down into meditation. I see a basket beside my chair and drop those thoughts into the basket. I tell myself I can think about them later.

Reactions: Brian and Stargazer
OP
Brad

Brad

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Australia
I liked the image of slowing clock hands. There are times when that will be helpful.

I have a little thing I do when those extra thoughts of something I need to do, etc. pop into my head as I settle down into meditation. I see a basket beside my chair and drop those thoughts into the basket. I tell myself I can think about them later.
Thanks Linda. That meditation technique sounds like a good one too! :)

Reactions: Stargazer

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
I agree about guided meditation engaging the mind. Slowing down the clock is a great visualization!

The meditation I do uses mantra, and the lineage has a story explaining how to control the monkey mind using mantra. Mantra and breath are interrelated. The monkey is always looking for something to do. Visualize the mantra/breath as a tall pole in the ground, and tell the monkey to climb up and down the pole. Just that. He will follow the breath up and down, and stop bothering you. This is a really short and inadequate description... my teacher explained it much better.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The common thread among slowing clock hands, basket for extraneous thoughts, or pole for monkey to climb is that we don't have to be unhappy with ourselves or get irritated when we our minds are not quiet. There are ways to help the chatter quiet down.

For myself, the day I started saying "It is ok, I can think about this later", a huge weight floated away.

OP
Brad

Brad

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Australia
I agree about guided meditation engaging the mind. Slowing down the clock is a great visualization!

The meditation I do uses mantra, and the lineage has a story explaining how to control the monkey mind using mantra. Mantra and breath are interrelated. The monkey is always looking for something to do. Visualize the mantra/breath as a tall pole in the ground, and tell the monkey to climb up and down the pole. Just that. He will follow the breath up and down, and stop bothering you. This is a really short and inadequate description... my teacher explained it much better.
Thanks Maryann, that sounds like it could be an effective way to deal with 'monkey mind', by imagining a monkey climbing up and down a pole with the breath - I love it!

OP
Brad

Brad

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Australia
The common thread among slowing clock hands, basket for extraneous thoughts, or pole for monkey to climb is that we don't have to be unhappy with ourselves or get irritated when we our minds are not quiet. There are ways to help the chatter quiet down.

For myself, the day I started saying "It is ok, I can think about this later", a huge weight floated away.
Yes I agree Linda, I've found it can also be a bit of control thing as well, rather than allowing things to simply 'be'. If you have thoughts, allow them to come and go, a bit like the ebb and flow of the tides.

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
This is more about the monkey mind then about meditating, but I just learned how to quiet it down and remove negative thinking that used to consume me.Works the same for my body/health too. "it's my mind and it will do as I say. negative feelings OUT"

OP
Brad

Brad

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Australia
This is more about the monkey mind then about meditating, but I just learned how to quiet it down and remove negative thinking that used to consume me.Works the same for my body/health too. "it's my mind and it will do as I say. negative feelings OUT"
Thanks for sharing your direct experience and affirmation technique Pucksterguy. I quite like this one. :)

Reactions: Pucksterguy

Rebecca

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Australia
www.awakenedstarguide.com
Thanks Brad, I will have to check it out ☺ The way I usually clear my mind during meditation is by imagining a chalkboard or whiteboard full of monkey mind thoughts & then using a windscreen wiper movement to wipe/clear them away. I never truly have a quiet mind though as I seem to always get messages from spirit when getting in the "zone" so to speak, hmm I wonder if that's still classed as meditating lol ♥☺

OP
Brad

Brad

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Australia
Thanks Brad, I will have to check it out ☺ The way I usually clear my mind during meditation is by imagining a chalkboard or whiteboard full of monkey mind thoughts & then using a windscreen wiper movement to wipe/clear them away. I never truly have a quiet mind though as I seem to always get messages from spirit when getting in the "zone" so to speak, hmm I wonder if that's still classed as meditating lol ♥☺
Thanks for sharing Rebecca, that also sounds like a good meditation technique. :)

Receiving guidance from spirit during meditation is pretty normal, and happens to me quite a lot too. Many people don't have this connection to spirit so it is a blessing to have this gift.

Reactions: Rebecca

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)